So who knows anything about wedding rings?....aside from misery and all that..

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Mine is lost at local 805 North beach break and wife was/is pissed it was custom made ole gold band from store in Limon Costa Rica:drowning:
Friend lost 3 wedding rings while surfing. Every time, his wife was livid. The third time he lost it I was with him and he was freaking out when he noticed another was gone, saying how pissed his wife was going to be when he got home. She was a real ball buster but they made it work. :roflmao:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Are you already engaged? If not, here's a piece of advice I learned the hard way: Have a ring when you propose. Get it a little big, you can get it shrunk later. Go for a nice rock. Do not propose and say "we can go ring shopping later". I did that and 20+ years later my wife still won't let me forget how bad I fucked up my big moment.

1. Ask her father for permission first
2. Take a knee

if you do not do these two things, you're kooking it big time

if you want to talk about it, hit me up, 20w....if you're smart, you can play the long game with your
investment and set it up for additional stones down the road for anniversaries and stuff

it's best to go to a diamond seller with a referral...don't fly blind in DTLA

if you're working with someone you trust, you can just sit down and have a convo about the
piece of jewelry without having to feel like you need to haggle about it....it's already stressful
and probably not something you're likely to have a knack for so make it easy for yourself.

again, avoid retail like the plague!

Reactions: Boneroni

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site

if you're working with someone you trust, you can just sit down and have a convo about the
piece of jewelry without having to feel like you need to haggle about it....it's already stressful
and probably not something you're likely to have a knack for so make it easy for yourself.

Absolutely!

Unfortunately, I’ve been to this well a couple times. The first, I relied on my Mom’s connections.

The second, I partnered with my future Mother-in-Law. While both had experience and ‘ins,’ MIL was Armenian and well versed in DTLA. Referral at least, even better if you can secure a personal shopper that takes on the process for a reasonable fee. The MIL approach carries some risk, but helped build our relationship Good luck!

BTW, approaching 21st anniversary, and WAY beyond this. It’s a good thing

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
this is the part lost on most chasing their wedding dreams. they don’t appreciate the fact someone else bankrolled it, or the financial arguments that ensued.

have many friends trying to pay for a house and a big wedding at the same time. they ask me how I put so much into the down payment and I just shrug and tell them they’re SOL or gonna take the tax hit on some investments they’re not ready to cash in.
I have to chuckle when they're getting divorced and still paying off a wedding.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The typical thing is a rock for engagement ring (which should be returned if the engagement is called off), and simple band for the wedding ring.

Rings need to be sized and since I am not a fan of surprises when entering property contracts that are legally binding, both parties should be present at sizing/fitting. This goes for both engagement and wedding ring. Buying rings then having to get them sized later is a hassle and generally not free.

I am also of the belief that both parties pay for their own wedding rings. Male fingers are generally larger than female fingers, so you're going to pay more for the wedding band, so a simple design can save you some $ by paying for materials.

Design and cost is up to you and yours. Don't be stupid about it or follow any out dated marketing ploy. More $$$ doesn't mean anyone one will be better off having spent it on what is both jewelry and symbol...and if it does make a big difference, you are barking up the wrong tree. Try not to impress others with rings that no one else cares about. Maybe spend a huge fortune if you need to have portable wealth for backup plan to flee the country, just know, rocks have crap for resale value. In Saudi Arabia, gold jewelry is mostly tied to spot price of gold, not design.

You can by-pass store front overhead by going with local "artisans". A friend at work had a wife who worked for PG&E and she did some ring making as a hobby on the side. I think she charged 10% over cost of materials. She'd melt the gold alloy in a little kiln at home, pour it, finish/polish and, well, I don't know how fancy it was, but, I don't know, it seemed like a nice way to do things. Maybe someone in the extended circle of family/friends you know does something like this or knows someone who does? Am sure there is a local arts and craft college or course that could be bent to your needs. (Example: for our wedding invite, Sweetie-pie and I went to local art store, shopped some paper, then talked to bored staff and asked if she knew of someone who could put together an invite and in short order got graduate student to do the rest on the paper and envelope we wanted.)

Reactions: bluengreen

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
1. Ask her father for permission first
2. Take a knee

if you do not do these two things, you're kooking it big time

if you want to talk about it, hit me up, 20w....if you're smart, you can play the long game with your
investment and set it up for additional stones down the road for anniversaries and stuff

You lost me at step 1.

I went to my wife’s mom’s house and told her I needed to talk to her. My wife’s stepfather came out, her mom told him go buy a case of beer and beat it, she’d call him if she needed him.

So we drank a few and I finally built up the outage to tell her

Ni modo qué te pido la mano de tú hija cuando ya tengo rato gozando de sus nalgas.

My mom brought down a diamond ring that had been her mother’s wedding ring. My wife lost the stone clearing brush with her machete. My mom lololod.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Any guy pissed at diamond prices should probably direct anger towards Mary Frances Gerety. She was a young copywriter at N.W. Ayer advertising agency and came up with the tagline 'a diamond is forever' which became a huge success in the diamond ads. Of course it was woman. Every guy in the agency probably didn't want to work on the project. :foreheadslap:

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I don't have a whole ton to add here other than to say I bought an engagement ring a few months ago, went to DTLA, and did not have any hookup whatsoever. I'm sure I could have paid less, but whatever... I'm quite certain I could have paid more too.

Went ring shopping with the lady ahead of time since she didn't know what she wanted, and I was sticker shocked as fck when they told us the prices of rings she was trying on. Little did I know that when they follow up with you via email after the visit (without her cc'd) the price is magically ~25% cheaper than what they told her. Good trick.

She was stoked with the ring, and after I hemmed and hawed to her about how absurd engagement ring prices were she decided we didn't need to have an ornate, expensive wedding and instead wants to do that on the relative cheap. Score.

That reminds me, maybe I'll start a surf destination wedding thread... bad idea to spend a large amount of time in the water around the big day? lol