The Atlantic is a joke

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Both GG and MT are like, "Russia was a nothing burger."

More accurate would be that the left wing media wasn't careful in their Russia reporting and they got a lot wrong.

That said, there was lots of Russia involvement in trump and the election.

To say there was nothing is not true.

I don't get that.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
What sins of the right does he not get triggered by?

he built his name reporting on the sins of the right
And he’s spent the better part of the past half a decade crying about journalistic integrity and pointing his finger at the media while getting paid to appear on Tucker Carlson.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I like people who are willing to tear down sacred cows

generally, I think we should all be able to agree that GG's arc is quite odd

Matt Taibbi seems to be following a similar path where they are kind of like "fk em all"
Fk em all is the proper response to anything when it comes to government officials

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm glad that GG and MT both have their platforms and opinions. They have both done some very good reporting in their careers IMO. I think they might have a bit of outsider syndrome, especially GG. Lately his shrill tone makes me want to tune out but I'm not convinced that he is totally compromised or anything. Going on Tucker is what it is. They won't let him on MSNBC anymore so, why not? I do think the Russia election stuff was way overblown but what else is new, we've been overstating Russian power and influence for my entire lifetime. Maybe I'm wrong and facebook memes got Trump elected. I am still persuadable so please point me to any compelling evidence. I think the story was too complicated and convoluted and I just gave up at some point.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I'm glad that GG and MT both have their platforms and opinions. They have both done some very good reporting in their careers IMO. I think they might have a bit of outsider syndrome, especially GG. Lately his shrill tone makes me want to tune out but I'm not convinced that he is totally compromised or anything. Going on Tucker is what it is. They won't let him on MSNBC anymore so, why not? I do think the Russia election stuff was way overblown but what else is new, we've been overstating Russian power and influence for my entire lifetime. Maybe I'm wrong and facebook memes got Trump elected. I am still persuadable so please point me to any compelling evidence. I think the story was too complicated and convoluted and I just gave up at some point.
I see it as pretty simple Russia tried to help Trump and Trump welcomed the help and all the meetings and connections. What effect it had on the results is impossible to determine.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Just to add, and I could be wrong but, my sense is that guys like Greenwald and Taibbi don't go hard on people like Trump or the rest of the crazy right wingers because it's somewhat of a given that they don't agree with them. I think they are more concerned with calling out what they see going wrong with their own side, as much as they have one. I don't get the sense that either of them are far right or anything?? Both of their reporting has often been less partisan and more of a critique of established power structures as a whole such as Taibbi's reporting on the 2008 financial crisis and Greenwalds domestic spying pieces.

I see it as pretty simple Russia tried to help Trump and Trump welcomed the help and all the meetings and connections. What effect it had on the results is impossible to determine.
Yeah well that's a far cry from what Rachel Maddow was spinning night after night. The truth about Trump is bad enough. There is no need to embellish, that just undermines public trust IMO.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Just to add, and I could be wrong but, my sense is that guys like Greenwald and Taibbi don't go hard on people like Trump or the rest of the crazy right wingers because it's somewhat of a given that they don't agree with them. I think they are more concerned with calling out what they see going wrong with their own side, as much as they have one. I don't get the sense that either of them are far right or anything??
You aren’t wrong, this is 100% correct. However in today’s climate you have to redundantly reiterate your hatred for the other side at least in relatively equal quantities unless you want to get ilked. Calling out the rot on your own side = white knighting for the other :toilet: :drowning:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Do you think anyone who cares about journalistic integrity should be giving Fox News or Carlson the time of day?
Again, it’s a chance to reach out to the public, along with a demographic that would normally not hear from them. Especially if no other channels want to host him.

Pretty much all cable news outlets have egg on their face at this point.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Again, it’s a chance to reach out to the public, along with a demographic that would normally not hear from them. Especially if no other channels want to host him.

Pretty much all cable news outlets have egg on their face at this point.
He has 1.6million followers and WAS the co-founder of his own media outlet before he revealed himself as sassy bitch and thought he was above the editorial process and quit.

• Haha

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
He has 1.6million followers and WAS the co-founder of his own media outlet before he revealed himself as sassy bitch and thought he was above the editorial process and quit.
Cool story bro. There is still a large swath of people who would never be exposed to him had he not gone on Cucker.

This is why nobody wants to be a liberal anymore. The purity tests have gotten too stringent with all of the potential “one drop” offenses that get you forever ilked. It’s exhausting.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
1.6 million followers, very few of which probably watch fox news. He has his own side of the story in regards to why he left The Intercept.

I'm not advocating for anyone to go on Tucker to support him or lend him any legitimacy since I find him deplorable and I have my doubts that anyone who watches his program is reachable at this point. On the other hand he's one of, if not the most widely watched "news" anchors on television That's a huge audience so it would seem that statistically there's a chance you could actually get through to a couple people. And honestly, these are some of the people we really need to get through to.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
1.6 million followers, very few of which probably watch fox news. He has his own side of the story in regards to why he left The Intercept.

I'm not advocating for anyone to go on Tucker to support him or lend him any legitimacy since I find him deplorable and I have my doubts that anyone who watches his program is reachable at this point. On the other hand he's one of, if not the most widely watched "news" anchors on television That's a huge audience so it would seem that statistically there's a chance you could actually get through to a couple people. And honestly, these are some of the people we really need to get through to.
Tulsi Gabbard said more or less the same thing when the knitting circle on The View challenged her for going on Tucker.

Reactions: Rlacey111 and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
This is why nobody wants to be a liberal anymore. The purity tests have gotten too stringent with all of the potential “one drop” offenses that get you forever ilked. It’s exhausting.
Ya I can't even whack off in front of my employees without catching flak these days it's ridiculous.

IM JOKING, THAT WAS A JOKE.

I do think that some of the identity politics/woke stuff has gone too far but I view that as a fairly predictable swing of the pendulum and it doesn't upset or worry me nearly as much as the racist/militaristic/fascist tendencies fomenting on the right. My biggest problem with purity test/wokie stuff is that I think it is strategically unwise. It's counter productive to get too bogged down in that stuff if you are trying to build a party that will serve the interests of the lower/middle working class.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
It's counter productive to get too bogged down in that stuff if you are trying to build a party that will serve the interests of the lower/middle working class.
People who dismiss The Atlantic do not intend to aid a political party that would serve the interests of the low/middle working class.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink