Hawaii- Done

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
less is always more.

less children you have, more disposable income and time to go surf.

less you work, more time you have to go surf.

less you owe, less you have to work to meet monthly obligations, more time you have to go surf.

less money you have, less time you spend worrying about said money, more time you have to go surf.

minimalism is the key.

clearly you have to make time to dumpster dive for food, and scavenge a few banana leaves to cover the hole in the trees you use to sleep in close to the waves; but other than that? surf, surf, surf, surf, and when you are all worn out, tired, bushed, can't raise your arms above your shoulder no more? GO SURF SOME MORE!!!

pretty easy really, we just all get caught up with all the BS life has to offer.

:waving:
too much surf is no fun, only need 2 hour sessions in decent waves at least 3x a week to feel in tune. surfing all day everyday is for kids and man children, would rather do something else when the waves are no good.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
less is always more.

less children you have, more disposable income and time to go surf.

less you work, more time you have to go surf.

less you owe, less you have to work to meet monthly obligations, more time you have to go surf.

less money you have, less time you spend worrying about said money, more time you have to go surf.

minimalism is the key.

clearly you have to make time to dumpster dive for food, and scavenge a few banana leaves to cover the hole in the trees you use to sleep in close to the waves; but other than that? surf, surf, surf, surf, and when you are all worn out, tired, bushed, can't raise your arms above your shoulder no more? GO SURF SOME MORE!!!

pretty easy really, we just all get caught up with all the BS life has to offer.

:waving:
Do your creditors share that same sentiment? :trout:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Part of the reason Hawaii is getting lame is all these transplants moving here with their big city ideas.

Used to be a cool spot. Now they come in and they want to create rental car businesses, high rises, and turn it into NYC.

Reactions: Yewstreet

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Part of the reason Hawaii is getting lame is all these transplants moving here with their big city ideas.

Used to be a cool spot. Now they come in and they want to create rental car businesses, high rises, and turn it into NYC.
story of forever. trannies move in and bring all their sh!t with them. cant believe how awesome their new digs are. so much better than where they bailed from. all the while theyre busy recreating their little hell all over again.

rinse and repeat

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
This isn’t a unique thing to Hawaii by any stretch of the imagination. Anywhere that’s desirable to live is either a sh!t show, in the process of becoming one or is on the waiting list.... this happens over, and over; not a new thing. Can point fingers n lay blame all you want - it’s a human thing, it’s the way we try operate. If you’re in a beautiful bubble only somewhere, enjoy it while you can! If not, have to get creative to find some space.

The only way I’d travel to Hawaii, or a number of other places, is in a fkn time machine

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
This isn’t a unique thing to Hawaii by any stretch of the imagination. Anywhere that’s desirable to live is either a sh!t show, in the process of becoming one or is on the waiting list.... this happens over, and over; not a new thing. Can point fingers n lay blame all you want - it’s a human thing, it’s the way we try operate. If you’re in a beautiful bubble only somewhere, enjoy it while you can! If not, have to get creative to find some space.

The only way I’d travel to Hawaii, or a number of other places, is in a fkn time machine
The depressing truth.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

Heard Bend, Oregon has become an absolute sh!t show.

My friend said its insane there now.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
A colleague said Little Rock is the new Austin. He just bought a second house there.
Heard the same.

Speaking of Austin I heard that its gone crazy and all these california people are piling into Austin cause they are selling their house and buying in Austin in cash.

