YOLO ALERTS

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
We all know the erBB has been absolutely showing up this summer with some huge, risky new board YOLOs. Here's a thread to celebrate the fact that YOLO and surfboards are transient.

To start things off, here's my most recent YOLO. Saw this sick IF15 pop up on Timmy Patterson's site. I don't really have HPSB that I love right now (at least not a newish one) and I've always wanted to try one of these. Arrived in the mail earlier this week. It's fondle approved. Can't wait to light this one up.

View attachment 114660IMG_7977.jpegIMG_7976.jpeg

Fineprint: YOLOs are required to contribute to this thread.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
To me YOLO is a sliding scale that depends on a number of factors.

The less interaction with the shaper and the less input on dims, the higher the YOLO. Also construction and price is a factor. The more exotic and expensive, the higher the YOLO. Also the wait counts. A poly from Pavel counts as a YOLO regardless of price.

The biggest YOLOs posted are carbon type builds in stock dims from a hipster shaper.

But basically any out of the norm purchase on a whim counts.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
To me YOLO is a sliding scale that depends on a number of factors.

The less interaction with the shaper and the less input on dims, the higher the YOLO. Also construction and price is a factor. The more exotic and expensive, the higher the YOLO. Also the wait counts. A poly from Pavel counts as a YOLO regardless of price.

The biggest YOLOs posted are carbon type builds in stock dims from a hipster shaper.

But basically any out of the norm purchase on a whim counts.
This.

Custom can be yolo, but a low scale yolo, considering you talked to the shaper and less chance of a dud.

An online purchase, at night, without talking to shaper, is peak yolo cause that sh!t could be a dog and you just spent around a $1,000 on a carbon fiber or resin swirly turd.

Mid scale yolo I'd say is custom with a wild resin swirly or asym fins/tail. Similarly mid scale yolo is off the rack / online, clear PU.

Also buying an additional board when picking up a board is peak peak YOLO.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
This.

Custom can be yolo, but a low scale yolo, considering you talked to the shaper and less chance of a dud.

An online purchase, at night, without talking to shaper, is peak yolo cause that sh!t could be a dog and you just spent around a $1,000 on a carbon fiber or resin swirly turd.
Ok, I'm good with this. But like, the point of this thread was to show off YOLOs. Not debate the criteria. Let's go bros. Show us some sweet shred sticks.

Reactions: JDJ

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
This.

Mid scale yolo I'd say is custom with a wild resin swirly or asym fins/tail. Similarly mid scale yolo is off the rack / online, clear PU.

Also buying an additional board when picking up a board is peak peak YOLO.
Yolod for a Stretch 2Win fish once.

Board looked nice but for some reason it surfed terrible. I dunno what it was.

I have 7 Stretch boards and all work phenomenal. The one I yolod off the online store on their site was the bad one. All my customs good.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
That’s definitely part of the adrenaline rush of the YOLO.
One of the most nerve racking surfs of my life (it was head high) was the first session on the Varial Twinsman ($950).
Paddling out was peak anxiety. I was already doing the math in my head before I caught a wave, "Ok if it's a dog, do I think I could get $750 on Craigslist? $650? Okay, so I spent $300 to ride it a few times."