Hawaii- Done

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A project I am consulting on, a locally owned version of Uber / Lyft called "holoholo" (means "to cruise" in Hawaiian):

Launched yesterday. 500 rider downloads so far. I think we have 200 drivers, with new ones being added every hour.
Keeps the money in Hawaii. Only outbound money was whitelabeling the app (not from Uber/Lyft).
Please be patient as we roll out.
This is a freaking great idea that could be extended a lot of ways. There's no reason we need to use global FAAGS. Their business models and software can be copied cheaply and applied to local markets. Travelers might object that that Uber/Lyft provide one-stop shopping for all the world, but these companies aren't profitable and shift all the costs onto the drivers themselves so that the drivers really aren't making any money when you factor in gas and mileage. Local governments can help simply by banning Uber and Lyft and reminding travelers of their dubious business practices with signs at the airport.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Literally the only reason I use Uber/Lyft is because the taxi industry sucks. They were blood sucking leeches that got a taste of their own medicine.
I think Uber/Lyft have turned into a visa-assistance program for H1Bs trying to stay in the country. I'd see them circling endlessly with no passengers at this major international airport while I waited for the bus.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Literally the only reason I use Uber/Lyft is because the taxi industry sucks. They were blood sucking leeches that got a taste of their own medicine.
On a work trip and they’re like take the taxi cause it’s faster and you’re not paying for it.

F that. I’ll wait the extra ten minutes. Refuse to support that industry

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Downloading now. Thanks
Mahalo. Might be hard to get a ride last minute as we are still growing, but if you schedule a pickup, then a driver will be there 100% of the time (they are heavily incentivized on scheduled pickups).

This is a freaking great idea that could be extended a lot of ways. There's no reason we need to use global FAAGS. Their business models and software can be copied cheaply and applied to local markets. Travelers might object that that Uber/Lyft provide one-stop shopping for all the world, but these companies aren't profitable and shift all the costs onto the drivers themselves so that the drivers really aren't making any money when you factor in gas and mileage. Local governments can help simply by banning Uber and Lyft and reminding travelers of their dubious business practices with signs at the airport.
I think like 95% of our drivers are also Lyft/Uber drivers, so it's the same product from a user standpoint. Although, we promise not to do any surcharge hours. Flat rate all the time. The owner is born and raised haole guy on Maui who started SpeedyShuttle and has been in transportation for 20+ years. He's hates Uber/Lyft treats their drivers. He's paying better than them. Cares about Hawaii and is taking his shot, although he's said he'd be happy if it just broke even. Also, he has gotten some govt assistance behind closed doors, I don't know the details of that, but HI govt doesn't like Uber/Lyft either.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
The cab situation in NY City has been pretty grim recently. The city has a taxi medallion system where to operate a cab you needed a city license or medallion (It's a metal tag). The medallion prices pre- ride sharing were at a million dollars each. Individual drivers, usually immigrants, would borrow money to buy a medallion then quasi-live in the the cab to pay it off - seeing it as a sort of retirement plan. There are also large operators owning many medallions, some of them heavily financed.

The medallion system began after the depression when every Tom, Dick and Harry was using his car as a cab and the prices were so low that they couldn't make a living at it. So the medallions were sold for $50 each which limited the number of cabs so owners could make a living - and the rates were set by the city. Over time the medallion prices went way up (60K in the late 70's seemed a lot but it just kept going) and the city would periodically auction off more medallions for, as the prices got out of control, 1 million dollars apiece. After happily collecting the millions from the latest medallion sale the city approved ride sharing services. A quote: "It peaked around 2013 at over $1,000,000. Between 2014 and 2015, New York City's non-corporate medallion price dropped 45%. In 2015, the price had fallen to approximately $650,000. As of 2018, one can now purchase a medallion for less than $200,000."

A few immigrant single medallion owners killed themselves. The city first created a protected sytem then sold medallions into it then collapsed it killing some of the occupants. It was rough on the banks that made the loans, too. Pretty ugly. I stopped following the story. I think it could have been implemented a lot better, showing respect to the existing Eco System.

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I like that Holoholo. My kid starts at the U of H in August and he's gonna need rides once in a while. I'm gonna turn him on to it.

• Love
Reactions: racer1

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I thought this was the sticker?

goodluck with holoholo racer
Working with the OTS holo card folks for the new rail station ticket terminals.

One interesting stat
in every major city/airport they serve uber/lyft have increased overall traffic congestion with their drivers just driving around solo in the cars waiting for a fare.

