Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Dec 28, 2020
Anyone with experience on a Stamps round-tail GrinderX (GXRT), Pretty Face, or Blindspot? Looking for a versatile step-up/good wave board. Wait time worth it compared to picking up a stock Ghost?

Does anyone ride something similar from Surf Prescriptions they'd recommend over those?

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone with experience on a Stamps round-tail GrinderX (GXRT), Pretty Face, or Blindspot? Looking for a versatile step-up/good wave board. Wait time worth it compared to picking up a stock Ghost?

Does anyone ride something similar from Surf Prescriptions they'd recommend over those?
Had a gx (5’10), gx-round tail (6’1), and Blindspot (6’1).

still have a Blindspot round tail (6’3) and a ghost (6’1).

first, ghost is nothing like any of the stamps boards. Ghost range kind of starts to light up when the stamps are near their limit.

Blindspot and the gx round tail over lapped, both sized at my height, Blindspot 1/4” wider but same thickness, rails and volume.

IIRC the gx round got in easier/earlier but I liked the Blindspot more up and riding in all around conditions.

I didn’t really like the range of the gx round tail. Kind of found a ceiling on it too soon, and I wanted more cheat on days i thought it called for it and was otherwise riding the gx (5’10) or Blindspot (6’1).

kept the Blindspot round tail bc of the extra range but honestly end up on the ghost or rusty blackbird instead these days.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've had GX, GXRT, Blindspot and a couple Ghosts. I'd pretty much echo what @sdsrfr said. Ghost sort of picks up where those boards leave off. I would say I really liked my GXRT but it's definitely more of a daily driver than a step up, despite the round tail. Tim does make a great step up that would have similar range as a ghost but they are sized more traditionally, so a little more stretched out than a Ghost. One of my all time favorite step ups was a 6'6" Next Step that he made me years ago. If you want a Ghost, get a Ghost. Especially if the stock dims work for you and you are able to fondle before buying.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
@sdsrfr Which did you prefer, Gx (5'10) or Blindspot (6'1), both squash I presume?
Yep, both of those were a squash. I liked the GX more.

Blindspot is more of a mellow-ish hpsb while the gx is more of a stubby short board with a bump squash.

both had surprisingly similar ranges up surfing but the shorter GX always made more sense and bonus of getting into waves and navigated the lineup slightly easier.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Yep, both of those were a squash. I liked the GX more.

Blindspot is more of a mellow-ish hpsb while the gx is more of a stubby short board with a bump squash.

both had surprisingly similar ranges up surfing but the shorter GX always made more sense and bonus of getting into waves and navigated the lineup slightly easier.
What's filling the spot in your quiver now that you don't have a GX?

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