Armstrong riders experiences

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
My 1550 experienced its first down the line rides yesterday - and it liked it!! I am so excited but noone besides you guys even understands what the hell we are doing :LOL: I remember this feeling from 30 years ago - awesome!
so true. I feel like a scared grom again when I see a waist high wave. "too big!" or "too late!" :ROFLMAO:

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
new A+ system. new mast bolts, wing attachment, fuselage shims etc etc.

Having had a armstrong set up for almost a year I have to say I have been pretty happy with it. everything fit together nicely, changed wings shims etc pretty easily. Now they are changing things up and although its not obsolete depending on future purchases I might have to alter my mast with a jig of some sorts for things to fit. I'm not one to drill into my carbon fiber mast so I'm kinda bummed about it. I get they are trying to make it better but I recall the armstrong guy say their system would not make you kinda start over or modify existing products. Thoughts?

Jan 22, 2005
My Armstrong distributor/dealer said the new wing is compatible with the old masts and fuselages.

One of the guys I foil with cracked the carbon overlay on the fuselage winging with the CF2400, which in turn started causing wear on the countersunk screw holes on the mast. I'm wondering if Armstrong has seen this type of failure more often than not - which the A+ is being implemented to resolve? Which then makes you wonder how long before the stuff I have gives.

I'm still going to get the HA1125 and the new rear stabilizer ala carte - but will probably just use it for lighter wind winging to keep the stress levels on the lower end of the scale.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
The mast conversion jog or whatever is rumored to be $600.

I heard a real good third hand review of the 1125 though. Be prepared to pay a lot but end up real happy.

Reactions: grendel95

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
The mast conversion jog or whatever is rumored to be $600.

I heard a real good third hand review of the 1125 though. Be prepared to pay a lot but end up real happy.
$600 for a jig to modify stuff myself seems far fetched. I was about to order the 1125 but decided to wait a bit more and see some reviews and also see what else the have up their sleeve. I'm very happy with my current set up 1250, 232 with 60 fuse but curious about other wings and tail wings to play with. we shall see won't we. I seen some photos of tail wings and of course the 1125 photo but want to see what they say in what conditions it works best in.

Um yeah, I don't have the R & D budget for that one! :oops: The only time I sanded a wing like that was when I smashed my buddy's LF rocket foil wing into a rock and had to reshape the leading edge - and that was just to keep from having to buy him a new one.

Jan 22, 2005
My 1125 and FV200 are in Fedex's clutches. Supposed to me at my doorstep tomorrow. Wind is up Saturday afternoon - might get a prone session after work before then - I'll post once I have gathered data.

Jan 22, 2005
Also - after the product release announcement for the 1550v2, I bought a second hand 1850, trimmed an inch off the back trailing edge, refoiled the new trailing edge and got a faster 1850. I'm away from home right now but I'll post pictures.

Also, also - I bought a 1550v1 from the same person I got the 1850 from and chopped the wingtips off about an inch from each side. That is the best front foil I've ever used for prone foiling in the surf - feels as close to surfing on a shortboard in good waves as I've come. Pictures when I get a chance to upload...

Jan 22, 2005
Sorry it took a while to get this uploaded - lots of other things going on. The foil on the left is the chopped down HS1850 (now a 1532) - got this way by chopping off the last inch of the trailing edge.

The foil on the right is the chopped down HS1550 - now around 1420.

1616315520009759-7.jpg

The 1532 (coming from an 1850) is thicker than the 1550v2 - but I like that I still get up on foil fairly quick. I've held the 1550v2 in hand and it is slightly thinner.

The 1420 is hands down the best surfing foil I've ever used. This is the third 1550 I've chopped (the prior two were for other foilers at my beach) - I got lucky and didn't hit foam core on this one. I had to do a lot of filling and laminating on the one prior to this - funny how there is that much variance in the foam/carbon distribution.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Sorry it took a while to get this uploaded - lots of other things going on. The foil on the left is the chopped down HS1850 (now a 1532) - got this way by chopping off the last inch of the trailing edge.

The foil on the right is the chopped down HS1550 - now around 1420.

