Is it unethical to upgrade your iPhone?

WindowLicker

Nep status
Aug 4, 2021
Considering Apple's proclivity for all their products consistently being glitchy and crashing, buying "new and improved" Apple products is literally like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown.
Apple is quite the opposite

• Haha
Reactions: Kento
May 22, 2020
I still walk around with my iPhone 7. Is it worth the money to buy a new one?
I went to a party last week, and everyone was on their phone taking photos, and here was I, with a broken camera on my phone, LOL. I can't say that it really bothers me, but in a few days, we're going to a location that we rented on aperfectspace.com to take pictures, and I would like to take them on my phone too. Or is it better to ask someone to send them to me via Airdrop and not complicate my life?:D
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Depends if it's still useful. If my Samsung S9 (at 4 years old) hadn't been stolen, I'd not have replaced it until it died completely.
i'm on my 2nd samsung in a row. the s9 and the 10 note +. the s9 started having issues with charging, the cable wouldn't fit snugly anymore and then the battery got worse and worse until it stopped holding a charge. the Note is now having the same issues with not wanting to charge unless i fiddle with the cable a bunch. right as the phone is paid off, a coincidence I'm sure. tempted to go w/ apple next but my lady just got the latest samsung and the camera is amazing. it's got enough zoom to take some pretty decent surf pics even.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I still walk around with my iPhone 7. Is it worth the money to buy a new one?
got the 12 pro last year and it's marginally better than the 8, probably not. just go for the 14 next year and you've doubled your money ;)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i'm on my 2nd samsung in a row. the s9 and the 10 note +. the s9 started having issues with charging, the cable wouldn't fit snugly anymore and then the battery got worse and worse until it stopped holding a charge. the Note is now having the same issues with not wanting to charge unless i fiddle with the cable a bunch. right as the phone is paid off, a coincidence I'm sure. tempted to go w/ apple next but my lady just got the latest samsung and the camera is amazing. it's got enough zoom to take some pretty decent surf pics even.
Here's how the cell phone market scam works in a nutshell. Qualcomm has engineers to pay and needs revenue, so it works on the next chipset according to standards create by wireless committees who need to stay employed. Apple needs to keep up revenues so it sells more handsets with better cameras with higher resolution and partial motion pictures which takes up more data. The carriers provide the infrastructure and make more money when your wife sends more data using the better camera. They discontinue support for previous standards even if you're happy with your old phone.

At the end of the day, this is a jobs program. The user experience isn't getting much better with the latest phone and wireless standard. The whole thing is starting to run into physical limitations and cost limitations that I won't get into b/c you're not engineers.

Reactions: stringcheese

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Change the battery out, buy a new charger chord.

Get several more years out of the same phone.

On my 3rd battery/chord currently. Had this phone 3 years.

Samsung Android.

:shrug:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I got a 7, will prob get a 13 pro when they come out. Wifey has a 12 and the camera is just so much better. Will use the DSLR a lot less in the future, I suspect. I don't care about the rest of the phone, they're all fine. I don't use apps or anything.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Since this post was made, Apple has released seven new phones, your charger no longer works, and when you send a text it auto shames anyone using an older model so everyone knows you aren't as cool as "sent from iPhone X25.7" person.

Sent by samsung galaxy s10+ user, over two years in and more than that left ahead. Not buying the stupid flip or fold nonsense with the book like seam in the middle just because they fvcked up and made a borderline perfect device and now don't have any way to talk me into buying a new one :LOL: