Official Bird & Nature Post

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
So I have this long-time friend who is quite an enthusiastic amateur photographer and takes tons of photos with many featuring our local wildlife.

Couple of days ago she ran across a gathering of Eagles where someone had dumped a bunch of cod bits and pieces.
Here's one of them hogging a good piece all to himself.

EagleFeedingCod.jpg

There were lots of carcasses available and some of the birds grabbed various bits and found a rock to eat from, all quite peacefully.
EagleFeedingTwoRocks.jpg

But, when food is involved there are often disagreements over who gets what, who is first, who gets the best spot and so forth. Sometimes they get all dramatic too.
EagleScrapFlying.jpg

As one might expect, a bounty such as this attracts other scavengers, such as crows, ravens and turkey vultures.
Here's a crow telling off a vulture for being dumb enough to eat seaweed.
Cheeky bugger.
TurkeyVultureCrowConfab.jpg

And here's the vulture heeding the advice from the crow and heading off to find some real food.
TurkeyVFleeing.jpg

But he couldn't resist one look back, just in case the mean old crow had left.
TurkeyVProfile.jpg

Lastly, here's my friend goofing around and featuring what she calls her "40's" look.
Not bad for a 73 year old woman, eh?
And her name is Karen and she was Miss Campbell River in 1966.
My girlfriend came second to her. LOL

Karen40sLook.jpg

She has taken some awesome pics, including this final one.
Sunrise makes the water quite reddish and the reflection on the heron looks pink.

HeronPinkedOut.jpg

Take care.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I would surely wallow in 'em yessir.
If I weren't married that is.
This thread is so the most.

I'm gonna try to get a picture of these Ospreys I kayak with, before they and their young fly the coop.

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Great eagle photos Hump!
Up in Yakutat, AK there's an old logging barge dock a couple of miles outside of town where everyone, including the lodges dump their fish, moose, bear, deer carcases.
We went out there one time to check it out (You can see bears out there sometimes) and it was low tide.
We walked up to the edge and looked over and spooked a flock of at least 50-60 bald eagles chowing down, they all took off at the same time, it sounded like a helicopter taking off.
Bald Eagles up there are as plentiful as crows.

One other time we were headed out to Harlequin lake to check out the glacier ice burgs.
Its a 30mi old dirt road the Army left behind during WWII.
We got pretty far out there and while driving we looked up at the top of this big cottonwood and there was an eagle's nest, it was huge, about the size of a small spa.
We stopped to check it out and there was a fledgling sitting on the edge looking down at us, pretty cool.
All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see something coming in — It's mom with a big pink salmon in her talons coming in with dinner, she landed in the nest and then we could hear more fledglings squawking for their share.
We all stood there speechless.
I looked at my friends and said "now that right there was a National Geographic moment!"
I'm stocked, headed back up for 10 days in Sept. after missing out last year for obvious reasons.