• Wow
Reactions: racer1

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
little rock... well it is green and theres lots of water and theres lots of trees and sh!t plus electricitys cheap. its just a cuntry mile downstream from arkansas nuke one

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Being from Hawaii and having lived in LA for college for 4 years, I'll give my perspective on why this won't work out for CA people:

- Island Fever. It's real if you aren't from here.
- Buying a home sight unseen is PSYCHO.
- Time zones. 3 hours behind PST and 6 behind EST. Sounds minor, but over time it's irritating trying to do business with remote offices 3/6 hours ahead.
- No materialism here. The richest people I know drive CRV's/Camrys. Nobody gives a sh!t about a Range Rover. You will be ostracized by locals in your lululemon,$80 tshirts, apple watches, patagonia bubble jackets.
- No value in RE. Everything is overpriced and 50 years old and salt water is eating everything.
- No Mexican food. No burritos and no taquerias. For real. You cannot get a decent burrito anywhere. It's a fcking problem.
- It's pretty boring out here if you don't surf, fish, hike, swim, beach, etc. I guess you could golf but it's so damn hot.
- You will get passive aggressively checked here. LIke Jamesgang said. Mokes will park a lifted tacoma 2" from your driveway to see if you say something. If you do, you're out. If you don't, cool. If you bring a cold pack and a chair, you're family.
- Locals will stare at you all the time, you will have no anonymity.
- Your kids, who will not be local (skin color doesn't matter, we all know) will get checked HARD at school. They will come home crying. I think it actually builds character, my nieces (who are local but look white) used to get checked and hated it. Then they started standing up for themselves and getting in kids faces. Now they have tons of friends.
Yup. About 7 years ago my wife got offered a good job in the islands so we went. I could not talk her out of it. She lasted 6 months. Having lived there during my teens, and knowing her, I knew she wouldn't like it. We did find a halfway decent Mexican restaurant in Kapaa though.

Reactions: TeamScam and Subway

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Heard Bend, Oregon has become an absolute sh!t show.

My friend said its insane there now.
Curious, where did your friend move from and when did he move to Bend? Moved from Oahu to Bend 5 years ago. Lived most of my life on Oahu, went to school at UCSB, and lived in SF for 5 years. It really depends on the person's view of insane and sh!tshow, I guess. Coming from Oahu, and compared to SF, Bend is still empty. 1/100 of the traffic. I can drive 20-30 minutes in any direction, and hike rivers and waterfalls without seeing anyone. Relative to other places I've lived, Bend is not super expensive.

Not making any statement, just find how differently people can view their situation fascinating. I always ask people who complain about Bend whether they would live here now, or back in the days when meth and logging were the only game in town to support yourself.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
The market in Tahoe went nuts during the first dot.com bubble. The whole place changed. The funky little market in North Lake Tahoe started stocking Dom and live lobster. My dad had a house with a view of the lake he bought for 250. Sold it for 2 million+. It was kind of sad. The whole place changed. The people that had grown up there got squeezed. Their kids couldn't afford to stay there. The days of working a few side jobs, waiting tables, ski lessons and living the life up there vanished. The tourist thing in the summer got nuts. You couldn't go anywhere around the lake for the traffic. That is one place I could have left the ocean for. The wife and I talked about doing it before we had kids. Sometimes I wonder...
Snowboarding 3 feet of POW is pretty fantastic.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
There's an exodus from california not just to hawaii but to CO WY ID MT TX AZ, all over the west. Seen numerous complaints on other forums I'm active on.
LOL Not Utah? Population increase in Utah due to every family having at least
six kids.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'd go for Fayetteville over Little Rock any day.

Nashville's done

Helen, GA getting blown up

Next up, Knoxville and Chattanooga?
Ok, so what the hell is next? Conway? Pine Bluff? Brunswick? Pensacola?
Chapelle probably blew up his home town in that Letterman show.
Everybody going schmedium town living now?

Last edited:

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
been coming to Bend for 30 years, now live here. Is it more crowded then 30 years ago? Yep. Is it a sh!t show? Hardly. Friendly town to live in, every recreation under the sun on tap other than surfing, which is either a drive west or an airplane ride 25 mins north.

Here's the deal...8 BILLION people on this shrinking rock...they all gotta live somewhere, and a lot of them with fat techie bank can do it where they want.

Sooo...accept it for what it is, be in the place that works best for you and make your stand...think it's bad now, give it another decade or two...you'll be calling this the good old days