Goodbye, Shortboards - A Personal Manifesto

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Last winter I was camped out at a point break in Baja for a few weeks and the two best surfers who I shared the lineup were a couple firefighters from San Diego. One was 49, the other 52. The older guy was a slender fellow and he rode a 6'8 round tail twinny. He surfed it beautifully. Long, swooping cutbacks, deep bottom turns. Flowing, seamless carves on the open face. The 49 year old was a stockier dude and was riding a tiny Xanadu thruster. He was strait up shredding. Fins out the back on his snaps, full rail gouges and buckets of spray on every turn.

It really stoked me out to see guys that age still surfing so well. I hung out with them drinking beers and talking story a couple times. We talked boards and the younger guy said he had some alt boards but he kind of struggled to figure them out and just wanted to hit the lip so "that weird sh1t", as he put it, wasn't really his thing. The older guy said he'd been the same way and then a buddy of his shaped him a channel bottom twin and he just clicked with it right away and now had a whole quiver of them.

It's funny because I love alt boards, mostly twins of varying persuasion, but whenever the waves get juicy and at all consequential I just want to be on a thruster because they are so familiar and predictable for me.

I'm not sure what the point of this was. I guess just that nearing 40 is still pretty young and just ride whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I think it was Kersy who said that the only people who should be riding potato chip type HPSBs are pro surfers and those under 20.
Alternative shapes with a little more float are a lot more fun 95% of the time. Hybrids, fish, mid lengths and logs give the average Joe/Jane a lot more enjoyment in their surfing.

• Dislike
Reactions: GromsDad and teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I was talking to Bert. He manages Surfboard Outlet, which carries a lot of different labels, Sharpeye, CI, Bing, and local shapers Vercelli, Arakawa, HIC, Kashiwai among others.Bert mentioned Britt Merricks interview that alt boars aren’t going to replace a hpsb if you want to surf high performance. I told him it looks like a race to the middle. The newbies on longboars are trying to dial in smaller boars to achieve more performance. While the older life-long surfers are giving up performance for paddling and wave catching ease. Middle/medium performance.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I was talking to Bert. He manages Surfboard Outlet, which carries a lot of different labels, Sharpeye, CI, Bing, and local shapers Vercelli, Arakawa, HIC, Kashiwai among others.Bert mentioned Britt Merricks interview that alt boars aren’t going to replace a hpsb if you want to surf high performance. I told him it looks like a race to the middle. The newbies on longboars are trying to dial in smaller boars to achieve more performance. While the older life-long surfers are giving up performance for paddling and wave catching ease. Middle/medium performance.
LOL. Ive been referring to my own surfing ability the last couple years since 40 as Medium Performance.
Like @Aruka said, I like all kinds of alt stuff until it gets overhead/good... then I don’t need the compromise, I want that roundpin thruster.

Last edited:

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
To me, everyone-including elite, genetically gifted pros- look worse on anemic boards. I like flow, and wave riding; not double, triple bottom turns, shitty wiggling, hopping n other assorted ugliness between “major maneuvers” etc- not my cuppa. Everyone’s surfing looks so much better to me on more pedestrian equipment. But diff strokes for different folks!

That being said, I’d be ecstatic if everyone was riding glass slippers. More waves for me!!

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
yeah, an uncomfortable truth is that low volume can also be a crutch for declining performance.

Guys who undersize to think they are shredding because they don't have the technique or strength to do proper turns.
so much garbage, Flicky, underpowered n ugly surfing = maxi shreds for the rippa bro bois on the hobbitz boars.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Last winter I was camped out at a point break in Baja for a few weeks and the two best surfers who I shared the lineup were a couple firefighters from San Diego. One was 49, the other 52. The older guy was a slender fellow and he rode a 6'8 round tail twinny. He surfed it beautifully. Long, swooping cutbacks, deep bottom turns. Flowing, seamless carves on the open face. The 49 year old was a stockier dude and was riding a tiny Xanadu thruster. He was strait up shredding. Fins out the back on his snaps, full rail gouges and buckets of spray on every turn.

It really stoked me out to see guys that age still surfing so well. I hung out with them drinking beers and talking story a couple times. We talked boards and the younger guy said he had some alt boards but he kind of struggled to figure them out and just wanted to hit the lip so "that weird sh1t", as he put it, wasn't really his thing. The older guy said he'd been the same way and then a buddy of his shaped him a channel bottom twin and he just clicked with it right away and now had a whole quiver of them.

It's funny because I love alt boards, mostly twins of varying persuasion, but whenever the waves get juicy and at all consequential I just want to be on a thruster because they are so familiar and predictable for me.

I'm not sure what the point of this was. I guess just that nearing 40 is still pretty young and just ride whatever makes you happy.
who made his channel bottom twins?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Pacey, Kerr, Burch, Knost, Martyn, Bryce Young ... Who here is surfing better than them on their Fred Rubbles?
Pacey and Kerr rip. I have no idea who Bryce Young is.

I think everyone who has ever stood up on a Fred Rubble is surfing better than Alex Knost (when he's on his longer stuff). But I think cruising is wave misuse unless it's shin high point surf, and I don't care how hard it is to approach the lip at 10 degree angle of attack, toss your hands and your head, and then descend the face 10 degrees below flat, on some Nixon-era hideous winged swallow single fin.

IMHO you give Martyn a 6'4"-6'6" relaxed rocker thruster and he'd be surfing better instantly.

Style is hands-down the least important and most overrated aspect of surfing. If you're this worried about style and how you look, take a look at your sun-damaged grill in a mirror sometime, move to Milan, stop eating, and dress like the locals.
There. You're stylish now.