For 92122

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Here's some cool history of your zip code (and the community I grew up in) that I thought you'd enjoy.

UC has interesting street names. Here is an excerpt from an old Reader article about SD street names with a mention about UC. Full article below.

“Another local giant in land development, whose activities spanned from the early Fifties until his death in 1973, was Irvin J. Kahn. ‘‘When he died, he had 1500 employees, so it’s hard to remember who named what streets,” says Kahn’s widow, Eleanor. But she does remember Governor Drive, the main thoroughfare of University City, and how it was named — and she thinks about it every time she drives by. ‘ ‘We had a specific theme — the university, UCSD. We were driving around one Sunday and Irvin said, ‘Hey, honey, you wanna name some streets today?’ and I said, ‘Sure, why not?’ So to be consistent with the learning-and-education theme, I named the main street Governor Drive for the Board of Governors, and Regents Road for the Board of Regents, and Pennant Way because college kids collect pennants, and Honors Drive for high academic hopes. And then there’s a whole section of streets named for Nobel Prize winners,” Mrs. Kahn recalls. ‘‘Pauling Street, for instance, for Linus Pauling. Today when people give me directions and ask if I know where Governor Drive is, I just say yes — but I think, ‘I named it! ’ At that time I wasn’t particularly impressed with the fact that I was naming some streets,” she says. ‘‘Not as impressed as I am now.”

Reactions: sdsrfr and PPK96754

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Apparently we all have one chance to change our screen name... considered changing mine to 92014 since that's where I grew up and my parents still live.

But then I started really enjoying life in the 92122 in my 20's. Lived with a buddy for about 7 years in central UTC (where I eventually met my now wife who lived 2 blocks away). His father owned our condo, so we were solid and had so much fun while I was attending UCSD. We lived on Regents Road.

The initial UCSD campus was "Camp Calvin B Matthews", an Army base where soldiers received their marksmanship training (check the rock / plaque in the core campus). It was deeded to the Regents for higher education in the late 60's, and assumedly that's why we have a "Regents Road" nearby.

Once UCSD was established in the NW corner of the 92122 (technically not 92122 at all since it is mostly west of the I-5 in La Jolla 92037) University City (and hence UTC) was master planned and developed through the 60's, 70's and 80's, from NW, to SE. Many of the neighborhoods off Governor Drive still have powerlines up, but ours was one of the last developed and all the lines are buried, which we appreciate.

Never knew how many of the streets were named for significant achievers, so that's cool to read about. Heck, I grew up in a neighborhood in the 92014 where one of our favorite streets to bomb down on our bikes was "Boca Raton" (Rats Mouth). heh heh.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone know the story with Lebon and Nobel?

I always thought it was funny to give someone directions through there.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Anyone know the story with Lebon and Nobel?
Per the OP article reference, Nobel should refer to the Nobel prize, with a slew of other streets named after actual Nobel prize winners.

Lebon is Nobel spelled backwards, so maybe just a play on words to name more streets.

Reactions: npsp

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Lebon is Nobel spelled backwards, so maybe just a play on words to name more streets.
yeah, I know it’s just Nobel backwards but I don’t think any of the other streets in that area did the same. Was curious if there was a reason we don’t have others.

another funny neighborhood with street names is Cardiff. Old land owner’s wife was homesick, so he had her name all the streets after her favorite places in the UK.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Apparently we all have one chance to change our screen name... considered changing mine to 92014 since that's where I grew up and my parents still live.

But then I started really enjoying life in the 92122 in my 20's. Lived with a buddy for about 7 years in central UTC (where I eventually met my now wife who lived 2 blocks away). His father owned our condo, so we were solid and had so much fun while I was attending UCSD. We lived on Regents Road.

The initial UCSD campus was "Camp Calvin B Matthews", an Army base where soldiers received their marksmanship training (check the rock / plaque in the core campus). It was deeded to the Regents for higher education in the late 60's, and assumedly that's why we have a "Regents Road" nearby.

Once UCSD was established in the NW corner of the 92122 (technically not 92122 at all since it is mostly west of the I-5 in La Jolla 92037) University City (and hence UTC) was master planned and developed through the 60's, 70's and 80's, from NW, to SE. Many of the neighborhoods off Governor Drive still have powerlines up, but ours was one of the last developed and all the lines are buried, which we appreciate.

Never knew how many of the streets were named for significant achievers, so that's cool to read about. Heck, I grew up in a neighborhood in the 92014 where one of our favorite streets to bomb down on our bikes was "Boca Raton" (Rats Mouth). heh heh.
Ha! Super small world. I loved growing up in UC. It was during the 70s-80s and very good times. My dad still lives on Stresemann. We'll be there for dinner tonight.
Before moving to Cardiff a couple of years ago, for 17 years we lived on Long Boat Way; which was a great neighborhood as well.
This part of the county has a really cool history. Where UC was built was grazing land at one point, we used to find barbwire, horse shoes, etc... on vacant lots and on the bluff that became Marcy Park.
UC is still a great place to live and raise a family.

Reactions: PPK96754