Surfer dies at Rincon following collision with another surfer...

March 6, 2021

A surfer died at a Ventura hospital Saturday afternoon following a collision with another rider at the popular Rincon Point break.

The male surfer had been taken by ambulance to Community Memorial Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

The other surfer involved in the collision also went to a hospital via private transport.
No information was available on that rider's condition.

The ocean rescue was reported around 1:14 p.m. on the Ventura County side of the point.
Radio traffic from the scene indicated a male surfer had been pulled from the water.
Ventura County firefighters said they were performing CPR and requested that an air squad respond.
Crews at one point said the patient was in cardiac arrest.
Ventura County Sheriff's Copter 8 was dispatched.
At around 1:50 p.m., crews were preparing for a possible helicopter landing on the beach.
The helicopter hovered in the area for a time but never set down.
Firefighters also requested sheriff's deputies respond to the beach for crowd control to keep the area clear for paramedics.
Shortly before 2:20 p.m., a ground ambulance crew said it was transporting the patient to Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura.

At around 3:20 p.m.the sheriff's agency learned the victim had been pronounced dead at the hospital.
No information about his age or city of residence was immediately available.

Link to story:

• Sad
Reactions: potato-nator

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The post COVID level of fvckery in the water is hard to take. I pulled up yesterday and watched 5 collisions in 15 minutes. I’m not even sure if I’m a surfer anymore. Its become embarrassing.
Beginners?

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
Beginners?
A lot of very inexperienced people along with everyone else chasing not enough waves to go around. Bad behavior abounds. No repercussion. I’m shocked this hasn‘t happened more regularly. You don’t have to watch very long to people going left on right points, taking off five at a time or ditching their boards in front a 2’ wall of rampaging mush. The weekends are ridiculous. During the week, you can get lucky sometimes. But that is increasingly a low percentage occurrence

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
A lot of very inexperienced people along with everyone else chasing not enough waves to go around. Bad behavior abounds. No repercussion. I’m shocked this hasn‘t happened more regularly. You don’t have to watch very long to people going left on right points, taking off five at a time or ditching their boards in front a 2’ wall of rampaging mush. The weekends are ridiculous. During the week, you can get lucky sometimes. But that is increasingly a low percentage occurrence
I had a SUP guy at my local yesterday who would go left when there was clearly a right (and I was in position for the right) and after I'd pulll out he'd reverse direction and go right. He did that twice :cursing: .

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
You don’t have to watch very long to people going left on right points
Had an old man ditch his longboard right at me doing something like this on my second surf after moving to California. My brother just laughed and said I better get used to it. This was pre covid. I can't imagine what it is like now.

I haven't surfed in two weeks because of an injury. Surprisingly, I am much happier and in a better mood than I was two months ago when I was surfing 5 times a week.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Where’s the MidPointMafia when you need them?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
California must have some of the worst crowds in the world, EASY. Rincon probably at the top of the list.

I remember how odd it was that it was more crowded at first light than it was after 9, 10am. I guess it's because of the proximity to really big cities, people gotta go to work but they're close enough to squeeze a surf in every day.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Surfing combines my favorite thing, riding waves, with my least favorite thing, competing with people for limited resources.

I can do it, but it's not fun for me.

Not having fun in the pursuit of trying to fun is weird.
This mentality has been affecting me more and more. I swear Honolua is more crowded this winter on "meh" days and it's always been crowded on good days, vs my kite control has gotten to the point where I can surf any wave however I want without the kite falling out of the sky. The end result is I have so much fun riding so many waves with no one in the way while kiting vs banging elbows for a few okay rides while surfing. It makes it hard to motivate to surf anymore.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
March 6, 2021

A surfer died at a Ventura hospital Saturday afternoon following a collision with another rider at the popular Rincon Point break.

The male surfer had been taken by ambulance to Community Memorial Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

The other surfer involved in the collision also went to a hospital via private transport.
No information was available on that rider's condition.

The ocean rescue was reported around 1:14 p.m. on the Ventura County side of the point.
Radio traffic from the scene indicated a male surfer had been pulled from the water.
Ventura County firefighters said they were performing CPR and requested that an air squad respond.
Crews at one point said the patient was in cardiac arrest.
Ventura County Sheriff's Copter 8 was dispatched.
At around 1:50 p.m., crews were preparing for a possible helicopter landing on the beach.
The helicopter hovered in the area for a time but never set down.
Firefighters also requested sheriff's deputies respond to the beach for crowd control to keep the area clear for paramedics.
Shortly before 2:20 p.m., a ground ambulance crew said it was transporting the patient to Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura.

At around 3:20 p.m.the sheriff's agency learned the victim had been pronounced dead at the hospital.
No information about his age or city of residence was immediately available.

Link to story:
R.I.P.
And peace to family and friends who will miss them

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
wonder how the guy feels who dealt the death blow