Surf ear redux

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I suffered from surf ear (water trapped inside resulting in ear infections if even forgot plugs one-time level) for 2 decades but kept it at bay enough with plugs and hood to avoid surgery. Moved to the tropics for several years and it actually reversed I think. When I returned to the cold, dawning a hood it stayed unclogged for years until just recently during a trip to the tropics it got clogged again and now is susceptible to clogging even with hood, which is a bummer because the water has been high 50's where I surf recently and no need for a hood. Anyways it is currently at a degree where it doesn't stay clogged long and was thinking of putting Debrox in (hoping that it is just wax build up making the difference) and then flushing it out but afraid that it will just fill up the ear and trap a bunch of water inside. I haven't gone back to plugs yet thinking it will make whatever is inside fester. I guess my question is any recommendations for this degree of ear? Thanks bros!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
See doctor and if you try any drops first go 1:1 white vinegar and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Leave in ear with head tilted a least 30 seconds each side and use cotton ball to stay in ear.

Reactions: One-Off and chilly1

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Last time I had clogging issues was wax actually. Ear doc removed a big ole gnarly chunk and said it was at 15% closure which is about baseline for this ear post chisel. And I would wear plugs 24/7 even with a hood.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I wouldn‘t put vinegar in your ear unless the goal is to have your ear smell like a freshly douched pu$$y.

Ear wax is oil based, so oil based drops is the best/most effective to use- Debrox recommended by my doc. I just had second ear chiseled a couple weeks ago, have had the good ear totally blocked via ear wax as well. I’ll repeat- if having ear problems- don’t be stupid &/or lazy - go to the fckn doctor and have it looked at.

Reactions: chilly1 and sizzld1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks all! Wore plugs/hood the last couple of seshes and will let my ear mellow after a few more dry days, then try debrox and warm water flushing with a syringe, evaluate...my goal is to either surf with hood or with plugs, not both.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I wouldn‘t put vinegar in your ear unless the goal is to have your ear smell like a freshly douched pu$$y.

Ear wax is oil based, so oil based drops is the best/most effective to use- Debrox recommended by my doc. I just had second ear chiseled a couple weeks ago, have had the good ear totally blocked via ear wax as well. I’ll repeat- if having ear problems- don’t be stupid &/or lazy - go to the fckn doctor and have it looked at.
Vinegar is not for the wax its to keep clean and free of bacterias from water stuck in ear:foreheadslap: wax I would use ear syringe with warm h20 but if its that bad best to leave to doc and vacum out.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Vinegar is not for the wax its to keep clean and free of bacterias from water stuck in ear:foreheadslap: wax I would use ear syringe with warm h20 but if its that bad best to leave to doc and vacum out.
Thanks man, my hope is for the Debrox to break things up a bit and then hit it with a syringe and warm water. Last time I tried it when there was Jack bought the other one was more difficult. The air has definitely been much worse and I had doctors trying to vacuum for like an hour, not sure what's worse than or the dentist. Necessary for sure but hopefully I won't have to get there

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
After you do the Debrox and the fresh water douche, let it drain for 20 minutes or so and then put a few drops of alcohol in each ear to try and dry the ears out.

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
After you do the Debrox and the fresh water douche, let it drain for 20 minutes or so and then put a few drops of alcohol in each ear to try and dry the ears out.
Thanks, JKB, a good call and hadn't thought of that. Hopefully, ur scoring something this weekend, swell is scarce!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Rowjimmy's 1:1 distilled vinegar/rubbing alcohol mix is what the MD's at the House Institute prescribed for me post op. They told me the store bought brews are essentially the same thing in fancy packages with a higher price tag...

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Why vinegar though?

Doesn't rubbing alcohol accomplish the same thing as vinegar but have added benefit of evaporating?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com

I used debrox and a warm water syringe rinser a few years ago. It took about a week, but I got some nasty crap outta my ears with it.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Why vinegar though?

Doesn't rubbing alcohol accomplish the same thing as vinegar but have added benefit of evaporating?

"A homemade cure can be mixed from a solution of half rubbing alcohol and half vinegar. The alcohol combines with water in the ear and then evaporates, removing the water, while the acidity of the vinegar keeps bacteria from growing. Apply a couple of drops of solution in each ear. This home remedy is recommended for those with repeat infections."

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I used debrox and a warm water syringe rinser a few years ago. It took about a week, but I got some nasty crap outta my ears with it.
A week huh, I went 2 days-with no wax coming out that I could see, and then forgot, probably start again tonight. I used to get a bunch out just with the syringe and no debrox so after 2 times and no jackpot I kinda figured my ear was either swollen or I am just screwed.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I have the same problem as you.

Don't use vinegar. Get ear wax oil and buy an ear wash kit off amazon. It's a water sprayer with a tiny hose that can fit in your ear. Put ear wax oil in your ear and let it sit for a bit then use warm water and soap and flush your ear. Every couple weeks I will pull rock size chunks of wax from my ear. It's disgusting but I am able to keep infections away.

My ENT said some people just create a bunch of ear wax and the only thing you can do is clean it out.

Also, don't use Q tips.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I have the same problem as you.

Don't use vinegar. Get ear wax oil and buy an ear was kit off amazon. It's a water sprayer with a tiny hose that can fit in your ear. Put ear wax oil in your ear and let it sit for a bit then use warm water and soap and flush your ear. Every couple weeks I will pull rock size chunks of wax from my ear. It's disgusting but I am able to keep infections away.

My ENT said some people just create a bunch of ear wax and the only thing you can do is clean it out.

Also, don't use Q tips.
Thanks M!