Why's Everything So Expensive?

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Certain items are way more expensive. Talked to a buddy who builds houses and lives on the Central coast. Said sheets of plywood were $18, now $60. Building materials are $$.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Certain items are way more expensive. Talked to a buddy who builds houses and lives on the Central coast. Said sheets of plywood were $18, now $60. Building materials are $$.
having retired from home building 10 yrs ago, thought this was bs. quick search has 1/2 cdx sheeting running $76/sheet and 3/4 subfloor @ $88 per.

was $11 for 5-ply and $15 for subfloor when i said adios. granted these are bigbox homeowner prices but holy sht

no wonder the london breed wants $12,000,000,000 (thats right nine zeros) to house the 35,000 homeless in the bay area.

Reactions: MathDebater

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
material costs are 2x - 4x on the East Coast - demand is high for labor - costs of everything is up, up, up.

some tradesdudes i know think that prices may only come down slightly in the future as they hadn't gone up much in years and now is a good situational excuse for the manufacturing side to creep in a general price bump to maintain some of what logistical shortages prompted.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Just dropped $200 on $150 worth of groceries. Transitory inflation? I'ma need a second job to be alive.
Inflation, and the party is just getting started.

Now would be a good time to grab and "Economics for Dummies" book or a college economics textbook.

It will be good to have as a reference during the coming shitstorm.

(Remember when mundus and pals were scoffing at the idea of a major economic fallout from corona policies on top of the house of cards that was already constructed?:roflmao:)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Now would be a good time to grab and "Economics for Dummies" book or a college economics textbook.

(Remember when mundus and pals were scoffing at the idea of a major economic fallout from corona policies on top of the house of cards that was already constructed?:roflmao:)
Divergence:
1623028594687.png

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

We only printed $5T (or more?) out of nowhere, what’s the worst thing that could happen :unsure: :drowning:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
WTF is really going on?
We already had steady asset inflation leading up to covid, and that went into overdrive shortly after the pandemic started and we pumped $5T+ worth of new money into the system. Savings interest is a joke, so everyone piles their money into Stonks, crypto, real estate etc especially with interest rates so low and you don’t need to work in a major metro area to have a well paying job.

Now it’s too expensive for people to trade up so they remodel/add on which drives up cost of materials. Factor in supply chain interruptions and other secondary effects from having so much new money floating around . . . . :drowning:

Reactions: Havoc and Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
WTF is really going on?
Everyone is suddenly driving around with traction boards, snorkels, and LED floodlights on their Toyotas, wait times for surfboards are so long some shapers have stopped taking orders, and everyone is riding around on electric bikes that cost over $2K.

Oh, and businesses are having trouble getting employees because you can make more money from unemployment benefits than working.

Things can only get better from here.:)

P.S. In addition to the trillions of stimmylus that we've printed, some say we need to print more: https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/could-a-4th-stimulus-check-still-be-on-the-table-in-2021-heres-the-scoop/

So more new toys on the way!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Rub and tug prices are nearly double. Not sure if they're trying to make up for lost revenue over the past year or what.
Maybe they can service 2 customers at once for the same price? They do have 2 hands after all :beer: Except for the one Eunice and I go to, of course :ban:

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
good news is inflation isn't as bad as everyone claims. bad news is yes there is inflation
The big issue right now is covid created a strange event where supply was shuttered and demand was temporarily held back while then exploding. Lumber and steel had already been drawing back production even pre-covid and with a boom in housing with more QE and low interest rates, demand for housing and construction skyrocketed when production was slowed.

Now as far as quantitative easement and the value of the dollar, the dollar is only at a .82 to a euro and was a .64 at the worst of 2008, we still have a ways to go before panic time. You saw this at the end of Q1 with people buying lots of bonds, but those people ended up jumping the reactive gun and missing out on market rebounds. I do expect the market to slow down but with this much money floating around and interest rates still low, it will be awhile. I would guess a slow downturn but at what point I don't know. Looks like it will still be strong throughout summer but i dont get paid enough to forecast this sh!t

The fed will raise rates, not a matter of if but when, this will slow the demand for low interest loans significantly and as people return to normal they will have less extra cash floating aorund to invest and buy sh!t with

wanted to add that canadian tarriffs are still in effect for lumber imports too which is a pita
and there's still tarrifs on china too so imports are going to hurt a bit more, support your local shaper

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Pent up demand? Will it level off?
$.02

If they stop mailing checks out, imho that will cut some of the gusto on the consumer staples non-cyclical front. I think there might be some debate if it extends until the Autumn, but I expect that to dry up sooner than the rest.

But homes being treated as monthly recurring revenue generators vs a place each family owns one of? Here to stay.