If you left California, where would you move?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Yes. Inland California sucks. No one should go there.
Well it does actually suck.

Hot. Traffic to go anywhere on the coast

No airports within 30 minutes.

No snowboarding close by.
No surf close by.

Can't do anything outside in the summer cause its blazing hot.

Not for me.

Reactions: LifeOnMars

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
?????

Isn't the entirety of the Sierra well inland, and the coast ranges a bit low/warm for consistently snowboardable conditions?

Truckee and Mammoth Lakes look pretty far inland to me, and compared to Florida, the snowboarding looks pretty close.
When I think Inland most people referring to riverside area and central valley

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
When I think Inland most people referring to riverside area and central valley
Central Valley I've got nothing. I didn't realize it was an hour and a half, one way, to Big Bear from Riverside. I thought it was like 45 minutes. Google maps said the 18 has closures. That happened to me and my buddy the one time I went there, we had to go East and cut back - took forever in heavy snow with the chainless somehow getting past CHP and sliding off every turn.

The trip out the 18 was opened back up and it seemed like it took barely 2.5 to get from the lot at Summit back to Potty.

Berdoo to Mountain High for the victory.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
That violet needs a shitload of Eastern Riveside and Imperial County added to it. About halfway along that trip SE towards Arizona, it needs to hang a right and scoop up some real estate.
Technically speaking, the violet line could pretty much be the entire San Joaquin Valley, and the entire southern half of the state. All of socal is basically a big desert.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Technically speaking, the violet line could pretty much be the entire San Joaquin Valley, and the entire southern half of the state. All of socal is basically a big desert.
In terms of strictly rainfall I would defer to you on that one. In terms of being a blast furnace 5 months of the year, I'm going to say Laguna Beach is more pleasant than whatever is 45 minutes West of Lake Havasu.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
In terms of strictly rainfall I would defer to you on that one. In terms of being a blast furnace 5 months of the year, I'm going to say Laguna Beach is more pleasant than whatever is 45 minutes West of Lake Havasu.
Rain? What's what again? I forgot.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Thought long and hard about where I would live next and decided surfing was no longer a factor in the decision making process for a multitude of reasons. That then lead me to base my search around my two other favorite pastimes, mt biking and snowboarding.

After an exhaustive online search of what was available for purchase in every single town of the mountain west I struck gold.

There is still affordable land/homes in Southern Colorado but it is going fast. In the time it took to complete the title process my property had appreciated significantly.

One thing that can be factored into the budget if you play your cards right is the lack of property taxes. My property retained the agricultural zoning of the OG ranch they created the subdivision from. $68.14/year

Last edited:

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Mission Update: We sold our house in southern California, for a lot over asking, within a couple days. Closed on a mini-farm in Middle Tennessee. Now I'm in the market for a John Deere tractor...haha. Never in my life did I think I'd be here. Life is a trip.

Really excited about the move. Miss the odd, magic session with the boys, but they became so few and far between that it wasn't worth staying. Didn't stop me from ordering a new board from Stamps, which I'll surf when we come back in July for a week.