Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
the government can't
private industry on the other hand

they seemed to get away with it regarding mandatory and spontaneous drug tests
Everytime I'm at the kaiser lab for a blood test, half the people there are getting employer mandated drug tests.

That's why the labs are doing such good business pre-covid
Covid tests are another gold mine for certain industrys

but employer insurance liability and workplace safety may drive some of these changes everyone is thinking the government's going to do. I view vaccine travel passports kind of like Kama'aina discounts here, we seem okay with that.

Might be a good way to:
1: allow you to stay a remote worker
2: allow your employer to raise your health insurance plan rates as a higher risk individual
Totally different, anyone with an affidavit and a brain could easily stick it right back to any private or public corporation. Its been done already and will continue to be used as a tool against anyone/anything trying to inject anything into anyone. Corporate policy doesn't trump constitutional law or the rights of the living man or women. Also you can refuse a drug test, but again you have to follow up with the proper procedure, but most likely they will just find another reason not to hire you. Either way, Its all a choice, and most go along to get along in this world of commerce

Also if you care to look up Act Two of the civil rights act, you will see that it states, no one can be refused any service thats available to the public for any reason whatsoever essentially. Also if you care to look up Roe v Wade, you will see vaccine passports will never be a thing In the United States Corporation because of this Supreme Court ruling alone. It gives every person the right to medical privacy and I highly doubt they will be over turning Roe v Wade anytime soon

Reactions: john4surf

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Hey speaking of Kauai and haole tourists, that’ll be me this summer.
Anyone know is lydgate park beach area sharky cause it’s near the wailua river mouth?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Totally different, anyone with an affidavit and a brain could easily stick it right back to any private or public corporation. Its been done already and will continue to be used as a tool against anyone/anything trying to inject anything into anyone. Corporate policy doesn't trump constitutional law or the rights of the living man or women. Also you can refuse a drug test, but again you have to follow up with the proper procedure, but most likely they will just find another reason not to hire you. Either way, Its all a choice, and most go along to get along in this world of commerce

Also if you care to look up Act Two of the civil rights act, you will see that it states, no one can be refused any service thats available to the public for any reason whatsoever essentially. Also if you care to look up Roe v Wade, you will see vaccine passports will never be a thing In the United States Corporation because of this Supreme Court ruling alone. It gives every person the right to medical privacy and I highly doubt they will be over turning Roe v Wade anytime soon
sounds like sovereign citizen/karen stuff
you do stuff like that here you better plan on leaving, its a small highly interconnected community and you won't last long

try and get your kid into school here without a TB test
so why do we allow ourselves to adhere to these TB and smoking restrictions?
Don't we have rights to do what we whatever want?
depending on the color of your skin on the mainland, if you don't comply you can get shot

If an employer can find a reason as to why they think you cannot fulfill their requirements what ever they are as long as its documented as a requirement of the job, then they can let you go. Policies are going into to effect to protect brands and other types of business ending lawsuits.
No one outside of the government workers here, is guaranteed employment
You should see the massive unemployment bitching going here with people refusing to go back to work and then screaming when they can't qualify for unemployment.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Tourism is 21% of economy, Military is around 19% (Washington Post, 2018), so maybe we could just go all in with military.
After the 2008 economic meltdown, Military contracts kept a lot of construction general and subcontractors in business. Military always pumping money into HI.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location

All kinds of state laws requiring vaccinations for children to attend public schools

They have been found constitutional

It will depend on the state

And forget traveling internationally without it. it was (still is, in some places) a requirement to hand over vaccination record with passport if you want in.

Sorry buddy, if no jabby jabby life will suck for a while

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Nice new bump of NW energy, Sunset was long period and low tide this morning and I pulled back on a couple very scary waves

Weather has been so great after all that rain and wind, went out back with my kid and rode a few little waves on the kayak, it was rad

Hawaii no ka oi

• Love
Reactions: ~rwright~

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Personally, I never understood how they came up with these percentages. Does this account for retail spending, and how would certain markets be accounted for. Example: A "tourist" goes into a Town and Country surf shop, buys a board, accessories, and clothing. Is this accounted for as sales for the shop and resulting sales tax for the state as being generated by tourism? Furthermore, restaurant and fast food sales, differentiated as tourism generated or not? Food from markets, purchased by an employee of the tourism industry whose wages or tips come for employment in the tourism industry. State and County employees paid from the State budget based on tax revenues. If some of these revenue is generated by sales taxes, how do they know if it is taxes paid by a tourist or a resident? Not my field of expertise, but would like to know how they came up with these figures. Reminds me of a statistics class I took at UH. The first day of class, the Professor said that the thing with statistics is that they can be manipulated to say whatever you want, if you approach them correctly.
Also, how do you account for the vacuum of money off the islands from big ticket items of non-locally owned businesses like car rentals, airlines, hotels, etc? Gone every night to corpo bank accounts when transactions settle.

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
sounds like sovereign citizen/karen stuff
you do stuff like that here you better plan on leaving, its a small highly interconnected community and you won't last long

try and get your kid into school here without a TB test
so why do we allow ourselves to adhere to these TB and smoking restrictions?
Don't we have rights to do what we whatever want?
depending on the color of your skin on the mainland, if you don't comply you can get shot

If an employer can find a reason as to why they think you cannot fulfill their requirements what ever they are as long as its documented as a requirement of the job, then they can let you go. Policies are going into to effect to protect brands and other types of business ending lawsuits.
No one outside of the government workers here, is guaranteed employment
You should see the massive unemployment bitching going here with people refusing to go back to work and then screaming when they can't qualify for unemployment.
I'm not in Hawaii, I probably never will be, even for a visit, unfortunately. This thread has fascinated me because America turns everything into a shopping mall, but I still have hope for small tightknit communities like yours. But as you know by the large government footprint there, its still the USA. Its interesting that knowing laws and rights is "Karen stuff". Also sovereign citizen is oxymoron, the blacks law dictionary has an interesting definition for the word citizen.. When I have children, they won't go to public schools(hopefully home schooling), but their are plenty of examples of children going to school without Vaccines in the US anyway, this debate is nothing new.

