Hawaii- Done

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
I'll be sympathetic to the complainers when they aren't hypocrites. My facebook feed is filled with people whining about tourism and covid when these same people recently traveled to the mainland for vacation.

Ironically, the woman pictured at the top of the Honolulu Star article is a transplant from Canada. On Maui, the transplants seem to be the most vocal.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
why is someone not sitting down with these legends and a video camera, and just letting you talk story.

a documentary of sorts, like malcolm gault williams website, only live story.

:bowdown:

5/7 PPK, oneula, lelandcruz, etc...

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN, FOR SHARING. MAY JUST SEEM LIKE THE PAST TO YOU, BUT IT'S THE STUFF THAT LAID THE FOUNDATIONS OF WAVE RIDING.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
+1

Someone call Ken Burns.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Ironically, the woman pictured at the top of the Honolulu Star article is a transplant from Canada. On Maui, the transplants seem to be the most vocal.
Same here. I get the frustration, but tourism is a huge part of our economy. The calls should be to manage it better, but look, right now, the awesome tourists we want from Japan etc aren’t coming to the US at all because let’s face it, this is where you come to get COVID. We handled it wrong. Now we’re stuck with dumb red state tourists who don’t spend but take up lots of resources.

I haven’t traveled in a year, don’t plan to until fully vaccinated and less of a risk to myself and others.

Reactions: mundus and Waiehu

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Down the street: Chilis has a line and Whole Foods is empty.
It definitely feels like a different type of tourist right now.
Not the tourists we wanted (high end), but maybe the tourists we deserve.
Screenprint "Tongovaylohuh" on a local high school's football jersey, then messily scrawl "eh fkn haole" with a sharpie on the shoulder, and wipe your ass with it.

Sell to Gumps as autographed, game-worn collectible Tua Tagovailoa jersey.

If you see enough Climpsump fans, try "Youkalaylay" and say it's their new QB, Uiagalelei. Thank me later.

Also, I'm not saying there's a market for Kenyan birth certificates that intersects, but get you that money.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
the recovery is and will be a hyper-V we will be close to normal by the year end(per UHERO) damned to those that fall/die out at this point. The people in power are going to ramrod this thing thru no matter unless all hell breaks loose like in Michigan

Good luck on Maui as you'll be a sacrificial lamb for the Oahu power brokers who need the cash infusion.

You can see it on how they(the politicians and power brokers) are looking at things now especially risk.
Tourism will be back and it will be even worse than it was in 2019 unless there's a societal revolution.

Unfortunately most everyone here is addicted to the tourism/rail dollar.
We suck on the teet of unbridled tourism and then complain of the aftertaste while still sucking.

We're not done making this place way worse than it is today, we got a long way to go to completely destroy it so no one wants to come here anymore.

Just my prediction
People's memory for pain is short and the addiction is great that's why it never gets better here.
We are never satisfied

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Down the street: Chilis has a line and Whole Foods is empty.
It definitely feels like a different type of tourist right now.
Not the tourists we wanted (high end), but maybe the tourists we deserve.
"Some Wailea Beach visitors Saturday said the rally made them feel “unwelcome” and that they will not return to Maui."
From the Maui News this morning.
So much for encouraging high end tourism. Go to arguably the most expensive tourist destination on Maui for the protest and alienate the tourist base that the Mayor is struggling to attract.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
So with less dependence on tourism Hawaii could go back to cane fields? Would probably have to work for next to nothing in order to be competitive. Maybe weed? Is it legal there yet?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
we had a year to figure this out
and we didn't

the solution everywhere in the US and maybe the world
is vaccines
although they may just be a temporary panacea depending on variants
our new condom (versus a mask)

it's too hard for the modern "connected" person to maintain a longview
everyone wants something now
tomorrow is someone else's problem

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
we had a year to figure this out
and we didn't

the solution everywhere in the US and maybe the world
is vaccines
although they may just be a temporary panacea depending on variants
our new condom (versus a mask)

it's too hard for the modern "connected" person to maintain a longview
everyone wants something now
tomorrow is someone else's problem
A rare voice of wisdom on erbb

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Can't force people to take vaccines.
Appears to be a rather large contingent of anti-vaxxer people here on Maui. Going to be interesting when they report figures on the number and percentages of people who have received the vaccine here.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
So with less dependence on tourism Hawaii could go back to cane fields? Would probably have to work for next to nothing in order to be competitive. Maybe weed? Is it legal there yet?
Tourism is 21% of economy, Military is around 19% (Washington Post, 2018), so maybe we could just go all in with military.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Can't force people to take vaccines.
the government can't
private industry on the other hand

they seemed to get away with it regarding mandatory and spontaneous drug tests
Everytime I'm at the kaiser lab for a blood test, half the people there are getting employer mandated drug tests.

That's why the labs are doing such good business pre-covid
Covid tests are another gold mine for certain industrys

but employer insurance liability and workplace safety may drive some of these changes everyone is thinking the government's going to do. I view vaccine travel passports kind of like Kama'aina discounts here, we seem okay with that.

Might be a good way to:
1: allow you to stay a remote worker
2: allow your employer to raise your health insurance plan rates as a higher risk individual

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Tourism is 21% of economy, Military is around 19% (Washington Post, 2018), so maybe we could just go all in with military.
Why doesn't one island just plunder the other islands like in the Olde Days?

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Personally, I never understood how they came up with these percentages. Does this account for retail spending, and how would certain markets be accounted for. Example: A "tourist" goes into a Town and Country surf shop, buys a board, accessories, and clothing. Is this accounted for as sales for the shop and resulting sales tax for the state as being generated by tourism? Furthermore, restaurant and fast food sales, differentiated as tourism generated or not? Food from markets, purchased by an employee of the tourism industry whose wages or tips come for employment in the tourism industry. State and County employees paid from the State budget based on tax revenues. If some of these revenue is generated by sales taxes, how do they know if it is taxes paid by a tourist or a resident? Not my field of expertise, but would like to know how they came up with these figures. Reminds me of a statistics class I took at UH. The first day of class, the Professor said that the thing with statistics is that they can be manipulated to say whatever you want, if you approach them correctly.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Appears to be a rather large contingent of anti-vaxxer people here on Maui. Going to be interesting when they report figures on the number and percentages of people who have received the vaccine here.
Isn't Maui the favorite island for wacky California chicks who think crystals will heal them end up? Could explain it.