Should people have to wait in line to vote at physical locations?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've never waited in a long line to vote or any line at all really. Don't think I've ever waited more than a couple moments for people ahead of me. Its pretty simple. You go in and go to the table based on the first initial of your last name. You show your voter registration card. They look you up in the book. You sign the book. They tear something off that you hand to the person manning the booth. They let you in the booth......you cast your vote......you're out the door. Even in the biggest elections I've never had the process take more than 15 minutes. Polling place is half a mile from my house.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I've never waited in a long line to vote or any line at all really. Don't think I've ever waited more than a couple moments for people ahead of me. Its pretty simple. You go in and go to the table based on the first initial of your last name. You show your voter registration card. They look you up in the book. You sign the book. They tear something off that you hand to the person manning the booth. They let you in the booth......you cast your vote......you're out the door. Even in the biggest elections I've never had the process take more than 15 minutes. Polling place is half a mile from my house.

Ok - but SHOULD you have to - i'm sure there are many people who have not waited in line - that says nothing about those who do/must.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Well, aren't you special.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Perhaps those folks need to speak with their local officials.

Should ?
@GromsDad - should people have to wait - opinions of local officials may vary. (Also local officials do not dictate where or how people are allowed to vote) ((Also the georgia law you reference frequently does not address this issue)

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Should ?
@GromsDad - should people have to wait - opinions of local officials may vary. (Also local officials do not dictate where or how people are allowed to vote) ((Also the georgia law you reference frequently does not address this issue)
Local officials do have a direct effect on if there are lines though and how well things flow. Here it is up to the County Board Of Elections. Not sure how other states do it. They arrange the system on the local level and how well things work out on election day has a lot to do with how good of a job those people do.

I'm all for the finger in the ink method of election security. So long as its one person one vote in the municipality where they reside (not multiple votes at multiple polling places) I'm good.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Gromsdad can you please link us to the statistics that show multiple people voted at multiple polling places in recent elections? Or better yet that there was any significant instances of voter fraud that swayed an election in the United States? Other than the Florida republican that paid a shadow candidate with the same name as his opponent to run in a race that Rs won by 32 votes of course...

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Gromsdad can you please link us to the statistics that show multiple people voted at multiple polling places in recent elections? Or better yet that there was any significant instances of voter fraud that swayed an election in the United States? Other than the Florida republican that paid a shadow candidate with the same name as his opponent to run in a race that Rs won by 32 votes of course...

Why do you get so upset about any measure that makes cheating more difficult?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Did I say something aggressive there? Do questions make you feel threatened? I even said please... :shameonyou:

And since when did conservatives become interested in government placing unnecessary limitations on guaranteed constitutional rights in order to solve a problem that does not exist? :loser:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Georgia just had the most successful election in its history. Why change anything?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If a state's gonna require an ID to vote, they need to make an all-out effort to get IDs to those people who don't have one. You always want the most people possible to vote.

Reactions: sizzld1 and kidfury

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Did I say something aggressive there? Do questions make you feel threatened? I even said please... :shameonyou:

And since when did conservatives become interested in government placing unnecessary limitations on guaranteed constitutional rights in order to solve a problem that does not exist? :loser:
Since they feel threatened about their dwindling power.