Hawaii- Done

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
in most situations refinance and rent it out. Lock in income for the rest of your life
It is hard to do with how expensive properties are in Hawaii. Cash flow with a huge mortgage is very difficult.

Alot of people also need that equity for their next home.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
It is hard to do with how expensive properties are in Hawaii. Cash flow with a huge mortgage is very difficult.

Alot of people also need that equity for their next home.
Ya I was assuming he'd been there a while and close to paying off. Also where he plans to move next is obviously a huge part of the equation. California coast =prob need to sell

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Ya I was assuming he'd been there a while and close to paying off. Also where he plans to move next is obviously a huge part of the equation. California coast =prob need to sell
I moved out of my first house and refinanced it as my primary residence right before renting it out. Dropped the payment by 700 bucks.

Moved out and now it rents for more then my monthly.

Figured when I retire itll be paid off right around then and it will be a nice monthly addition in money for doing nothing.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
live in the same 60+ year old blackfield redwood single walled jalousied house I grew up in.
It's on a 7000-10,000 square foot corner lot. Other than one other family(roadblock's) we're the last of the original home owners from the 1950's when these were built. We also have 2 acres of undeveloped lava rock in Hawaiian Acres on the big island in case we should ever choose to move there.

My sister and I currently care for my 92 year old stroke impacted mother, the last living person of our parent's generation. This used to be a beautiful neighborhood and wonderful remote sugar plantation community to grow up in, just no longer. Lots of chop shops and drug dealers even with cops living of the same street. The buss up house and land probably come out close a million especially the land.

Growing up we spent most of our free time at our beach house 5 minutes away with the rest of our beach ohana learning to live off the ocean and land as best we could. Parties every weekend full of surfing, food, song and hula for dozens including all the local "surf rats".

In the 70's being stupid, young and full of big dreams I thought I was better than all this "backwards living" and ran off to cut my chops in a big city on the mainland far from anyone I knew. It wasn't until almost two decades later I finally realized how much I missed being back home where things were simpler and less than the 100 mile an hour, dog eat dog world of work restructuring every 6 months, not knowing if you were out or in.

I was blessed to have been given an second chance to come back home start over and to payback family responsibility dues for all the years I was living the "good life" away while my siblings took care of things at home as needed.

Many friends and family died, were born, graduated, got married or divorced without my presence but it's not until much later in life do you realize how much of these important things in life you missed out on by not being present to experience those things with your friends and family while they happened. Memories you'll never have and be able to share with others that did stay and participate.

It's easy to take for granted these things like having a beach house with a perfect surf spot out front you can have all to your self anytime you were willing to paddle out. And even though it's all gone now, at least I had a bit of time to build up some memories to share with other old timers who never left here.

It's those connections of community and family you build over a lifetime that you lose when you leave to venture on. Coming home to watch over aging/ailing elderly parents gave me decades to rebuild some of those lost links and appreciate this place for what it is versus what I thought I wanted it to be for me.

It's the people and not the places in your life
It's home, family and lifelong friends and neighbors that become the important currencies of life instead of personal success that elevates your financial stature/reputation to those around you.
It takes a long life to figure that out but hopefully you'll be given that chance before it's too late.

I view it like that day you suddenly realize that all you need is one great ride all the way to the beach to fulfill your day
It takes decades to get to that level of unselfishness as a surfer

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I take it from your description and username you are in old ewa beach by the high school?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
live in the same 60+ year old blackfield redwood single walled jalousied house I grew up in.
It's on a 7000-10,000 square foot corner lot. Other than one other family(roadblock's) we're the last of the original home owners from the 1950's when these were built. We also have 2 acres of undeveloped lava rock in Hawaiian Acres on the big island in case we should ever choose to move there.

My sister and I currently care for my 92 year old stroke impacted mother, the last living person of our parent's generation. This used to be a beautiful neighborhood and wonderful remote sugar plantation community to grow up in, just no longer. Lots of chop shops and drug dealers even with cops living of the same street. The buss up house and land probably come out close a million especially the land.

