Honeymoon advice: 5 nights with surf-tolerant future wife

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
She's been with my surf-obsessed ass for 5ish years, so it was appreciated when she took my surfing into account when she researched potential locations.

Our location: North San Diego
Timing: early October

Exotic surf destinations are out due to short duration, so we are thinking about the Hawaiian Islands. We went to Kauai a few years back, and she wants to go to Maui, and suggested we stay here: https://www.royallahaina.com/

Google Map Link to the resort

My question from those who live there or have spent significant time: Can I reliably drive 10-ish minutes and reliably get some shoulder-high waves without bothering any locals?

Any advice or notes are greatly appreciated!!!

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
there are spots nearby like Little Makaha and others. Could be flat your whole stay or bigger than you want so who knows about the forecast.

Act right in the lineup and you'll get waves.

Have fun

Apr 18, 2012
NYC
I went to Barbados on my honeymoon, and caught one day at Soup Bowls while she was at the spa....that was more than I expected...low expectations or just choose a place you won't be tempted to surf. You'll be too distracted if the waves are good...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
a wise person told me once you open the marriage can of worms (proposal until some point after the wedding to 1yr after), you only get a fixed number of opportunities to demonstrate and make good on your marital commitment but are left with a lifetime to sort out and un-fuck anytbing left on the back burner during that time.

plan wisely bc she will remember your priorities. save the surf trip hijack for the 1yr anniversary.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
You're going on vacation with a surfboard, not a surf trip. My $.02: avoid surfing destinations entirely. Find something to do together than bonds you, not reenforces that you're doing your own sh!t on your terms . Once that's over, then negotiate your surf-life demands.

If you don't have anything to do together that you both enjoy, don't get married.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
If she WANTS to go to Maui because it's a rad honeymoon spot and not just because you want to surf, go further north, stay in Kapalua area (splurge for the Ritz). If there's a north swell book her some spa time, you're stocked; if no north swell, book both of you some spa time, you're still stocked.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
As far as "open" countries, Peru has everything you can ask for but wymyn may feel it a bit "rustic" for honeymoon travel. It is not my favorite either but for whatever reason some people really like it and trip out on Macchu Pichu. Not me.

Thus

Quite possibly the best option if open, pandemic or not, is Chile. Bring one board, this will help regulate your surf time.

Lots of decent places to stay, lots of unique nicer places to stay. First worldish and safe, great food, wine production, hiking, beauty everywhere. All women love Valparaiso and San Pedro de Atacama, do not skip either.

Rent a car or take the bus, the choice is yours, either way it's a little adventure you both will remember for a lifetime that will enrich you as a newlywed couple.

Much more than a stay at a resort. Just my 2 cents.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
you duus must be in some difficult to navigate marriages. My wife loves beautiful beaches in tropical places. She knows I love to surf and has her own love for yoga, running, etc. While I didnt surf all day everyday...how much time can you possibly spend holding hands staring at each other???

We went to Kauai, I surfed every day, we did a ton of other fun stuff and it was her favorite trip we've ever taken.