Travel to the 'stans...Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, etc... maybe Azerbaijan, Georgia

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Ever wonder how many 'Stans' there are?

Kazakhstan
Tajikistan
Uzbekistan
Kyrgyzstan
Turkmenistan
Afghanistan
Pakistan

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Kyrgyzstan is supposed to have some insane hiking. Like walk out the door and up the pass and you have some wild alpine scenery that you would normally have to hike days to see.

Georgia has been on the radar of budget travelers for a while. Friendly people and good food and also crazy mountain scenery.

Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan are dictatorships, especially the latter as mentioned above.

I never realized how vast that part of the world was until I looked at the monitors in the Istanbul airport. Nuts.

Reactions: tacos

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Kyrgyzstan is supposed to have some insane hiking. Like walk out the door and up the pass and you have some wild alpine scenery that you would normally have to hike days to see.

Georgia has been on the radar of budget travelers for a while. Friendly people and good food and also crazy mountain scenery.

Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan are dictatorships, especially the latter as mentioned above.

I never realized how vast that part of the world was until I looked at the monitors in the Istanbul airport. Nuts.
there are people in the stans posting pictures of the passes and river valleys on reddit

it is pretty insane stuff

Reactions: grapedrink

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Have long thought about visiting the stans. I spend endless hours on google earth and they have some stunning beauty that rivals PNC.

The whole middle east terrorists kidnapping thing seems a bit offputting though.

Kyrgyzstan

Silk Road Panir Highway between Turkmenistan and Kyrgyzstan

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Have long thought about visiting the stans. I spend endless hours on google earth and they have some stunning beauty that rivals PNC.

The whole middle east terrorists kidnapping thing seems a bit offputting though.

Kyrgyzstan

Silk Road Panir Highway between Turkmenistan and Kyrgyzstan

Like @VonMeister said, just go to Turkey. There are a lot of man-made things to see there and it's at the crossroads of East and West (the Bosphorus). Iran would be cool for the same reasons if you wouldn't end up like Billy in Midnight Express.

If you want to see natural beauty like this, there's plenty in the US.

There's a reason everyone wants to visit the West and immigrate here.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Which erBBer has traveled to the most countries? I'm guessing someone in here probably in the 50+ country range.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Like @VonMeister said, just go to Turkey. There are a lot of man-made things to see there and it's at the crossroads of East and West (the Bosphorus). Iran would be cool for the same reasons if you wouldn't end up like Billy in Midnight Express.

If you want to see natural beauty like this, there's plenty in the US.

There's a reason everyone wants to visit the West and immigrate here.
My Iranian students have all been cool dudes.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Which erBBer has traveled to the most countries? I'm guessing someone in here probably in the 50+ country range.
I've been throughout all but one continent. I know John4surf has been around as well.

I flew to Tripoli Libya in August of 2012 and while we were scheduled to go to Benghazi the acting Libyan government cancelled our trip and shortened our stay. Tripoli was a trip...there were cafes and restaurants and shops open in the day but at night eating and drinking was always at a persons house due to kidnappings between tribal groups. Total had most of the tribes on their payroll so their employees got a pass. A lot of western governments were using Total credentials to get people through the country.

Last edited:

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
ND FU
The original thick eyebrows.
DUMB.

I dated this beautiful girl from Pakistan for two years after my wife died. She was absolutely gorgeous, always had a big smile on her face, and was super intelligent, fun, kind and generous. There was also the part about her having a great body, perfect rack, and she liked to go boom boom. She was 30 years younger than me, and she eventually decided that she really did want kids, so we had to part. I had already raised three, so did not want to ruin her dreams. We are still good friends, and communicate almost every day. She is probably the nicest person I have ever known.

Well, other than her mother, two drop dead good looking sisters, and her father who is still my friend. In the culture of the Stans, man is king, and you get treated like one. Her mother--who by the way, had a PHD in Physics from Purdue-waited on me hand and foot. I love her. Go there . The women treat you like you are a god.

I'm going.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Went out with a Persian chick whose parents were loaded. She was tall and crazy beautiful, but also crazy. And so in her own world, I couldn't take it longer than one date. Also, her parents had a guy picked out for her so she was debating marrying him just to please them. Totally fucked family dynamic. I ran. I ran so far away.