View attachment 108539

The 1532 (coming from an 1850) is thicker than the 1550v2 - but I like that I still get up on foil fairly quick. I've held the 1550v2 in hand and it is slightly thinner.

The 1420 is hands down the best surfing foil I've ever used. This is the third 1550 I've chopped (the prior two were for other foilers at my beach) - I got lucky and didn't hit foam core on this one. I had to do a lot of filling and laminating on the one prior to this - funny how there is that much variance in the foam/carbon distribution.
You're brave to chop stuff. I haven't tried that yet. haha

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I've been riding the HA 1125 the past few days prone foiling in the ocean. waist to chest high surf. super fun fast wing. I;m still getting used to it coming from a 1250. the wing is fast and glides well and pumps very well. I think I need to spend a bit more time on it to really get used to it but so far I am really happy with it. I'm waiting on the flying V tail wing to see how that combo works. I am using the 232 tail right now with the mast all the way forward in the box in weaker surf and about an inch back on the bigger groundswell day. Overall I'd say this is a great wing to add into quiver especially for me trying to pump and connect waves. Today I had a few 2 for 1 connections and almost a triple. Something I could only do once a session on the 1250.

Happy foiling!!! wooohooo

Reactions: grendel95

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I've been riding the HA 1125 the past few days prone foiling in the ocean. waist to chest high surf. super fun fast wing. I;m still getting used to it coming from a 1250. the wing is fast and glides well and pumps very well. I think I need to spend a bit more time on it to really get used to it but so far I am really happy with it. I'm waiting on the flying V tail wing to see how that combo works. I am using the 232 tail right now with the mast all the way forward in the box in weaker surf and about an inch back on the bigger groundswell day. Overall I'd say this is a great wing to add into quiver especially for me trying to pump and connect waves. Today I had a few 2 for 1 connections and almost a triple. Something I could only do once a session on the 1250.

Happy foiling!!! wooohooo
I added the v tail to the ha 1125. wow. pumps amazing and you fly on it. I almost got a triple. twice. great new wings for me.

Jan 22, 2005
I added the v tail to the ha 1125. wow. pumps amazing and you fly on it. I almost got a triple. twice. great new wings for me.
A few questions:

1. Where do you have the mast positioned with the 1125 (say relative to where you had it with the 1250)?
2. Did you change the mast position once you put the FV200 on?
3. How are the takeoffs on the bigger waves with the 1125? I'm assuming you have time and it doesn't buck.

I've only had my 1125 out proning once. I move the mast around 3x to see if I could find the sweet spot. Was hovering around the same positions as the CF1200 and the HS1250. I got a few good rides out of it, but I know I have a long way to go. I winged with it twice and loved it both times. Was actually in the same mast position as the 1550v2.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
A few questions:

1. Where do you have the mast positioned with the 1125 (say relative to where you had it with the 1250)?
2. Did you change the mast position once you put the FV200 on?
3. How are the takeoffs on the bigger waves with the 1125? I'm assuming you have time and it doesn't buck.

I've only had my 1125 out proning once. I move the mast around 3x to see if I could find the sweet spot. Was hovering around the same positions as the CF1200 and the HS1250. I got a few good rides out of it, but I know I have a long way to go. I winged with it twice and loved it both times. Was actually in the same mast position as the 1550v2.

sorry for late response.

1. the mast is all the way forward in the boxes. haven't gotten bucked. Yet haha
2. same all the way forward mast position with the v200. before with the 232 i left my mast in same position as I had with 1250.I am at least an inch and a half farther forward in boxes now. I think I need to try the 1250 with mast all the way forward. I have been reluctant to do that in the past due to getting bucked with 1550.
3. on bigger waves I haven't gotten bucked like i did with my 1550 v1 or 1250.

I feel the lift is more gradual and a bit easier to control with the 1125 than has been with 1550 v1.

after a week on it I feel I'm getting used to it but still a bit tricky at times. pumping is way better than with 1550 and i really need to try my 1250 again but I just seem to want to ride the 1125 as much as possible since I got it.

Also wanted to mention I have wingnuts on mast to board connection for easy adjustment in the water. no tool needed. best $10 I spent.

Reactions: bbqdsunfish