Now the smoking restrictions are state law. There is a difference between legislation/law/acts vs mandates/policy. In the system we have, When we elect officials we grant them power to pass laws. Thats why we adhere to laws that we agree to by proxy when we elect the officials who pass them. But even still some acts are bogus and because of not knowing any better or fear of repercussions, we go along to get along...ie: federal reserve act of 1913 and the federal income tax act of 1913

Also lawsuits are exactly why they can't impose any corporate policy on anyone, because it would be breaking the law. Especially if they have been served an affidavit prior. Big box Gyms are finding out they can't enforce a mask rule because their insurance doesn't cover someone getting injured because of the mask, which in fact is a medical device.

You may call it petty but it is the truth. Within the scope of the law, it is all a choice when you deal in commerce. Knowing the law and knowing your standing is the only way to know how to choose wisely.

By the way, I really do admire and wish to be a part small close knit communities that are family oriented, it seems like that is the only way forward to me. I hope yours stays strong and true. God bless

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Big box Gyms are finding out they can't enforce a mask rule because their insurance doesn't cover someone getting injured because of the mask, which in fact is a medical device.
Bullsh1t. Gyms can require a mask, shoes, shirt to enter and stay and you can pound sand and leave if you don't want to.. Just like supermarkets. Kidfury arguments aside (gender, race, etc) they are not "public" and you don't have a say in their requirements. Restaurants can require people who dine in to prove their vaccinated and deny those who aren't. It's already a "thing".

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
All kinds of state laws requiring vaccinations for children to attend public schools

They have been found constitutional

It will depend on the state

And forget traveling internationally without it. it was (still is, in some places) a requirement to hand over vaccination record with passport if you want in.

Sorry buddy, if no jabby jabby life will suck for a while
No worries man, I could care less about traveling, I've been to a few spots and for now, I'm happy to be where I'm at. Life is good at the moment. Any privileges they attempt to take away, Im sure I won't miss much

Also I went to public school, but I wouldnt want to send kids to a public school even if they did allow non vaccinated children.

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
Bullsh1t. Gyms can require a mask, shoes, shirt to enter and stay and you can pound sand and leave if you don't want to.. Just like supermarkets. Kidfury arguments aside (gender, race, etc) they are not "public" and you don't have a say in their requirements. Restaurants can require people who dine in to prove their vaccinated and deny those who aren't. It's already a "thing".
In my real world, first hand experience, thats not the case..
But ill just leave a few things here that you can look through

From Act 2 of the civil rights act:

42 U.S.C. §2000a(b) Each of the following establishments is a place of public accommodation within this title if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action: (1) any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence. (2) any restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises, including, but not limited to, any such facility located on the premises of any retail establishment, or any gasoline station;

(3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment; and (4) any establishment (A)(i) which is physically located within the premises of any establishment otherwise covered by this subsection, or (ii) within the premises of which is physically located any such covered establishment and (B) which holds itself out as serving patrons of any such covered establishment.

Full link:

We go along with the no shoes, no shirt rule because most people find it the decent thing to do. And not a big enough deal to fight. If you don't think an affidavit or a good lawyer could piece together act 2 of the civil rights act with Roe v Wades right to privacy to combat any sort of corporate policy, then you need to find a better lawyer or read up on the laws a little more.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I don't understand why you wouldn't want a vaccine.

A couple of my wife's family started posting on social media how they made the decision to not vaccinate. First off, no one asked you and no one cares. Second, I'm sure you're 2.0 high school GPA from 25 years ago really made you an expert on vaccinations. They can barely spell at the elementary school level and I'm expected to believe them when they tell me they did their "research". We're fucked as a country. Everything has become a game for social media clout.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
You're not even supposed to call 'em locals any more. I guess it's "settlers" instead of kama’aina and "indigenous people" instead of Kanaka Maoli, at least in the world of academia.

the "thing" with 'localism' is, imho, we're all born on the same chunk of condensed rocks and water, hurtling through space in the same direction, subject to the same atmospheric issues....

and yet, because I was born on this little chunk of dirt I somehow have "more rights" than those who chose to move here after me?

get out and travel a bit more would be my suggestion.

i fully understand the need to preserve cultures and traditions, but where is it written that only the ones who were 'born here' should?

seems to me, 'localism' should be a little more Bruce Lee, about their 'kung fu', than Old World Chinese. if you get what I mean.

blended, mestizo'd, mixed, interbred mutts is what the world is made up of.... basically.

just because I was born in washington dc, 'our nations capital', does that mean I only have 'local' status there? but wait, my genes say otherwise, they're 65% iberian; so now only the Iberian Peninsula is my 'local'? what about the 6% African? or the 5% Irish, Scotish, Gaelic? and the 1% Eastern European, where's that part fit in?

exactly.... pure breeds were cool, back when they existed. but guess what? mutts is what we are, and we're all the better for it too. evolution, and plain old survival of the fittest, has led us to interbreed long ago, thus providing us all, as a HUMAN race today, with the best of all worlds, soils, breeds, colors, etc...

Localism..... In today's world?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

:shameonyou::socrazy::shameonyou::socrazy: