If you left California, where would you move?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Mission Update: We sold our house in southern California, for a lot over asking, within a couple days. Closed on a mini-farm in Middle Tennessee. Now I'm in the market for a John Deere tractor...haha. Never in my life did I think I'd be here. Life is a trip.

Really excited about the move. Miss the odd, magic session with the boys, but they became so few and far between that it wasn't worth staying. Didn't stop me from ordering a new board from Stamps, which I'll surf when we come back in July for a week.
How's the bug situation?

Post some pics.

I want to see!

I'd have a killer carver wave ramp and gym if I were on a farm landlocked.

Apr 18, 2012
NYC
I tried living completely away from the ocean (in Colorado) for a couple of years, but eventually it drove me crazy and I had to move back near a large body of water. The advent of surf cams didn't help my years of isolation....I did get good at fly fishing and snowboarding, but it's not really the same...

Reactions: Havoc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
And one thing I worry about as I get older is pretty easy access to health care....it would suck to need to drive 2 hours (or hop a flight) to get some medical care we'll all will need at some point. Sucks to think about, but it's true...
I have a handful of pleasant South American towns on my radar that check the boxes (waves, weather, scenery) and are close enough to larger cities with good doctors (rich people in developing countries get sick too :roflmao:). Planning to split my time between the states and one of those places. Who knows what kind of cash we will have to shell out for out of pocket expenses in 30+ years :drowning:

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Mission Update: We sold our house in southern California, for a lot over asking, within a couple days. Closed on a mini-farm in Middle Tennessee. Now I'm in the market for a John Deere tractor...haha. Never in my life did I think I'd be here. Life is a trip.

Really excited about the move. Miss the odd, magic session with the boys, but they became so few and far between that it wasn't worth staying. Didn't stop me from ordering a new board from Stamps, which I'll surf when we come back in July for a week.
Congrats on the move, Frez.

Beware of the hot chicken out there. That sh!t gave me a food hangover like I've never experienced before.

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
you could even dig your own bass pond with all that land.....nice! (didn't mean to be negative of people's moves away from the crowded coastlines)
Haha, it's all good, CAT.

Yeah, it has three ponds, though I think they're all dry. Would love to resurrect one and take my boys fishing. The seller told me he hunts deer right on his own land. Gonna create a little dirt bike track on the SE side of the property. It's a whole new world for Fresno.

Reactions: mundus

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
The thing I cannot deal with is traffic.

If I have to drive 1 hour to do anything. I am over it.

Different strokes. I drive a couple hours a day. Even if I don't have any reason to. :unsure: I would miss my California freeway, weed smoking, hip hop blasting, under the speed limit driving, me time.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf and Havoc

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Man Id have one hell of a backyard bowl if that was my property! Btw, that blue Bonzer and I have fallen deeply in love since you let her go. The hardest part is keeping other peoples hands off her.
Hahaha, right on! I'm glad she's at a good home. There is something special about a Bonzer Egg

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Why did you choose Tennesee
Wanted a slower pace of life, some acreage in the "country" and still be near some bigger cities. Another big reason is that Tennessee is one of 7 or 8 (i forget) states that has no state income tax. Will be especially nice when I retire. So got a flying job out here.

So far, the people out here have been really great. Its just different than California and that's exactly what we wanted. It's weird though, since I was born and raised in Southern California. It's all I've ever known.

Stringcheese, bless your heart... :cheers:

Dec 17, 2019

Thats a trip, I did the exact same thing in Feb. (minus the farm). Thought it would take some time to get over surfing and San Diego but ive never looked back. Love it here. Left my stamps at my parents in sd and going out to in a few weeks. Should be interesting to surf again