Best foil for you.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Lift surf 250's would work for you. Are you just learning? How much are they going for?

The problem with lift at your weight will be the flex in the mast. It won't stop you from learning, just a bit more unstable than you need. AXIS 19mm aluminum mast will fix that issue. If you want AXIS wing recommendations just ask. They came out with new wings which are making their way into the wild right now and people may be selling stuff to upgrade currently so watch for them. I actually know of one guy in LA who may be selling a full mast, fuse, wings set. He hasn't confirmed if he is or not to me though.

EDIT: and they all suck because surfer's are terrible business men. It's a real annoyance when you have to use instagram and message boards to get any real information from people.
I'm still learning. I can get up behind a boat, fly the foil, and do swopping turns without issue.

What would be a good AXIS combination? The aluminum mast is much stronger than carbon?

The lift setup was a mast, 200, and 250 for 1500 obo. Not sure if that is worth it for used gear. I could probably make an offer but I'm still trying to research what to buy. So far the AXIS site has been the most informative in terms of specs. Go foil and Lift are a joke.

Edit: Any thoughts on this Wing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hdip

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA

Not really a ton of info here. But it’s interesting to see. He liked it. I didn’t realize it has a soft trailing edge. That’s interesting

Mar 20, 2019
I'm still learning. I can get up behind a boat, fly the foil, and do swopping turns without issue.

What would be a good AXIS combination? The aluminum mast is much stronger than carbon?

The lift setup was a mast, 200, and 250 for 1500 obo. Not sure if that is worth it for used gear. I could probably make an offer but I'm still trying to research what to buy. So far the AXIS site has been the most informative in terms of specs. Go foil and Lift are a joke.

Edit: Any thoughts on this Wing?

I haven't heard much feedback about the BSC wings yet, but yes that would be a good size for you or maybe the 1060 if you're in stronger waves. I'd recommend the short fuse to start. And the 400 or 390 tail.

A lot of guys like the 1010 wing, which you might be able to find used. Either way the 19mm mast is super stiff which you'll like for your weight. Really can't go wrong with axis, as there are so many options.

Reactions: sozzle

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Thanks for all the advice so far.

What's the opinion on prone foil boards? Seems short and stiff is where the market is going. I read to ride the volume at about what you do for a groveler. Is that right? I tried towing on a super short high volume blue planet board and it was really hard to put under water to duck dive. I think it was 4'6 x 20 x 4 ~54L. I see a few on CL ~40L which is what I would ride for a grovel board. What is everyone else doing?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Ran into Daniel from Ono foil yesterday, he was riding his first production Swift 230. Only got a quick look at it but it looked really good and he was connecting the little 1 footers with ease on it.

He was also nice enough to send me some 3d printed stab shims, been on the -1 last couple sessions and definitely had a bit more quickness on the pump back out.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Anybody word on the new Neilpryde foils designed by KDmaui?

Saw MACKite has them for sale

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I asked piros on instagram about them since he was all about the neil pryde's for a bit. He says the Kujira blows them out of the water.

*shrugs* KDMaui also is making his front wings again. Completely different design than the Neil Pryde lineup. They fit an axis Kite Fuse or a customized neil pryde fuse. He says they're best for downwind or wing though and they're not the lightest since they're full fiberglass.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
While I agree that looks amazing. He’s working so hard. That’s a 645sq cm front wing. So tiny! Everyone in Hawaii seems to be going to tiny wings now.
Oh i totally agree with the work side of that wing size, do you think the new 150 /200 will have similar albeit not quite as radical performance?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I don't have any personal 3rd hand reports of it yet. A lot of people out at Kahana Bay in Hawaii were said to love it though. Considering the fact that I'm going to need a HA170 to try some downwind runs I had really high hopes for the surf v2's. But now I'm not so sure. Gamechanger for a surf wing, HA170 for a downwind wing I guess.

The Kujira seems to be just a little bit worse in each way because it's a compromise between the two.

Reactions: sozzle

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Added a Lift 200 V2 Surf, 28" mast, 40 and 25HA tails to the stable today.

Talk about a cheater wing, felt super comfortable on it after just my second wave. It's seriously a skateboard on the face, granted I've been swooping on my Hyper 210 all year. By the end of my short session I was trying to crank my cutbacks, not something I've been able to do with a foil on the normally gutless wave I frequent.

Pumping out the back doesn't have the glide of my Hyper but it's somehow "lighter" on my legs. You also have to keep the speed up, failed a lot of my double dips today with a stall.

Pretty excited to get this wing in some "real" waves, you know, like waist high.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009

Talk about a cheater wing, felt super comfortable on it after just my second wave. It's seriously a skateboard on the face, granted I've been swooping on my Hyper 210 all year. By the end of my short session I was trying to crank my cutbacks, not something I've been able to do with a foil on the normally gutless wave I frequent.

Pumping out the back doesn't have the glide of my Hyper but it's somehow "lighter" on my legs. You also have to keep the speed up, failed a lot of my double dips today with a stall.

Pretty excited to get this wing in some "real" waves, you know, like waist high.
I’m seriously considering the 150v2, I managed to double dip a load on my groms 995cm gongfoil setup at the weekend And imagine the lift would be a lot better with the considerably higher aspect ratio of 6.5 compared to gong around 4.
I’m bored as fvck of not being able to turn properly on large span wings.

Last edited:
Reactions: grendel95

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA

Great review. I'm about to buy all new gear and seriously considering lift. Mainly because guys here are getting into true prone downwinders and I want to learn that so I need a HA170. Then do I go v2 surf wings from lift. Or sig gamechangers like I had assumed. Keep the lift surf v2 thoughts coming.

Reactions: grendel95

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Yeh as far as surfy wings you’re either going lift or game changer at the moment.