Massachusetts and Rhode Island

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Planning a trip out to see my bro and his new baby, he lives in Boston but we're heading out to Point Judith where he's rented a house for a week.

I'm set for surf since he has the boards and regularly surfs in R.I.

The question is what are the must do/see things in the area?

The wife wants to see Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod and we've been to Boston before.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Planning a trip out to see my bro and his new baby, he lives in Boston but we're heading out to Point Judith where he's rented a house for a week.

The wife wants to see Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod and we've been to Boston before.
I went to Nantucket and Cape Cod a few years ago for the first time. I thought both were really cool, and really enjoyed an afternoon at Truro Vineyards drinking gin and what not, and then going to Provincetown and renting bikes to ride around the state/national park and chillin on the beaches etc. Nantucket was cool for a day or two, my highlight was taking the bus out of town and finding a trail to walk along the cliffs and check out the yards of the mansions and then working our way down to the beach and enjoy some beers with my lady during sunset. Met a lot of cool people out there, both local workers and tourists.

Reactions: grendel95

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

It’s a decent drive from Pt Judith (3hrs) to get to the outer Cape or the Vineyard.
Newport RI has:
Shopping/restaurants
History/culture
Waves sometimes
Water Bros/Sid
1620142926873.jpeg

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've never been "up" past Pt. Judith myself, but if I was going from Boston to Pt. Judith and not in a particular hurry, and it was a nice day, I'd try to stop for lunch or coffee or something in Providence, and I'd walk off my meal on Brown's campus or Downtown or something.

I'd also consider back-roading it. Or not. I-95 generally isn't impressive going through Connecticut, but turn off the road in either direction, and at least for someone used to flat, sweltering, straight line nothing in Florida, there's some nice scenery. I'd guess most ideal some time in October, but anything between now and then should do nicely.

I am not sure if the Vineyard Vines flagship store is a must-go, if so, there's nothing for it. Otherwise, there is a closer/easier option from Point Judith that may tick all the same boxes. And if you're planning a day trip, Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod sound like brutal missions in comparison.

Not sure if it's the kind of thing your wife is into, but maybe you could find a quiet, rural area with an old school covered bridge. Covered bridge picnics sound like they might earn good boy points that could be converted into tendies.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
When are you gonna be there? The summer crowd on the RI shore has changed a lot since AirBNB, VRBO. Growing up it used to be weekly rentals and the crowds were spread out pretty evenly through the week. Now it seems like 2-3 day rentals for the weekends along with weekend daytrippers make all the public beaches and restaurants a mob scene on the weekend. When I’m there in the summer peak season I don’t go to the beach till late in the day on the weekends. Spend the majority of my time in the salt pond or boating in the ocean. Even as a resident with a beach pass most weekend days the beach lots are full with very minimal parking outside the lots. This dies down considerably midweek, so plan accordingly.

Matunuck oyster bar is great but a total mob scene. Covid has made dining there much easier now that they take reservations. Take advantage of this if you can. I often times by the oysters unshucked and take them home myself. Have a beer or a lobster roll while you’re waiting at the bar and tip well and the shuckers will usually hook you up.

If you‘re in Pt. Judith go get breakfast at the Bluebird Cafe. It’s a solid and cheap local spot run by good people. Nothing fancy but reliable. They also do a good Friday night supper with a Cajun flair but breakfast is what they’re known for. I usually eat there once or twice a week when I’m in town.

Go to Watershed and say hi to Peter Pan. He’s a local legend. If it’s still around.

Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket are great but you’re literally staying in Pt Judith. Block Island is a short ferry ride away.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Hit up the Gilbert Stuart Museum
Pray for surf - hit Monahan's at night to avoid most of the crowd (hopefully the moon is somewhat full)
Dont bother trying to surf newport unless its freezing and a weekday and mid day
There's a fairly decent indoor climbing gym in Wakefield / S. Kingston if you're into that
Try one of the local Dunkin' Donuts shops - there's many

Dec 18, 2014
$kully makes an excellent recommendation. Block Island is way more convenient from Pt. Judith than 'the Cape and Islands' and, in my opinion, is more scenic, unless you like the piles of sand, lunar look that is the Cape and Nantucket, less so for Martha's Vineyard. So, go to BI and rent bicycles and ride around the island.

Get a drink on the lawn of the Inn at Castle Hill in Newport. Get takeout bbq from Becky's in Middletown to provision the rental cottage. Eat Portuguese food in Fall River. Catch a show at the Narrows Center.

Last edited:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
No need to go anywhere else as RI is absolutely the best! At least what my old man likes to think..... on the mainland any good show, but preferably a Reggae show at the Ocean Mist! Go to Newport! Best town in Rhody. Walk the Cliff Walk and Thames St/Fifth Ward you will feel like you are in the Popeye movie as a friend I played tour guide for once said. Midtown Oyster Bar is a good spot there. Tour an old mansion like Doris Duke's. Check out Ft Adams home of the NFF. Go for a sunset sail on the Narragansett Bay on a historic sail boat. Go fishing for Blues and Stripers. Grab some Dels lemonade and an Awful Awful at the Newport Creamery. Grab a Lobster Roll at Easton's (First) Beach as they have a pretty good deal. And if your lucky get a tour of Sid's basement. Best DIY surf and skate museum on the right coast.

Wont be much surf for most of the Summer and mainland spots get super duper crowded when there is a bump. Quality when they do go thou. Prior to kids I'd spend most of September there and would always get some waves, but now we are back there last 2 weeks of August and can be hit or miss.

The Clam Chowder in RI isn't white or red, it's clear and I like it.
Yep the best. I'm biased thou. Just the basics pork fat and quahaugs including the juice's. My Grams would throw some Portagee sausage in there. Yum!

Last edited: