Best Sunblock 2021

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Desitin (diaper rash stuff) is like 40% oxide, hella physical blocker. A word to the wise, if you are in an insect zone (rainy season Latin America) you had better soap your face off, washcloth your sh!t, wipe with a towel, then get another face splash towel wipe. Simply smearing some soap on is not going to cut it, and you will have a cloud of the f-----s swarming around your dome until you properly scrub it, kook.

Neutrogena has a zinc oxide one now; I used to think their stuff was only good for non-face, or 45 minutes, or land-lubbing stuff where there's chicks you're trying to spit hot fire at, but the sh!t with physical blockers is pretty legit.

Headhunter is pretty boss, stick and goop.

Zinka works but the colors....yeeesh

Vertra stick is nice, but pricey.
Is this the case with just Zinc based products and insects? I'm leaving for Costa Rica 6/10 (the Marriott between Avellanas and Playa Langosta). I didn't have any issues in South Nicaragua (Iguana/Colorado's area) in August a few years back.

I use the EWG scanner and usually get whatever is cheapest at CVS, but gets a 3 or better on their scale (my wife is crazy about using products within their lower numbers). I had some Shiseido sticks that lasted my last 25 years of surf trips. Just realized the last one doesn’t have any more dial rotations left. I’ll probably grab some Vertra.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Is this the case with just Zinc based products and insects? I'm leaving for Costa Rica 6/10 (the Marriott between Avellanas and Playa Langosta). I didn't have any issues in South Nicaragua (Iguana/Colorado's area) in August a few years back.

I use the EWG scanner and usually get whatever is cheapest at CVS, but gets a 3 or better on their scale (my wife is crazy about using products within their lower numbers). I had some Shiseido sticks that lasted my last 25 years of surf trips. Just realized the last one doesn’t have any more dial rotations left. I’ll probably grab some Vertra.
just get some "Off..." rainy season kinda sucks mosquito wise

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
In full disclosure, I have been helping this local San Diego start up with some marketing but this is not an ad for them, just my honest opinion. That said, I have tried just about everything on the market and finally found that this stuff does not burn my eyes in the water, doesn't cause my skin to break out, even at 50 that sh!t still happens. I was loyal to Sun Bum locally, or Headhunter for the tropics, this is better than both for me. It goes on clear, no white face, if you get the lightly tinted version it rubs in well. They have some heavy Hawaiians as ambassadors that swear by this stuff from what I have heard from them, I have yet to wear it in the tropics, just here in San Diego. Not sure how it compares by price to others.

https://amavara.com

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Been using https://avasol.com/ for early dawn patrols. It’s tinited and not greasy so I use it daily on my route, even though I wear a wide brimmed hat.

Last time I was in Mentawais I only used https://mandanaturals.com/ - it’s organic so it goes on thick and gritty bc there are no chemicals. It feels good to have a physical textured barrier on your skin that won’t quickly wash away. I’ll use it locally if I’m surfing midday summers

Reactions: ReForest

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

I don't recall having problems with other zinc/titanium physical blocker sunscreens like Headhunter, Ocean Potion, Zinka, the Bullfrog with zinc, etc.

If you are going for a one hour sunset surf I'd skip it. If you are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for the mid-day "friendly crumble" when the onshores are starting up and the sun is brutal, that's where it really shines for me.

There might be a Shiseido opportunity in duty-free.

Also, I don't have problems with it and mosquitos. Just gnats/no-see-um types. A decent onshore away from standing fresh water and you're probably good. Just, if you use the Desitin, thoroughly, I mean really thoroughly, scrub your grill/dome free of it before something like an evening meal when the wind starts to slack and the insects increase.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
I use a kids/no-tears mineral-based zinc sunscreen in the big plastic squeeze tube. It's total warpaint/bukake face but since no one is photographing me while I surf, I don't care if I have white face. I tried Sun Bum's face-specific stuff, but it always ran into my eyes and burned no matter how early I put it on before I got in the water.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Shiseido.

$25/50ml.

YOLO!

Actually, Shiseido does make great products.
Been using this for the last two years, good sh!t. Also if you have a storefront you can buy at they're very liberal with samples you can take home to a wife/gf

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
In full disclosure, I have been helping this local San Diego start up with some marketing but this is not an ad for them, just my honest opinion. That said, I have tried just about everything on the market and finally found that this stuff does not burn my eyes in the water, doesn't cause my skin to break out, even at 50 that sh!t still happens. I was loyal to Sun Bum locally, or Headhunter for the tropics, this is better than both for me. It goes on clear, no white face, if you get the lightly tinted version it rubs in well. They have some heavy Hawaiians as ambassadors that swear by this stuff from what I have heard from them, I have yet to wear it in the tropics, just here in San Diego. Not sure how it compares by price to others.

https://amavara.com
Thanks for the tip. Looks good. Just bought some. Nice marketing, bro!
I like the matte finish. It’s why I used the neutrogena sheer stuff for years, but it would stain wetsuit necks and is certainly reef-unfriendly

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Vertra for the face. Honestly not a big fan of sunbum, that crap makes my chest all slippery and I end up sliding all over my board.
I use sumbum to lube my thighs when first switching over to trunk season and my boards still have wax out to the rail.

Reactions: vanrysss