Also start planning..
Cheap holoholo rides to the rail stations from the various neighborhoods. Gonna be some decent money on someone who can figure that market out.
Consistant daily committed riders.

Reactions: Boneroni and racer1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
goodluck with holoholo racer

Also start planning..
Cheap holoholo rides to the rail stations from the various neighborhoods. Gonna be some decent money on someone who can figure that market out.
Consistant daily committed riders.
Thanks anakala. Yeah we got some things planned for that, and some other things up our sleeve. Like I said, owner has 20+ years in transportation in Hawaii so he has some ideas we are working on that Uber/Lyft are not addressing.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think like 95% of our drivers are also Lyft/Uber drivers, so it's the same product from a user standpoint. Although, we promise not to do any surcharge hours. Flat rate all the time. The owner is born and raised haole guy on Maui who started SpeedyShuttle and has been in transportation for 20+ years. He's hates Uber/Lyft treats their drivers. He's paying better than them. Cares about Hawaii and is taking his shot, although he's said he'd be happy if it just broke even. Also, he has gotten some govt assistance behind closed doors, I don't know the details of that, but HI govt doesn't like Uber/Lyft either.
Everyone I know who's really successful in business started in some sort of gritty enterprise like this. I'm not sure Uber/Lyft really know anything about the transportation business. They're mostly products of our failing VC system.

Mahalo.

Just tell him (and his friends) that it's what the locals use! Uber/Lyft are for kooks! Haha.
This is actually a really good marketing idea.

Edit: here are some possible slogans for your premium brand differentiation against Uber/Lyft.

"Don't be a kook! Take the coconut hyperloop." - holoholo. This helps white yuppie tourists feel "in" and smarter than everyone else at the same time by tying your idea to Musk. White yuppies love feeling "in" and smarter than everyone else. The "don't be a kook" part probably works on everyone.

"Car rides with a conscience." -holoholo. Implying Uber/Lyft have none. Yuppies can look into this further on their own.

"Rideshare from God." - holoholo. This works on middle Americans, servicemembers, and probably me.

For Japanese, any messaging that communicates that the cars are clean, safe, and not driven by axe murderers. Japanese cabs are immaculate and the drivers wear suits.

You'll have 'em eating out of your hand.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I think Uber/Lyft have turned into a visa-assistance program for H1Bs trying to stay in the country. I'd see them circling endlessly with no passengers at this major international airport while I waited for the bus.
Sadly, what you saw was their business models at work. They rely on having too many drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I went out for a little lunch break surf at small Sunset point today and there was some kid I have never seen before who paddled right past me. They got told to wait their turn (not by me) and after a couple sets he looked at me all bummed and asked when his turn was. I told him "you're last I think." When a set come I went, he rode behind me, fell, shot his board at me (not on purpose). When I paddled back out he was like "what did I do wrong?" and I told him nothing, I was in the wrong, you're not supposed to do what I just did to you but since I've never seen you before and I got a 45 minute break for lunch that's how it's gonna be! Nothing personal have a great day :)

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Everyone I know who's really successful in business started in some sort of gritty enterprise like this. I'm not sure Uber/Lyft really know anything about the transportation business. They're mostly products of our failing VC system.

This is actually a really good marketing idea.

Edit: here are some possible slogans for your premium brand differentiation against Uber/Lyft.

"Don't be a kook! Take the coconut hyperloop." - holoholo. This helps white yuppie tourists feel "in" and smarter than everyone else at the same time by tying your idea to Musk. White yuppies love feeling "in" and smarter than everyone else. The "don't be a kook" part probably works on everyone.

"Car rides with a conscience." -holoholo. Implying Uber/Lyft have none. Yuppies can look into this further on their own.

"Rideshare from God." - holoholo. This works on middle Americans, servicemembers, and probably me.

For Japanese, any messaging that communicates that the cars are clean, safe, and not driven by axe murderers. Japanese cabs are immaculate and the drivers wear suits.

You'll have 'em eating out of your hand.
Yeah we have some simliar concepts written up. The conscience thing is something we're going to pray on, then there's a lot of Hawaiiana going to be involved and some special Japanese stuff, but we're waiting till we get a little momentum, a little juice, before we start those ideas.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Stickers? Bring back da lowered mini-trucks. Actually bought a used one from my dad's friend in the late 80's. Grey S-10 pickup, lowered, and on the bug shield was written it's name... Magical Radical.

Reactions: bluemarlin04