Goodbye, Shortboards - A Personal Manifesto

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
so edgy bro! slowed down or sped up, I'd rather watch any of you surf than this clown with his spastic exaggerated movements on a retro midlength. god that was awful
:socrazy:
Hmm, I thought that was his best video ever. Not very much hand jive, and some pretty solid hacks and lip hits. Peeps hate this, but like the clowns on the twin fins video?

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hmm, I thought that was his best video ever. Not very much hand jive, and some pretty solid hacks and lip hits. Peeps hate this, but like the clowns on the twin fins video?
Eye of the beholder I guess. His style just seems so affected and exaggerated to me. Yes, plenty of the twin fin vids the last couple years are cringe too. It’s not an either / or. Plenty of lame style out there on all types of boars. Don’t get me started on HPLBing. LOL

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Pacey and Kerr rip. I have no idea who Bryce Young is.

I think everyone who has ever stood up on a Fred Rubble is surfing better than Alex Knost (when he's on his longer stuff). But I think cruising is wave misuse unless it's shin high point surf, and I don't care how hard it is to approach the lip at 10 degree angle of attack, toss your hands and your head, and then descend the face 10 degrees below flat, on some Nixon-era hideous winged swallow single fin.

IMHO you give Martyn a 6'4"-6'6" relaxed rocker thruster and he'd be surfing better instantly.

Style is hands-down the least important and most overrated aspect of surfing. If you're this worried about style and how you look, take a look at your sun-damaged grill in a mirror sometime, move to Milan, stop eating, and dress like the locals.
There. You're stylish now.
Nat Young's son - Bryce...

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Nat Young's son - Bryce...

Yewww clip!!

:55 is fkn gnarly as, la'

That doesn't really look like goodbye shortboard surfing though. That looks like hello twin asym or whatever shortboarding. Specifically :55, I wouldn't say I see much in the way of 7'6" midlength or egg going that top to bottom, that fast, that on rail, that tight to the pocket.

Reactions: bluengreen

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Yewww clip!!

:55 is fkn gnarly as, la'

That doesn't really look like goodbye shortboard surfing though. That looks like hello twin asym or whatever shortboarding. Specifically :55, I wouldn't say I see much in the way of 7'6" midlength or egg going that top to bottom, that fast, that on rail, that tight to the pocket.

14:23. Pretty sure that's a lovelace v.bowls. about an 8fter?

He can surf anything.