BFR/Occlusion Bands/Kaatsu?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
been reading that use of these bands is all the rage at the Olympics....for strength training and joint rehab. am trying to rehab a knee injury and there seems to be some agreement on the effectiveness of this technique. anyone have any informed thoughts on the subject? :waving:

edit: also understand that the inflatable ones are preferred but not quite ready to drop $300-$400 on a set of inflatable cuffs. are there benefits in using the cheaper (adjustable but not inflatable) version? thanks!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Had to look that up. Interesting stuff. From a quick google search it seems pretty well established for promoting hypertrophy and strength, but not quite as well studied with regards to the cardiovascular system. Since I was advised against lifting heavy by my cardiologist, but still want to develop strength so I can keep surfing until I'm 100, I'm going to keep an eye on this. It sounds like it can drive strength gains without overtaxing the cardiovascular system and is indicated for "advancing age." That said, I am always wary of "shortcuts."

ps- Might not work to increase back strength. What are you going to cuff?

Last edited:

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
i'm kind of in the same mind set (and probably the same demographic) as you - this is what caught my eye in the first place:

...and struck a chord since i am trying to fix a knee problem. it seems like whatever restriction you put on the vessels has to be above the joint in question, so knees, arms etc look obvious but not sure how shoulders and back could be helped with this technique.

there is also some talk that inflatable cuffs are more effective than just straps, but before i drop a few hundred $'s on those, i ordered a set of these this morning:

and while i would love to get stronger in general, at 62, i think it's more realistic for me to focus on preserving what i have...particular since this knee problem has significantly decreased my activity level over the past month.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
and...another "maybe" "iffy" trend...
i stumbled across it during the Olympics....seems to have some believers amongst the Olympic trainers. i liked the idea of doing more with less weights, either for rehab or just fitness...added BFR bands to my workout a few weeks ago and i can feel the difference. maybe a placebo effect :shrug:

what i do know, after many years trying to stay fit, adding anything new helps keep the fitness stoke alive, which is as important as anything else.

Reactions: SurfDoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Had to look that up. Interesting stuff. From a quick google search it seems pretty well established for promoting hypertrophy and strength, but not quite as well studied with regards to the cardiovascular system. Since I was advised against lifting heavy by my cardiologist, but still want to develop strength so I can keep surfing until I'm 100, I'm going to keep an eye on this. It sounds like it can drive strength gains without overtaxing the cardiovascular system and is indicated for "advancing age." That said, I am always wary of "shortcuts."

Back is about motor control.

Are you doing the hollow body progression?

Google it

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
i stumbled across it during the Olympics....seems to have some believers amongst the Olympic trainers. i liked the idea of doing more with less weights, either for rehab or just fitness...added BFR bands to my workout a few weeks ago and i can feel the difference. maybe a placebo effect :shrug:

what i do know, after many years trying to stay fit, adding anything new helps keep the fitness stoke alive, which is as important as anything else.
Are you taking creatine?

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
I would recommend that. Cheap, safe, effective

I suspect it would give you more gains than occlusion.

Not that I have anything against occlusion.

It was originally developed to counter muscle loss in old people.
tried it years ago, i seem to recall it upset my stomach.....

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
That could be about purity and dose. You don't need to take much. 5 grams a day. They used to have you mega dose when you first started.
i believe that was the case - i recall there was a loading phase of creatine intake. but i don't think creatine really addresses the problem that BFR bands seems to solve: i want to maintain/preserve muscle (not even concerned with gains at age 60+, though they would be a nice bonus)...but my joints really don't like the heavier weights it takes to do that. particularly elbows, shoulders, back etc - for example, a set of curls at normal weight is hard on the elbows, and i really feel the soreness the next day. if i use the BFR bands, i'm doing curls at 30%-50% of maximum and it feels like i'm getting the same workout (or better, but that might be my imagination)....and no joint pain, at the time or the next day. the BFR routine is basically many more reps at considerably less weight.

haven't looked into creatine for a long time, but i understand it allows you to lift heavier weights and therefore, gain/maintain more muscle. that would be great, but the heavier weights aggravate the joints. for example, i don't really do many chin-ups/pull-ups anymore because they just feel like they're tearing up my elbows etc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Being stronger will help your joints

I was having joint issues to due weakness that have cleared up due to getting stronger.

I will try the cuffs

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I was having joint issues to due weakness that have cleared up due to getting stronger.

I will try the cuffs
Problem for me is how do you cuff for the back???

Creatine? Is that something that once you start you have to continue indefinitely? What happens when you stop?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Problem for me is how do you cuff for the back???

Creatine? Is that something that once you start you have to continue indefinitely? What happens when you stop?
You don't.

Hollow body position.

Take a teaspoon of creatine a day for as long as you working out.

It's cheap and safe.

You might loose some of your gains but you will keep some if you quit

Reactions: One-Off

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

this is so 2018 duu. just focus on the strength training and avoid all the silly bs

sussle

Oct 11, 2009

I will try the cuffs
how old were you at the time? i suspect my issues are likely just high mileage on my moving parts :roflmao:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
how old were you at the time? i suspect my issues are likely just high mileage on my moving parts :roflmao:

Coming back from a long layover. Lots of injuries. I joined a gym two months ago and went really light on the machines.

Should be back to regular lifting soon.

Taking it slow.

Reactions: sussle

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
i believe that was the case - i recall there was a loading phase of creatine intake. but i don't think creatine really addresses the problem that BFR bands seems to solve: i want to maintain/preserve muscle (not even concerned with gains at age 60+, though they would be a nice bonus)...but my joints really don't like the heavier weights it takes to do that. particularly elbows, shoulders, back etc - for example, a set of curls at normal weight is hard on the elbows, and i really feel the soreness the next day. if i use the BFR bands, i'm doing curls at 30%-50% of maximum and it feels like i'm getting the same workout (or better, but that might be my imagination)....and no joint pain, at the time or the next day. the BFR routine is basically many more reps at considerably less weight.

haven't looked into creatine for a long time, but i understand it allows you to lift heavier weights and therefore, gain/maintain more muscle. that would be great, but the heavier weights aggravate the joints. for example, i don't really do many chin-ups/pull-ups anymore because they just feel like they're tearing up my elbows etc
Creatine benefits recovery, which would likely improve what ever it is your working on...size or strength. It's also a brain food. Studies are starting to coalesce around the mental benefits as well.

You don't need to load it.....5 grams a day.