Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico in December

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
Im going with the wifey and her family in December. Any recommendations for waves/tips/tricks? Thank you

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Im going with the wifey and her family in December. Any recommendations for waves/tips/tricks? Thank you
Looked at this zone a few times when storms/canes windwrecked places South, but never been. For surfing, I'd try to stay someplace with waves out the front. For wife/family time considerations, and access, and crowds. Those waves all look like you want to be on it as the sky starts changing colors, so your wave count is above the "success" threshold before a panga/lancha with 10 people on 10' boards rocks up. Then you can watch it like a roosting falcon and hop on the shift changes, and maybe sunset.

That Anclote wave looks like longboard rental material.
I might prioritize a fishing pole and mask/snorkel/fins.

I flew in/out of PV one year and killed the last day and a half in town. Everyone gets a drink and watches the sunset, like the whole place just stops what its doing for 10 minutes.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That whole area lights up on a swell.

I got skunked there too.
It seems like that whole area lights up on a swell that never comes. I dunno if surfline just refuses to even consider a SW making it through the islands. I thought the SPAC islands were more of a size/consistency cut in half than a straight block.

Not sure how much the canyon feeding Banderas helps, but it looks to me like Punta Mita needs a 205, everything else needs 220+, and every swell starts out as a 200 and dies out as a 180.

I can't for the life of me figure out how Sayulita is ever even rideable.

• Haha
Reactions: parkiteric

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It seems like that whole area lights up on a swell that never comes. I dunno if surfline just refuses to even consider a SW making it through the islands. I thought the SPAC islands were more of a size/consistency cut in half than a straight block.

Not sure how much the canyon feeding Banderas helps, but it looks to me like Punta Mita needs a 205, everything else needs 220+, and every swell starts out as a 200 and dies out as a 180.

I can't for the life of me figure out how Sayulita is ever even rideable.
Yes, it's the swell that never comes.

You need a Hurricane.

I stopped going for that reason.

But when a hurricane pushes swell in there there are so many spots that are completely flat the rest of the time.

Reactions: parkiteric