XTR

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
How is XTR in terms of communication? Emailed the "xtrsales" address a few questions over the weekend and I'm wondering when/if I might expect a response. :cheers:

Reactions: Aruka

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
XTR/Retro Ripper Report
6'6x21.5x3x45L
Ordered this model for average to better surf 3-8' and an edge with getting in under the ledge and paddling ease in mind.
Hadn't had an XTR in a while, had several then a very poorly finished sanding job on my last one/coupled with the timing of carbon wrapped tech, etc. lead me away. After trying various fin setups came back to my tried and true from my magic Mini Driver, the yellow Futures MB1 as a quad with TMF 1. It may sound like a lot of fins but where the quad alone feels a bit small/stiff/pivoty the TMF just compliments it perfectly with positive drive, for me. Been surfing it in small 2-5 frontside semi-hollow down the line reef point surf and this board does not disappoint. Even in waist-high for a rounded pin, this board is free and lively down then line carves swiftly and fairly effortlessly full rail tight in the pocket, rapidly releases and ready to go again. The design combo with vee/double/vee and flat deck with down rails seems a custom fit for this style ride. For me, it's a winner when a board goes in curvy small and you just know it will activate when things turn on. I highly recommend it, its not really a throw tail design...but maybe as a thruster.
The basic stringer XTR feels sooo good and lively, I think it's 6oz glass, plenty light but not too light, just right. I've been riding carbon wraps and C4 lost builds and XTR is back at the top of my list. XTR bonus.. ducked onto a rock, noticed a small ding, and rather than plugging it with wax and cursing a forecast of a couple weeks drying out... I could almost care less.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I've had a few boards from XTR over the years. Agree that they are very easy to order and give you great access to the designs of world-class shapers. I've tried a few of their constructions: blue HD stringer, wooden stringer, Red SL-CK, Yellow SL-CK and that very fancy and expensive aluminium strip one (have they discontinued that?). The SL-CKs last forever, so I would always get that. The aluminium looked cool, but I sold the board (SP2) because it only really worked in super clean, glassy conditions. Nearly all the boards have had minor defects though. However, the construction really does last on the ones I've had. My Hydronaut has taken some battering, but still looks good with very few pressure dings.

Last edited:

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I've had a few boards from XTR over the years. Agree that they are very easy to order and give you great access to the designs of world-class shapers. I've tried a few of their constructions: blue HD stringer, wooden stringer, Red SL-CK, Yellow SL-CK and that very fancy and expensive aluminium strip one (have they discontinued that?). The SL-CKs last forever, so I would always get that. The aluminium looked cool, but I sold the board (SP2) because it only really worked in super clean, glassy conditions. Nearly all the boards have had minor defects though. However, the construction really does last on the ones I've had. My Hydronaut has taken some battering, but still looks god with very few pressure dings.
XTR is bulletproof.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
XTR is bulletproof.
Some photographic evidence to suggest otherwise from some posts around here.

More durable than standard PU builds for sure, but my experience with the 8.C SL-C I bought last year (finish issues notwithstanding) was that it seemed to dent and snackle like my Pureglass Futureflexes. I really liked the FF build, so it’s not a knock on XTR, but I had hoped for more since XTR was more expensive.

XTR’s foam not absorbing water if dinged is a plus compared to Futureflex, but I’m giving my business to Varial for the near future.

The weight and flex value discrepancies of the two supposedly identical boards from XTR had me thinking their operation isn’t as detailed oriented as I had hoped.

My two+ year old Varial didn’t arrive without some small issues: resin tint was overlooked on the order card (which they didn’t charge me for) and there was a 1/4” diameter by 1/8” deep glassed-over translucent hole where the machine’s blades cut too deep, but the board’s balance, edges and weight felt so good I didn’t care too much about the two issues.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Varial workmanship and XTR don't belong in the same conversation. My XTRs were garbage and I was very unhappy with how much it cost me. Numerous sand throughs and super thick rails on both of them.

