Album Surfboards

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
There absolutely can be a set that works best - options being less

It takes some work to create , so far that effort seems to be unnecessary for sales and high end $$
One or two fins sets for six different models regardless of board size. If the shaper‘s name and fin match go with it.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I dont have the twinsman but if you’re looking for more pivot after initial testing, the chippa NPJ set from captain could do the trick. I use them on the light bender in a faster beach break type wave.
Agreed. I like the Chippas in my Lightbender in beach break as well. I like a lot of positivity off the back foot, which is why I like the TA twin-which is not that big compared to other templates out there. Good size for my weight.

Reactions: sdsrfr

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Or maybe, now hear me out, I'm physically a different shape and skill set from the shaper and all team riders.
Thats not part of what makes the best fin for the board as a complete design .

The industry does not want customers to know this for all sorts of reasons . Almost none today know this is possible .
Early 70's single fins with boxes revealed this possibility to some thru fin and placement adjustments - instead of todays plug n play fin systems ;-)

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Or maybe, now hear me out, I'm physically a different shape and skill set from the shaper and all team riders.
Believes shaper can make custom board for height weight skill but not custom fin set? Some can but not much profit in it so consumer left to plug play plug play plug play plug play as many expert commentors do here few realizing where to start or even educating themselves on fins prefering to defer to plug play bretheren opinion.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Believes shaper can make custom board for height weight skill but not custom fin set?
That's not what he said.

Gigi's spiel is dependent on all surfers wanting and being able to surf a certain way, every time they take out the board w/o concern for conditions or desire.
or
his 'concern' for fighting the good fight against the international surf industrial complex brainwashing, on a mass scale, malleable young surfer minds into buying fin sets.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Which gemini did you get and how do they compare with the NVS set?
I felt the Geminis have a little more drive and a touch less pivot than the NVS set. Both are solid though!

Reactions: sdsrfr and racer1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Believes shaper can make custom board for height weight skill but not custom fin set? Some can but not much profit in it so consumer left to plug play plug play plug play plug play as many expert commentors do here few realizing where to start or even educating themselves on fins prefering to defer to plug play bretheren opinion.
I fully believe shaper can make custom board for height weight skill set, but then recommends the same exact fin to everybody? So somebody 120 pounds and somebody 220 pounds should both be on the Apex Upright 5.5 Album Twin set? For example, Josh Kerr and Asher Pacey both weigh 40-50 pounds less than me, but Matt recommended a smaller fin for me (NVS set is smaller than Ashers sig fin that both Kerr and him ride).

I had a Greg Griffin shaped board and the best fins for it, in my opinion, were a set of Timmy Patterson quads. I tried Gregs fins in it, along with Merricks and Simon Andersons.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I fully believe shaper can make custom board for height weight skill set, but then recommends the same exact fin to everybody? So somebody 120 pounds and somebody 220 pounds should both be on the Apex Upright 5.5 Album Twin set? For example, Josh Kerr and Asher Pacey both weigh 40-50 pounds less than me, but Matt recommended a smaller fin for me (NVS set is smaller than Ashers sig fin that both Kerr and him ride).

I had a Greg Griffin shaped board and the best fins for it, in my opinion, were a set of Timmy Patterson quads. I tried Gregs fins in it, along with Merricks and Simon Andersons.
unpossible.

i hope the fin companies are paying you well for this propaganda, racer.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014

Actually Kerr often rides an even bigger fin than that. He's was riding these in his twinsmans:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I felt the Geminis have a little more drive and a touch less pivot than the NVS set. Both are solid though!
Nice. Yah I asked Matt to rank them, he said from most drive to most pivot:

gemini (bigger), NVS, Gemini (smaller).

I did think it was kinda funny he glossed over the “album” set by TA.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Nice. Yah I asked Matt to rank them, he said from most drive to most pivot:

gemini (bigger), NVS, Gemini (smaller).

I did think it was kinda funny he glossed over the “album” set by TA.
I weigh about 185. He told me the small Geminis may not work for my size. I'm very vey happy with the 2 sets I have. No need to look further!

Reactions: sdsrfr