Rounded pin tail twins

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
If watching Torren surf his twins inspired me to try the design, the surfing in that video makes me want to run away from it.

I was seriously thinking of trying a diamond tail. I've heard the diamond shortens the rail line so the board feels a little shorter. I haven't ridden a diamond since the 1970's, so I really don't know.

Couldn't they find a better surfer to show off the strengths of the design?
Mid 70's Diamond Tail

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
If watching Torren surf his twins inspired me to try the design, the surfing in that video makes me want to run away from it.

I was seriously thinking of trying a diamond tail. I've heard the diamond shortens the rail line so the board feels a little shorter. I haven't ridden a diamond since the 1970's, so I really don't know.

Couldn't they find a better surfer to show off the strengths of the design?
Trip should've held onto the video until he at least got a turn off maybe

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
I get that their audience is the advanced adult learner surfer but I just felt dirty watching that video:sick:

u think they knew they surfed like that b4 the video came out?
i suspect they feel dirtier than u after watching it

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and JTS

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a custom MC Twin Pin in either 6'7 or 6'9. Been circling around some sort of twin pin and saw a 6'11 in Patagonia in Cardiff and it looked really nice but a little big for me. That diamond tail version above doesn't really look great to me.

I'm between the MC or possibly the new CI Twin Pin in more like 5'11. Saw a couple of these in Katin and they look pretty sweet as well. Just not sure if a mid 6 foot board makes sense or I want something shorter for the punchy beach break I usually surf. Been addicted to my 7'0 egg so thought a shorter MC twin pin might be a nice alternative for punchier waves where the egg doesn't really fit.
Did you pull the trigger on the MC twin pin? I'm considering one as well. Would love to hear some more feedback

Reactions: rowjimmytour

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Did you pull the trigger on the MC twin pin? I'm considering one as well. Would love to hear some more feedback
I know an older guy (50s) ripper with one a few inches taller than him. Used to be a diehard single boar hpsb thruster duu. Now he just rides the MC in everything and kills it.

bit of the archer over the arrow bc I’ve seen some adult learners on them and they can’t seem to get their first wave on the books.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I bought a 6'7 MC twin pin off MrSteve a few weeks back (thanks man). So far only ridden it once in pretty small surf but was definitely fun. Was thinking of it for bigger surf, sort of an egg step up, but it went pretty well in punchy waist-stomach high beachbreak. Nicely foiled and no extra fat anywhere. My gut is that it will be super fun in bigger surf where you can really use the rail more. Seem like enough rocker for more dredgy waves where my 7'0 Takayama style egg is sketchy. Glassed pretty light for a board that size, I might go with heavier glass job if I was getting a custom but was stoked on the opportunity to pick up used. MC really knows what he's doing.

I also rode my friends SurfRx Tor Twin a few times in California and Mexico. The Tor Twin is a much bulkier and flatter board. It didn't suit me as well but I got a couple of gems on it over the winter at Cardiff Reef, just not what I'd want for east coast beachbreak or Mexican points. That one has a real flat rocker under the front foot which was constantly tripping me up. The apex of the rocker curve of the MC is pushed back more so it doesn't have a tendency to catch like the SurfRX. The forward vee also helps in that regard.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I bought a 6'7 MC twin pin off MrSteve a few weeks back (thanks man). So far only ridden it once in pretty small surf but was definitely fun. Was thinking of it for bigger surf, sort of an egg step up, but it went pretty well in punchy waist-stomach high beachbreak. Nicely foiled and no extra fat anywhere. My gut is that it will be super fun in bigger surf where you can really use the rail more. Seem like enough rocker for more dredgy waves where my 7'0 Takayama style egg is sketchy. Glassed pretty light for a board that size, I might go with heavier glass job if I was getting a custom but was stoked on the opportunity to pick up used. MC really knows what he's doing.

I also rode my friends SurfRx Tor Twin a few times in California and Mexico. The Tor Twin is a much bulkier and flatter board. It didn't suit me as well but I got a couple of gems on it over the winter at Cardiff Reef, just not what I'd want for east coast beachbreak or Mexican points. That one has a real flat rocker under the front foot which was constantly tripping me up. The apex of the rocker curve of the MC is pushed back more so it doesn't have a tendency to catch like the SurfRX. The forward vee also helps in that regard.
Good stuff @rgruber

Havent ridden the 7-2 Gibbons a lot but so far my sense is that its not a small wave mush burger slayer. Between the heavy glass, the fairly narrow tail and the not-flat rocker it just feels like it doesnt have much glide when the waves are gutless. Kind of a bummer because i was sort of hoping it would be more of a small wave cheater. Traded boards with a buddy for his NPJ 2+1 6-8 and the thing was so much faster and more fun on a chest high mushy day than the AG.

On the plus side it feels pretty good when the waves are stood up. Got a few early entry rights from behind the peak which allowed for drawn out bottom turns that felt amazing. Plenty of grip off the bottom. Thinking some upright twins will be going in next time I ride it. Still havent gotten any solid right handers on it yet but I think it will be really fun in the right surf. Whether i will want to pick it over a shortboard or fish remains to be seen.

Reactions: bluengreen

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Good stuff @rgruber

Havent ridden the 7-2 Gibbons a lot but so far my sense is that its not a small wave mush burger slayer. Between the heavy glass, the fairly narrow tail and the not-flat rocker it just feels like it doesnt have much glide when the waves are gutless. Kind of a bummer because i was sort of hoping it would be more of a small wave cheater. Traded boards with a buddy for his NPJ 2+1 6-8 and the thing was so much faster and more fun on a chest high mushy day than the AG.

On the plus side it feels pretty good when the waves are stood up. Got a few early entry rights from behind the peak which allowed for drawn out bottom turns that felt amazing. Plenty of grip off the bottom. Thinking some upright twins will be going in next time I ride it. Still havent gotten any solid right handers on it yet but I think it will be really fun in the right surf. Whether i will want to pick it over a shortboard or fish remains to be seen.
Aruka at first I had trouble paddling my 6'9" It 2win into knee and waist high beach break could not get it moving fast enough. I found if you get her moving steady speed like a Cadillac and use the size instead of burst of speed to catch waves she grovels alright. I am not sure how your AG rocker is but mine when you speed burst paddle you push water and makes it harder catch small stuff but once up she does great and tons of fun :shaka:

Reactions: Aruka and trifish

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

doc tor twin is made for flatter mush think hb etc. one of the duus who reviews boars loved the one he tried

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Question for the San Diego guys on here. Anyone try one of the Ghostshapes Plow Town or Sakal Sabre model? I am considering embracing my middle age by getting a midlength Torren style twin. Seems like Sakal has some good reviews on here. Thanks.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I have a 6’9” Sakal Sabre. nothing but positives to say. The thing actually has way more upper end range than I expected. I assumed it would be like a long board replacement but it likes a decent wave. It’s become a sit outside the pack on good days board when I’m not in the mood to battle.

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I have a 6’9” Sakal Sabre. nothing but positives to say. The thing actually has way more upper end range than I expected. I assumed it would be like a long board replacement but it likes a decent wave. It’s become a sit outside the pack on good days board when I’m not in the mood to battle.
Thanks for your perspective. It looks like a really nice board. Ryan seems like a nice guy too.