CA people: this seems like good news - is it? how bad is this situation?

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
A win for the little guy?
How bad is beach access in CA (when i was there it was only in SF and North of SF - issues seem worse South of that zone) - - is the stuff in this article common, clickbait, irrelevant, very important or what?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Blocking beach access is pretty common in wealthy communities along the coast of California. Some are just more subtle than others. Fake "No Parking" signs were pretty effective in parts of Malibu for a while. But these dumbasses were brazen and had plenty of warnings. They deserve the punishment.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
While I’m opposed to blocking public access to beaches I sometimes have a hard time understanding why the public must have access at this one very specific location when you could walk a couple hundred yards north or south and access there.

PS: I understand there was an easement at one point, etc. and that legally the property owners were in the wrong.

The above is just a general statement.

Kind of like The Ranch. You have to drive by 25 miles of completely open coastline to get to the gate at The Ranch. Why do you have to have car access to The Ranch?

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
Malibu. This sh!t has been going on for 60 years or more. The sheriff caters to the rich and famous.

On the other hand I lived waterfront next to beach access for a few years. Drunken fights, broken bottles, screaming matches, people climbing over the fence to use my outdoor shower and deck. It was fvcked. Most of you people are pigs.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
While I’m opposed to blocking public access to beaches I sometimes have a hard time understanding why the public must have access at this one very specific location when you could walk a couple hundred yards north or south and access there.

PS: I understand there was an easement at one point, etc. and that legally the property owners were in the wrong.

Kind of like The Ranch. You have to drive by 25 miles of completely open coastline to get to the gate at The Ranch. Why do you have to have car access to The Ranch?
The two aren't really relatable for a bunch of reasons. Plenty of Malibu homeowners have flown under the radar for years (if not decades) limiting access in various ways. But once you get caught, repeatedly warned to remove the impediment, and ignore that you really don't leave the authorities much choice. Anything else would result in every homeowner with an access gate nearby doing the same thing. Then it would be a real problem even if one or two of them doing it isn't much of one.

And it's not like the easements come as a surprise to anyone, unlike buying a parcel (or share in one) in The Ranch - in large part bc of its exclusivity - only to have it opened up years or decades later.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Malibu. This sh!t has been going on for 60 years or more. The sheriff caters to the rich and famous.

On the other hand I lived waterfront next to beach access for a few years. Drunken fights, broken bottles, screaming matches, people climbing over the fence to use my outdoor shower and deck. It was fvcked. Most of you people are pigs.
Get a German Shepard.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019

I see your point
Though if the ranch example were the case for a much larger stretch of coastline (which is feasible) then access could be seriously curtailed. I generally hate having the masses easily access pristine beaches though shutting people out by purchasing all surrounding access (minus water access) seems bad

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The most absurd example of this that I know of is Privates in Capitola. IIRC anyone can buy a key and it's $50/year? Coastal Commission and NPR went on a tirade about the social and class justice issues of a pay-to-play beach, when there are literally dozens if not hundreds of access points in Santa Cruz county, some of which with huge parking lots and others within a short walk of the "private" beach. Because like, someone can afford the gas to drive to Santa Cruz from San Jose but can't afford $50/year for a key, and the public is supposed to accommodate that :violin: Having a key is what keeps the place from getting trashed.

Reactions: Ifallalot

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
The most absurd example of this that I know of is Privates in Capitola. IIRC anyone can buy a key and it's $50/year? Coastal Commission and NPR went on a tirade about the social and class justice issues of a pay-to-play beach, when there are literally dozens if not hundreds of access points in Santa Cruz county, some of which with huge parking lots and others within a short walk of the "private" beach. Because like, someone can afford the gas to drive to Santa Cruz from San Jose but can't afford $50/year for a key, and the public is supposed to accommodate that :violin: Having a key is what keeps the place from getting trashed.
The gate is open now and it is a complete sh!t show. Not sure if the County has removed the tax homeowners on Opal pay for the honor either. And don't even get me started on the electric bike takeover...the whole Point looks like the trail to Trestles now.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The gate is open now and it is a complete sh!t show. Not sure if the County has removed the tax homeowners on Opal pay for the honor either. And don't even get me started on the electric bike takeover...the whole Point looks like the trail to Trestles now.
fookin lame. I'm the last person to cry for anyone who can afford to live on Opal, but areas like that are simply not capable of absorbing those kinds of crowds and parking. Then it spills over into the rest of the surrounding neighborhoods.

I can understand the access issue when it comes to Khosla in San Mateo county where there are literally only a handful of access points, but Santa Cruz county is not hurting in that regard.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Fvck that "it would be bad for nature if you were allowed to come here too, nature only wants me here because I paid a lot for it" bullshit. Drag those cvntz out into the street and beat them with rubber hoses. Anyone who bought into a parcel on the Ranch under the false pretense that they would have exclusive access to part of the coast, even if it that was the case at the time, needs to be relieved of that delusion. All arguments for can be summarized as "everyone can't touch it because it would get ruined, but I can touch it because I paid someone else some money in the past and they said only I can". Go fvck yourself, you just don't want Mexicans coming to the beach by where you live.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I am kind of torn about places like beaches on military bases and also the Ranch.

On one hand- sucks when you don't have access.

On the other- I know for a fact that if the bases in Hawaii were public land it would be built lot line to lot line of every sq ft and become an absolute mess.

Same with the ranch.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
I cant afford buying a spot at the ranch but the restricted access doesn't bother me. If I ever have the cash to buy a plot, i'd only do it if it was restricted. It's nice to know some places aren't complete zoo's, even if I'm on the outside looking in

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
I am kind of torn about places like beaches on military bases and also the Ranch.

On one hand- sucks when you don't have access.

On the other- I know for a fact that if the bases in Hawaii were public land it would be built lot line to lot line of every sq ft and become an absolute mess.

Same with the ranch.
the so cal guys should be thanking god/satan every day for pendelton...

just imagine...

:drowning: