Universal Basic Income

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
When inflation exceeds minimum wage's purchasing power, that is exactly a reduction in a economic safety net.

Maybe now you get it?
Like I said, national minimum wage needs raising. But $15 an hour is pretty much over the top and WAY higher than inflation has been the last 30-40 years.

For instance. Minimum wage was $3.00 an hour back in 1980. That $3 is now worth about $10 in 2021 dollars.

I mentioned above that's what I believe the NATIONAL minimum wage should be.

Individual states can raise it to $50 an hour for all I care. Good luck with that.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
did you read Escape from Davao?

that was some real heavy sh!t
No I haven't. My dad actually wrote a book of his experiences as POW in WWII.

Eating bugs and lizards to survive. Scraping the dried rice scraps from Japanese military cooking pots. Along with his sabotage stories while working as slave labor at the Mitsubishi shipyards. Not sure if he ever thought about escaping? I think they beat and starved them so much, they had little energy to get far?

I heard his war stories constantly, so I had little interest reading about others. Though I know many were as bad and worse than my dad. He barely survived and was down to 75 pounds when they repatriated him. Caught and survived all kinds of jungle diseases. Another couple weeks and he may not have made it. Japanese POW camps were atrocious. German POW camps were like resorts in comparison.

But he also added a bunch of political opinions in the second half of his book (he was a staunch Roosevelt/Kennedy democrat) and spewed a lot a Reagan conspiracy stuff that detracted from his original story. It was called "The G2 Connection". He was a G2 agent as sergeant and supposed had a few other guys he communicated with prior to capture on Corregidor. He really liked the "French Connection" story/movie and its premise, so he kind of adopted that type of theme to the 2nd half of his book. It ended up pretty controversial (and dissed in some respects) in the POW groups, and never really caught on. I guess I may have inherited some of that, along with his artistic talents?

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
did you read Escape from Davao?

that was some real heavy sh!t
Not much compares with the end on Corregidor. Tunnels full of people that went stark raving mad from the shelling.

When I was a kid the burger flipper jobs (I worked in a gas station) were part time jobs done by high school and college age kids that mostly lived at home. Back then those weren’t really livable wage jobs by their nature.

What do high school juniors and seniors do for work now?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I bet she also had thousands of stories of legit families needing help, too. Those aren't very interesting though.

There's always gonna be some bad apples, always. The good ones should not suffer because of the very few bad ones. This is a grade school mentality, "Johnny was bad so no recess for anyone" kinda bullshit. I;'d be willing to bet that the amount of "cheating" going on in welfare systems in the US is close to if not "immaterial," to use the words generally accepted accounting principles.
Like the more than $11 BILLION in unemployment fraud in CA alone last year?

Ya, chump change and just GAAP tolerance error. :foreheadslap:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
So are fraud and deceit the only things that properly trickles down?
Amazing how fraud and deceit are such issues while blindly supporting the biggest lying fraud around as President, you really cannot make up the cognitive dissonance.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Big Tech is the new Big Oil.

They now get more corpo favoritism than Big Oil every dreamed of getting.

They know where their bread is buttered and Dems will let them slide as long as they control MSM and social media content.

• Dislike
Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

They know where their bread is buttered and Dems will let them slide as long as they control MSM and social media content.
No fan of big tech, but no industry has gotten more govt. freebies than big oil.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Really? Will the Information Superhighway be cutting through the permafrost and will Google be relocating their HQ to Bears Ears?

And do I have this correct that you support, if not embrace, the outright lying and BS coming from the mouth of Trump and minions that makes America weaker?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Really? Will the Information Superhighway be cutting through the permafrost and will Google be relocating their HQ to Bears Ears?

And do I have this correct that you support, if not embrace, the outright lying and BS coming from the mouth of Trump and minions that makes America weaker?
They suck up more fossil fuel energy to power server farms than many countries alone.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
the most recent results from the Stockton CA SEED experiment

SEED

Because my family had no "connections" , I dug and screened dirt for lawns, shoveled chicken manure to mix with left over cane bagasse to sell as fertilizer , and worked in both the pineapple field and cannery to appreciate not having to work those jobs for the rest of my life. Not allot of fast food joints back then but I did buss tables at Kelly's by the airport one summer to experience that lifestyle as well. Good physical hard work is good for both the body and the mind.

My father was working as a machinist apprentice in pearl harbor on Dec 7. Joined the army and went through ww2, the korean war and the vietnam war before retiring after over 40+ years of service/civil service. He never talked about any of his experiences but for some reason never owned gun the rest of his life, although he missed it so much he later became a docent on the mighty mo when it came here and was part of many local veterans associations.

I think the societal freedom of not having to be trapped to an employer because of financial/insurance dependencies would radically change our country for the better and take us back to the more entrepreneurial small business workforce we had before the industrial revolution which just created a new form of worker slavery. It's being done today disguised as this so called "gig economy" which is more like an excuse for corporations to avoid employer obligations.

But we'll see
No one likes change

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
They suck up more fossil fuel energy to power server farms than many countries alone.
That's all you have? And I am not surprised that the Tech industry utilizes more resources than Bhutan.

Or are you really irritated with Tech because they are resisting the proliferation/parroting of the BS and lies that your ilk so gleefully spread without repercussions?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Lol, link?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Who would even think that way?

Do you think of what other people make and that influences the work you do?
The right's arguments always born out of their petiness and vindictiveness. Always.

Then they mock people because they have feelings.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Not much compares with the end on Corregidor. Tunnels full of people that went stark raving mad from the shelling.

When I was a kid the burger flipper jobs (I worked in a gas station) were part time jobs done by high school and college age kids that mostly lived at home. Back then those weren’t really livable wage jobs by their nature.

OnlyFans

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

My sister's high school kid got laid off from work and needed money.

I said I'd pay him 20 bucks an hour to pull weeds in the back.

Both he and my sister looked me like, "You want to make the little Prince do yard work?"

I hate yard work too but I guess he didn't need the money.

My sister was like, I will give him the money before I let him go work for you.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink