Best Sunglasses?

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
need a new pair. had a set of kaenons. they suck. lenses scratched and got blurry and the frame cracked in half.

need something that has clear lens and look reasonable.

i like the arnette 90's styling. what say u?

for ur troubles:

1630622361544.png

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I buy the polarized ones from the rack at Becker's

$30 and I don't give a fk when I drop them and sit on them and lose them, but they last forever

when I pay a lot for sunglasses I lose or break them instantly

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
once upon a time i got a pair of bill dance fishing sunglasses for $5 with a coupon at big 5
polarized and lasted a long time
certainly a good value
nowadays i get lots of expensive glasses free. oakleys have fallen apart, one pair i got a few drops of water on the lens and it ruined the lenses

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
oakleys any good?
Overpriced crap frames. Frame quality reminds of Prada - the lightest most easily broken sh!t imaginable.

I swear by Spy Optics w/ Happy Lens.
a) doesn't break the bank
b) sturdy frame (I constantly drop, sit on, put surfboards on top of etc so I need that)
c) somehow the lenses don't seem to scratch despite all the above

Cheapo sunglasses ($20 polarized at the surf shop) often have horrible distortion. I bough some on the North Shore a few years ago because I forgot my Spys at home. Seemed fine in the store then on the road I couldn't even drive with them. Ended up driving to Waipahu to pick up a new pair of Spys. Very worth it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Also, Gucci circa 2000 made some great subtle sunglasses with very high quality frames for around $125-$200 which was as much or less than some of the crap sold in surf shops at that time. Might be able to find some on Ebay. Very worth it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I need some new shades too. Nothing fits my fat head. I actually prefer Oakley's and have not had any issues with frames breaking but the lenses scratch too easily. Used to always go w/ Smith because I could get pro forms but none of their newer models fit me quite right. I really liked their Chromapop lenses. Currently wearing some Costa's which are okay but nothing special. Like Oakley I think they are owned by Luxoticca now, like most brands, and the quality isn't what it used to be.

Reactions: Rlacey111 and Havoc

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I need some new shades too. Nothing fits my fat head. I actually prefer Oakley's and have not had any issues with frames breaking but the lenses scratch too easily. Used to always go w/ Smith because I could get pro forms but none of their newer models fit me quite right. I really liked their Chromapop lenses. Currently wearing some Costa's which are okay but nothing special. Like Oakley I think they are owned by Luxoticca now, like most brands, and the quality isn't what it used to be.
You live in Oregon you need to wear pit vipers too .Will go perfect while driving the camo side by side for surf checks or telling kooks from california to beat it

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Plus one on Spy

Also, Blenders are decent for the price.

But if you want something with clear lenses that are high-quality you can’t beat Persol

Reactions: Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Once in my life I bought expensive sunglasses, Persols while living in Italy (exchange rate at the time made them less expensive). They're good and would last a lifetime...but I came home and promptly lost them capsizing a Hobie Cat. :foreheadslap:

https://www.persol.com/usa/0PO0649--24-57

Ever since I've had cheap (under $50) sunglasses. I presently have some Quiksilvers that must be 15 years old...wrap around, tortoise shell, amber lenses (kind of like old Vuarnets). Still solid, a few scratches.

Casa buys Prada and Gucci????

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Can't go wrong with Ray Ban. Many of their models come in different sizes so you can get frames that fit your face.