Inflation

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
it's next month

of course these guys are going to take selfies...right?

more pics of the curve from space!

#IBELIEVEALLNASAS

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't want it to happen.

I would just be "Ha! Dummy! Should have build a wave pool!"
The billionaire's game seems to be building infrastructure out to rural areas to ship more low-quality chinese goods to rural poors and build more warehouses. Consequently, they need internet where it's too expensive to lay copper and think they're going to use satellite. I have my doubts:
https://www.theverge.com/22435030/starlink-satellite-internet-spacex-review
Amazon is trying to do a different form of starlink with different user terminals. You have to have precise beam steering because they satellite internet only works line-of-sight over a great distance and the transmit and receive beams frequently get misaligned.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Hilly billies need their shitty Chinese crap.

I try to buy stuff not made in China but it's impossible.

Slave labour = max profits.

At least with the starlink, you can remote work at some deserted point break in the South China Sea. #iwon't

Ray Davies was freaking out about this 30 years ago

#billonareshouldjustbuildwavepools

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Hilly billies need their shitty Chinese crap.

I try to buy stuff not made in China but it's impossible.

Slave labour = max profits.

At least with the starlink, you can remote work at some deserted point break in the South China Sea. #iwon't

Ray Davies was freaking out about this 30 years ago

#billonareshouldjustbuildwavepools
The only way this is going to be profitable for Amazon is if they get the government to pay for it and keep all the profits. Socialized costs; privatized profits:
The goal is to launch 3,236 communications satellites into orbits that tightly hug Earth and provided high-speed, low-lag internet service to "tens of millions of underserved or unserved" customers, Dave Limp, Amazon's senior vice president of device and services, told TechCrunch during its Space 2020 virtual conference on Wednesday.
This is insane - putting that many birds in orbit. I doubt it will live up to promises because it uses frequency bands that suffer high attenuation meaning Tx/Rx beam alignment will need to be very good, basically necessitating a direction-find receiver. It's one thing to make this work in a lab and quite another to make it work with satellites in orbit. Also, Farcebook and Google just cancelled similar projects using balloons.

Amazon and SpaceX/Musk know software. They don't know this domain.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
And a complex one it is indeed!

This is just like when Sting tried to be an actor.
Nailed it. This is complexity for the sake of complexity. We used to have a rural form of tech called ag. Little guys could get into it, breed genetic lines of livestock and crops, and make a decent living. This was subsidized by rural light manufacturing: bathroom fixtures, silverware etc. Now we have none of those things because of guvmint price tampering and offshoring.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Nailed it. This is complexity for the sake of complexity. We used to have a rural form of tech called ag. Little guys could get into it, breed genetic lines of livestock and crops, and make a decent living. This was subsidized by rural light manufacturing: bathroom fixtures, silverware etc. Now we have none of those things because of guvmint price tampering and offshoring.
US Ag is still very robust. Globalization is a serious issue, but the real threat is economies of scale and consolidation. Little guys can’t stay afloat and end up selling out their piece to the big boys.

Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My meat guy is doing great business

This guy does well too:
We just tried breeding our meat rabbits. This isn't going according to plan.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
We just tried breeding our meat rabbits. This isn't going according to plan.
My sisters get chicken from them.

It's food for rich people.

(I just eat a lot of beans)

:roflmao:

I tried growing sweet potatoes.

FAIL!

I tried to grow poppies

FAIL!

Farming is hard!

There is an upside to the division of labor.

Some people have no problem raising animals and having relationship and then killing them for food.

#Ican'tbeyourfriendandtheneatyou.

It's like knowing a guy who's wife you are F'ing.

I can't do it.

Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Gas has gone down 10 to 20 cents in the past couple of weeks. Talked to a realtor friend tonight - the rise in real estate prices is starting to slow.

I'll bet by the end of the year inflation will be easing substantially.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
One way to not be freaked out is to buy expensive sh!t in the first place.

My pastured raised meat is so expensive.

I only eat it twice a week and then it's beans and vegetables the rest of the time. And I never eat out.

I buy expensive booze.

My sister got me into drinking expensive wine.

It wreaked me.

I'm a wine snob now.

Expensive wine is all about mouth feel.

As a consumer I am kind of done.

I just need to practice my guitar.

Or do what the rich people do.

Just have more money

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You can brew booze and raise rabbits. The local craft brewery seems to be cheap. Not everything is getting expensive, just the things essential for life.