*** OFFICIAL RELIGION THREAD ***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
If hell isn't real then why do people get so offended when you tell them that's where they are heading?
I don't mind being told I am going to some person's version of the afterlife I deserve.

When it comes to discussing religion, do you get worked up when people tell you that you're wasting your time or deluded by believing in your version of the almighty?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I was your textbook edgy atheist until I ate too much fungi
Now I don't particularly believe in their being an omnificent being that passes judgement.
I do feel like some sort of our self is recycled into the metaphorical wave pool in the sky. Perhaps this is just a lie I say to comfort myself when faced with the proposition of a meaningless void. Or because there might not be a wave pool in the sky or an El Porto in the boiling cauldrons of Mark Price's Hydroflask Jeep Leader Inferno, our actions matter more than we could ever know, as they impact those we leave behind, whether that be our kin, or some random kook that was never told the correct way to wax his gravel stahp. So one day he can teach some kid how to properly wax his hover foil step down.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.

Father is the universe, basically everything, (that include nothingness... for you Zen masters), infinite, eternal, beyond comprehension yet right here before our eyes. Yeah, so, like, everything. And you could just as easily call the father the mother, since everything includes everything.

Son is the incarnation, our personhood. We ALL experience life through the vehicle of this personhood.

Holy Spirit is what happens when we realize OUR personhood is not all there is. When you identify yourself as part of everything. That awareness engenders compassion, empathy and understanding. The golden rule.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I remember getting communion (it was sort of a big thing on one side of my family). I said "the body of christ" to the priest for my first ever wafer and he said "no, I'm supposed to say that"
One kid faked it and put it in his pocket, and bragged he was gonna take it home and put peanut butter on it. One of the sisters heard and made him eat it.
But yeah, kneel, stand, kneel, stand, sit, stand, sing, greet the person next to you, kneel... and I could never figure out htf to find whatever "page" they said to open. I hated church and still do but lots of religions are super interesting to read about, and their books are free.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Tom Morey

10 commandments of surfing

1. Surfer beware, O clumsy defenseless meat! You are trifling with the alien citizens of another world: shark, jellyfish, eel, stingray, barracuda, barnacle, coral, and urchin;
2. Behave, O threat to some. You are only slow-moving food to many. Behave. Otherwise, pain teaches its awkward uninvited guest better manners;
3. All surfers come to ride, neither to save the inept nor dodge the inconsiderate. Stay out of everyone's way. All of the time! It is a surf zone, not a day care;
4. Pay for the driver's gas, lunch, and drinks. S(he) is already out for vehicle insurance, maintenance, wear, tear and as captain of the vessel, is held accountable for your safety and behavior;
5. Pack out your trash and then some;
6. Bring aboard neither gossip, backbiting, foul speech, loud noise, nor offensive odors such as sour towels, stinky trunks, or wetsuits;
7. Be careful not to endanger the welfare of fellow travelers via obnoxious acts;
8. Before dropping in - whether into simple beach break, business, or marriage - plan for its end as well;
9. Abandon each wave at some point before at the end it will unceremoniously dump you;
10. The danger of even the biggest wave is only about two feet wide, the width of your body. All else is an illusion;

And there's a few more Here

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I remember getting communion (it was sort of a big thing on one side of my family). I said "the body of christ" to the priest for my first ever wafer and he said "no, I'm supposed to say that"
One kid faked it and put it in his pocket, and bragged he was gonna take it home and put peanut butter on it. One of the sisters heard and made him eat it.
But yeah, kneel, stand, kneel, stand, sit, stand, sing, greet the person next to you, kneel... and I could never figure out htf to find whatever "page" they said to open. I hated church and still do but lots of religions are super interesting to read about, and their books are free.
heh, when i was in 6th grade, my folks sent me off to the local Catholic school....where the first thing they do is trot you off to mass. not being Catholic, had no idea what was going on, so when all the kids lined up for communion, i could only do the same. apparently, taking communion when you are not Catholic is a mortal sin, so I basically committed a mortal sin within my first hour at Catholic school. and it was all downhill from there.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Who is mArk pryce?
I prefer LSD to mushrooms but have the time for neither so of you see an older guy marveling at the spray plumes a little too intensely that might be me multitasking, faithfully. I park legally and pack out my trash, but my booties smell awful and I steal poorly stashed bars of wax when I don't have any.

Reactions: b.r.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
born a jew. havent stepped into a temple since i was bar mitzfah'd at 13. still believe in a higher power, but dont know exactly what that means..just faith theres something greater out there than us humans. the older i get - the more im interested in tradition though and I think if anyone can learn something from religion its that tradition is important amongst family and friends. I just dont need to do that with other people in a place of worship. i also think its lame when others try and push their beliefs on you and try and tell you thats the only way. fook all that

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
i was told that the bible was a compilation of stories, gathered together by drunken sheepherders. then it was translated, re translated, taken over by kings and others in power, re worded and rewritten again, only now to be reinterpreted by those who chose to use it to make money. f_uck that sh!t.
(told to me by a brother timothy, at the church of the nativity, in bethlehem. i was 10.
so, satan, god, jesus, all that crock, are nothing but opiates for the masses. autoprax ought to be very into it based on that alone.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
born a jew. havent stepped into a temple since i was bar mitzfah'd at 13. still believe in a higher power, but dont know exactly what that means..just faith theres something greater out there than us humans. the older i get - the more im interested in tradition though and I think if anyone can learn something from religion its that tradition is important amongst family and friends. I just dont need to do that with other people in a place of worship. i also think its lame when others try and push their beliefs on you and try and tell you thats the only way. fook all that
Sometimes I see/experience things that make me certain of a "higher power." It might be a sunset in Tuolumne Meadows or, for example, this video fills me with that sense. I gave my students a photography assignment last week and introduced the lesson with this video.

ps the students' photos didn't really reinforce my sense of universal awe ...:bricks:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I was your textbook edgy atheist until I ate too much fungi
Now I don't particularly believe in their being an omnificent being that passes judgement.
I do feel like some sort of our self is recycled into the metaphorical wave pool in the sky. Perhaps this is just a lie I say to comfort myself when faced with the proposition of a meaningless void. Or because there might not be a wave pool in the sky or an El Porto in the boiling cauldrons of Mark Price's Hydroflask Jeep Leader Inferno, our actions matter more than we could ever know, as they impact those we leave behind, whether that be our kin, or some random kook that was never told the correct way to wax his gravel stahp. So one day he can teach some kid how to properly wax his hover foil step down.
We are each so atomically numerous and so vigorously recycled at death that a significant number of our atoms—up to a billion for each of us, it has been suggested—probably once belonged to Shakespeare.

-Bill Bryson

Reactions: Mr Doof