My Varial neckbeard 2 was flawless.
First off, I just ordered a varial, excellent service, knowledge, etc, and all accounts I've heard are consistent with your take on their craftsmanship.

HOWEVER, the guys at XTR are great, and bend over backwards for their customers. Their prices are also cheaper. I currently own a Rusty SD, Album Twinsman, and Album Lightbender, all from XTR in various techs. I have surfed all of them quite hard, for long periods, and they're in great shape with all the liveliness they had on day 1. Amazing feel underfoot, and a great product. I've never had any significant issue with their craftsmanship, but if I did, I guarantee they world more than take care of me.

Varial is good competition for XTR, but I like driving down the street into Vista with a sixer when I pick up a new board and thank them in person.

Both make good boards.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
HOWEVER, the guys at XTR are great, and bend over backwards for their customers. Their prices are also cheaper.
I just built the same board on both sites, and XTR was about $200 cheaper. Seems like they didn't get the memo.
I've also had great boards from XTR that are still bulletproof after years. zero complaints. But the more recent quality control issues (like muscles and others) have made me wary.
Have had two varials in the last year, and they are both perfect. Really like the feel of their construction. Will probably order next boar from Varial.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Some photographic evidence to suggest otherwise from some posts around here.

More durable than standard PU builds for sure, but my experience with the 8.C SL-C I bought last year (finish issues notwithstanding) was that it seemed to dent and snackle like my Pureglass Futureflexes. I really liked the FF build, so it’s not a knock on XTR, but I had hoped for more since XTR was more expensive.

XTR’s foam not absorbing water if dinged is a plus compared to Futureflex, but I’m giving my business to Varial for the near future.

The weight and flex value discrepancies of the two supposedly identical boards from XTR had me thinking their operation isn’t as detailed oriented as I had hoped.

My two+ year old Varial didn’t arrive without some small issues: resin tint was overlooked on the order card (which they didn’t charge me for) and there was a 1/4” diameter by 1/8” deep glassed-over translucent hole where the machine’s blades cut too deep, but the board’s balance, edges and weight felt so good I didn’t care too much about the two issues.
If you want it to be bulletproof you need to get it with a stringer and 4+4/4 or more. So I will modify my statement. Stringered XTR with 4+4/4 or heavier is bulletproof in my experience.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
First off, I just ordered a varial, excellent service, knowledge, etc, and all accounts I've heard are consistent with your take on their craftsmanship.

HOWEVER, the guys at XTR are great, and bend over backwards for their customers. Their prices are also cheaper. I currently own a Rusty SD, Album Twinsman, and Album Lightbender, all from XTR in various techs. I have surfed all of them quite hard, for long periods, and they're in great shape with all the liveliness they had on day 1. Amazing feel underfoot, and a great product. I've never had any significant issue with their craftsmanship, but if I did, I guarantee they world more than take care of me.

Varial is good competition for XTR, but I like driving down the street into Vista with a sixer when I pick up a new board and thank them in person.

Both make good boards.
I like your style. I've brought them donuts before and some gatorade for Jerry (the repair guy) on a hot day when he fixed a ding while I was there waiting. XTR is great! Getting a little feedback on here before ordering is a good idea. @Muscles - did you hit up XTR about the problems you had (i didnt read through the thread)?

Last edited:
Reactions: SixtyGrit

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Does anyone know the general economics for a medium sized shaper, if they offer their boards through XTR/Varial/dark arts etc vs building it themselves? I don’t know if it makes sense for them, but I’d love to see more options as a consumer. For example, I have my eye on a few Panda models. But he’s running 20 weeks, and that’s for PU. If I could get it in 6 weeks in XTR, they’d be ordered yesterday.

in normal times it’s got to be better $ if they build it themselves??? But these days it’s capacity constraints

Jul 4, 2021
Waiting on a XTR surfboard while reading through these quality control horror stories like :eek:. I was already worried I had built it out too thick :ROFLMAO: