Hawaii- Done

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I lived in Florida a pretty short time., comparatively speaking.

Def wasn't born there.

Def not from the East Coast.

Moved around most of my life.
I'm sorry I mis-origin'd you. My bad.

You are from the Xast Coast.

Did you see any Cuban restaurants in Miami? I think the Cuban transplants tried to make Miami like where they came from.

I hear there are Polish butchers in Chicago.

I'm sure New York is the only place with Italian restaurants and Jewish delis on planet Earth though.

• Haha
Reactions: rts265 and Subway

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm sorry I mis-origin'd you. My bad.

You are from the Xast Coast.

Did you see any Cuban restaurants in Miami? I think the Cuban transplants tried to make Miami like where they came from.

I hear there are Polish butchers in Chicago.

I'm sure New York is the only place with Italian restaurants and Jewish delis on planet Earth though.
Cuban food, Italian food, etc = good stuff.

Dunkin' Donuts sucks.

Nothing wrong with resisting East Coast influence, wherever you are.

Unfortunately people often don't realize it until it's too late, then they end up with twenty 50-story apartment buildings lining their beach.

I know you love Florida, each to his own. Hot, steamy, flat, fishing, Harleys, etc not my thing.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Cuban food, Italian food, etc = good stuff.

Dunkin' Donuts sucks.
I'm sorry it's too gritty and working-class for you? Ask Starbucks for a safe space for your sprinter van.

You should try New York circa 100 years ago. I hear some of the Sicilians had some thing of ours they set up here, replicated from the old country.

Maybe England 1000 years ago? Word has it the Normans trannied and wanted stone castles and everyone speaking French.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm sorry it's too gritty and working-class for you? Ask Starbucks for a safe space for your sprinter van.
There's nothing gritty/working class about Dunkin Donuts.

That's a pretty funny comment too, considering I'm pretty much a dirtbag.

I don't drink coffee.

Also, I don't consider Dunkin' Donuts a great cultural culinary contribution.

You should try New York circa 100 years ago. I hear some of the Sicilians had some thing of ours they set up here, replicated from the old country.

Maybe England 1000 years ago? Word has it the Normans trannied and wanted stone castles and everyone speaking French.
I'm not sure what your point is.

I don't think most residents of New York were overly fond of organized crime, nor were the conquered of Britain fond of Normans.

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Yep already seeing it here on Maui. I trannied 10 years ago to HI. So I'm just as guilty, but with island travel including 2 week quarantine for months now what I've seen are more dealer/paper plates and new faces in my small little towns on the north shore.
Damn that's been 10 years already?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There's nothing gritty/working class about Dunkin Donuts.

That's a pretty funny comment too, considering I'm pretty much a dirtbag.

I'm not sure what your point is.

I don't think most residents of New York were overly fond of organized crime, nor were the conquered of Britain fond of Normans.
Dunkin Donuts isn't the low rent Starbucks. I heard the Queen went to one to plot revenge on the milk shake and the ginger. Fancy joint.

My point is East Coast transplants don't have the monopoly on the behavior you're complaining about. By a long shot.
Italians and Jews both made New York more like where they were from, Poles made Chicago more like where they were from, and Normans made England more like where they were from. After Vikings made Normandy more like where they were from.

New York is festooned with neighborhoods called Little ${Country} because immigrants made it more like home.

Cortez probably more interested in Jesus than Huizilopotchtli.

• Love
Reactions: bluemarlin04

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I just noticed that. I could tell from his IG pictures. Waist high waves, blue green-ish water, no mountains in the background.

And more fishing pictures than surfing pictures. Gotta be FL
So good to hear he is doing well. I hot-coated and finned all Tory and TJ's boards at the Swamp in the 90's (they were Third Stone team guys, so all free) and they were both such great kids, mellow and humble and grateful and just really cool. Their dad Tim was also a really good guy, although slightly scary haha

Reactions: racer1

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I think the mokes who hassled me as a kid did go to prison.
In grade school, one of the slightly older kids at the public pool would punch out younger kids for thrill (while his older meaner brother egged him on). Once got a fat lip just turning around in response to a "Hey you".

Anyway, fast forward a few years to high school, there was a rumor his older brother did some crime and went to to state prison. Later found out it was not the older brother but the dad, and it was for rape. No idea whatever happened with the kid who punched me.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
In grade school, one of the slightly older kids at the public pool would punch out younger kids for thrill (while his older meaner brother egged him on). Once got a fat lip just turning around in response to a "Hey you".

Anyway, fast forward a few years to high school, there was a rumor his older brother did some crime and went to to state prison. Later found out it was not the older brother but the dad, and it was for rape. No idea whatever happened with the kid who punched me.
The guy I posted a picture of held a tourist couple at gunpoint and raped the wife, while the husband watched, I guess. That's the story I heard anyway. The photo of him was posted on a registered sex offender list so...

Most locals are extremely cool, I'd like to add, so as not to paint the wrong picture of the place.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Transplant or an inbred townie... I know plenty of sh!theads in both camps, their afflictions are different but just as bad.

I LOVE d!ckhead hard core locals- I can deal w them, they do keep crowds down and they rarely if ever venture away from whatever spot they fester at.

Boy I miss the very long gone bygone era of very few surfers - not a popular thing to do & the only ones that did were really determined and that’s the only reason they were able to learn how to surf, read a line up, etc - pretty much everyone competent if not advanced and instinctively understood how to surf with others. Most would all go to whatever spot was working the best vs primarily staying at your “home break.” So few didn’t even matter.

Reactions: youcantbeserious

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I was discussing cashing out real estate with my family. The real estate on Oahu continues to go nuts. Agents cold calling home owners asking if they want to sell. Homes going to $500k over asking. I told myself I'd never sell but then someone said "everyone has a price". And that is true. I do have a price and I'm not sure what I would do if someone actually offered it.

How long will long time locals with family homes hold out? More and more people who can work remotely can offer massive amounts for a home. It is interesting to think about who will stay and who will say "Mahalo and enjoy your new home" while laughing all the way to the bank.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If someone offered me a ridiculous amount it would be very very hard for me to say no.

My parents told me that they constantly are getting calls asking if their home is for sale.

The realtors must just go through the pages and see who has been there for 35+ years and asking if they plan to stay.