Growing up we spent most of our free time at our beach house 5 minutes away with the rest of our beach ohana learning to live off the ocean and land as best we could. Parties every weekend full of surfing, food, song and hula for dozens including all the local "surf rats".

In the 70's being stupid, young and full of big dreams I thought I was better than all this "backwards living" and ran off to cut my chops in a big city on the mainland far from anyone I knew. It wasn't until almost two decades later I finally realized how much I missed being back home where things were simpler and less than the 100 mile an hour, dog eat dog world of work restructuring every 6 months, not knowing if you were out or in.

I was blessed to have been given an second chance to come back home start over and to payback family responsibility dues for all the years I was living the "good life" away while my siblings took care of things at home as needed.

Many friends and family died, were born, graduated, got married or divorced without my presence but it's not until much later in life do you realize how much of these important things in life you missed out on by not being present to experience those things with your friends and family while they happened. Memories you'll never have and be able to share with others that did stay and participate.

It's easy to take for granted these things like having a beach house with a perfect surf spot out front you can have all to your self anytime you were willing to paddle out. And even though it's all gone now, at least I had a bit of time to build up some memories to share with other old timers who never left here.

It's those connections of community and family you build over a lifetime that you lose when you leave to venture on. Coming home to watch over aging/ailing elderly parents gave me decades to rebuild some of those lost links and appreciate this place for what it is versus what I thought I wanted it to be for me.

It's the people and not the places in your life
It's home, family and lifelong friends and neighbors that become the important currencies of life instead of personal success that elevates your financial stature/reputation to those around you.
It takes a long life to figure that out but hopefully you'll be given that chance before it's too late.

I view it like that day you suddenly realize that all you need is one great ride all the way to the beach to fulfill your day
It takes decades to get to that level of unselfishness as a surfer
Time vs Money.

Or

Money vs Time.

Time, every single time.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
we call it here "the real ewa beach"
from where the old "welcome to ewa beach" sign used to be all the way to pu'uloa the home of our guardian sharks gods, Kaahupahau and her brother Kahiuka bordered on the other side of Papipi by One'ula, the red sand beach where we grew up.
They call it Haubush Park now but that's an incorrect name. Old timers remember where the real hau trees used to be.

We were an isolated community at the end of a long and scary two lane road (Ft Weaver)
If you are old enough you'll know what it was like back then.
all gone now

the rest was all canefield except for ewa plantation town and honouliuli
now populated and occupied by what my brother calls "cane spiders"

Its ironic how Gentry, Gentryfied the place over the past 50 years

The people living by Campbell high school were those in Halawa Public Housing displaced when they built the stadium.
Our version of the projects beginning of the end of the community.

Original Ewa Beach Road Surf Crew 1968-1970
Original Ewa Beach Rd Surf Crew.jpg

Extended Ohana 40 years later White Plains Reunion 2012 may passed on now
Look good as Jim the Genius is in the back (one of the early white plains crew), along with kekoa and father tony, john sadowlski, Moody brothers, Norman Nauka, Emerson brothers

ewa beach surfer 2012.jpg

butch perreira (sunset legend), Clay Eaton famous enforcer now both Kahu one passed on
Ewa Beach surf club reunion.jpg

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Epic photos @oneula thank you for sharing.

Must be wild to see how much Ewa changed. Pales in comparison to the Windward side

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
in a couple years after the initial post covid boom when rates start up again due to the natural economic cycle of inflation, the market will settle down.
It's really Covid and low rates driving all the craziness. Refinancing is the financial world's toilet paper conundrum.

The natural reaction will be to build build build then the market will tank and there will be over supply. That's what will probably happen with the ongoing high rise craze here.

Same thing happened in Seattle in the 2000's before the crash, then it was nothing but empty condos on capital hill until amazon took off and bought most of lake union.

My industry loves high interest rates so we're looking forward to it as that's when we make money. I'd plan forward get what you can while you can and then put it away to rides the rates as the market adjusts down as it will. The only wild card in all this will be the unknown impact of Crypto on fiats.