If you left California, where would you move?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Haha, it's all good, CAT.

Yeah, it has three ponds, though I think they're all dry. Would love to resurrect one and take my boys fishing. The seller told me he hunts deer right on his own land. Gonna create a little dirt bike track on the SE side of the property. It's a whole new world for Fresno.

bass pond, outdoor track, and a concrete bowl in the barn. Sounds like a great place to visit :D

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Mission Update: We sold our house in southern California, for a lot over asking, within a couple days. Closed on a mini-farm in Middle Tennessee. Now I'm in the market for a John Deere tractor...haha. Never in my life did I think I'd be here. Life is a trip.

Really excited about the move. Miss the odd, magic session with the boys, but they became so few and far between that it wasn't worth staying. Didn't stop me from ordering a new board from Stamps, which I'll surf when we come back in July for a week.
Surfing in Southern California is an absolute shitshow. If the base isn't good I'm not paddling out except maybe a rare early morning surf at Ox Shores...but I don't like waking up early...it's not gentlemanly. Just watching my buddies grind out session after session is terrible. You're missing nothing.

Haven't figured out where home is going to be yet, we're a little nomadic right now. Maui and somewhere else. Maybe Hill Country Texas where you can get a flight to Central America or much of the the Caribbean and be there in around 3 hours. Thought about QLD but with one in kid in college and one in junior high that's a few years away.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Surfing in Southern California is an absolute shitshow. If the base isn't good I'm not paddling out except maybe a rare early morning surf at Ox Shores...but I don't like waking up early...it's not gentlemanly. Just watching my buddies grind out session after session is terrible. You're missing nothing.

Haven't figured out where home is going to be yet, we're a little nomadic right now. Maui and somewhere else. Maybe Hill Country Texas where you can get a flight to Central America or much of the the Caribbean and be there in around 3 hours. Thought about QLD but with one in kid in college and one in junior high that's a few years away.
Yea I can’t deal with that type of grind.

If the surf is crowded I’ll look for something less crowded. Recently got into foiling as well in the summer and it opens up a lot more options in small surf

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Wanted a slower pace of life, some acreage in the "country" and still be near some bigger cities. Another big reason is that Tennessee is one of 7 or 8 (i forget) states that has no state income tax. Will be especially nice when I retire. So got a flying job out here.

So far, the people out here have been really great. Its just different than California and that's exactly what we wanted. It's weird though, since I was born and raised in Southern California. It's all I've ever known.

Stringcheese, bless your heart... :cheers:
Nothing but racists and bigots out there.

It's all KKK

Did you attend your first Klan meeting yet?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Nothing but racists and bigots out there.

It's all KKK

Did you attend your first Klan meeting yet?
It’s prob a great place if you not brown.

I’m brown so f that. I not going there.

Everytime I lived anywhere east of the Mississippi I got called racist slurs

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Well, I left California in 1999, and after a "tour" of the northeast, we decamped to France in 2012. Can't say I miss the US at all (long live national health care), and there'z more than enough waves in France to satisfy anyone, from hidden nooks in Normandy and Brittany down to all the Bay of Biscay thumpers. And mostly no crowds except for July/August down around Hossegor and points south but remember it's a beach break, so just walk 500 meters and you're alone again...

Downside is taxes. Did I mention the taxes? No fun paying more than 50% for a middle class income...but at least we have a social safety net that would cushion an elephant...

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
indo for over two yrs now / not for everyone but spit time between jungle and bali which is a good mix - i could live in jungle but probably become "that guy" so good to go back and forth

have to head home in the next few months
to wrap it all up- then be here full time

my kid has no desire to go home - she said college in europe or Australia and she has a golden ticket in nias

love the USA but better suited for se asia with tubes motorbikes and the women

i am tall and rich over here

as a surfer place like indo

god bless fresno ripper met him in nias
great move for his family

this pic alone makes it all worth it
emma paddling up face while
her old man comes out of a shaxkView attachment 111021
Stocked for you two
1623241969474.jpeg

Reactions: Truth

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
I would love to move to Australia or New Zealand, but apparently they don't accept old, broke losers like me. My grandparents were Canadian on one side and English on the other, so I'm kind of wondering if I can get dual citizenship somehow. The U.S. is no place to be old and broke.
I hate the idea of giving up surfing, but it's so f*cking crowded now I'm hardly doing it anymore anyway.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I would love to move to Australia or New Zealand, but apparently they don't accept old, broke losers like me. My grandparents were Canadian on one side and English on the other, so I'm kind of wondering if I can get dual citizenship somehow. The U.S. is no place to be old and broke.
I hate the idea of giving up surfing, but it's so f*cking crowded now I'm hardly doing it anymore anyway.
Whatever wetsuit you're wearing in LA, up it by 1mm for the English/Canadian Summer, and 2 for the English/Canadian autumn, and 3 for the winter/spring.

Reactions: Witchipoo

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I can't think of many places I liked less than New Zealand.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
These rules seem right but sounds like you have never been to SO CA and seen lineup full of 4/3 hoods and booties in July:foreheadslap:
Only been to California in December and January, but I take you all's word for it and so I made the guide relative. 4/3 at Malibu in July = 5/4 at Fistral/Tofino in Summer, 6/5 in fall, and sit out frozen season. Or if they make 7mm there you go. Although honestly you should be ordering custom wetsuits from grorious Nippon with smoothskin unless you have an affinity for inferior materials and craftsxheship.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
UK will take care of you, if you call NHS being taken care of though.

Get papers showing your relationship to said Briton ancestry, get to local embassy, start procesures for passport, citizenship, etc...

Me? I'd visit the god forsaken place first though, that ought to be enough to sway you from your crazed idea.

:shameonyou::socrazy::roflmao:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
UK will take care of you, if you call NHS being taken care of though.

Get papers showing your relationship to said Briton ancestry, get to local embassy, start procesures for passport, citizenship, etc...

Me? I'd visit the god forsaken place first though, that ought to be enough to sway you from your crazed idea.

:shameonyou::socrazy::roflmao:

Witchipoo has been around the block - I think if she googles "mean sunshine hours" and "monthly precipitation" and "cost of living" that'll be enough.

Tea time is supremely civilized.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Witchipoo has been around the block - I think if she googles "mean sunshine hours" and "monthly precipitation" and "cost of living" that'll be enough.

I hate da fuggers myself.

Too many sadist nuts from that archipelago here for me to ever want to visit where they come from, and assemble en masse!

:poke::toilet:

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu

That's the thing, though. I'm kind of over the heat here. I spend half the year dreading the other half. I just want to sit inside on a rainy day and listen to Joy Division while I cut myself and eat haggis.
Is the cost of living worse than Los Angeles? Jeebus. :foreheadslap: