Declining birth rates.....

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Perhaps it's a crisis because it signals an increase in mental health issues in the younger people.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I'd consider Social Security the best example. The first round of beneficiaries didn't pay in; it was a transfer from young to old. You will need a base of a pyramid to continue paying the benefits at the top. As constituted today, it doesn't seem feasible if you had 1:1 contributors and beneficiaries.
pyramid And ponzi schemes aren’t the same thing.

also, a Ponzi scheme involves fraud and promised huge investment returns - neither of those are present in social security. At worst, your description just shown one generation got it better than the rest.

I get that there is a lot of concern about how to fund ss, but the system is hardly a fraudulent scheme.

Reactions: Aruka

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

also, a Ponzi scheme involves fraud and promised huge investment returns - neither of those are present in social security. At worst, your description just shown one generation got it better than the rest.

I get that there is a lot of concern about how to fund ss, but the system is hardly a fraudulent scheme.
Okay pyramid being a more accurate description than Ponzi, well said.

The broader point about funding the senior citizen social safety net still stands.

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
Because Millennials are the largest generational group in the U.S. ever and they are suddenly realizing that they need a populous tax base of worker bees to support them in their old age.

I think the best solution is to set up something like The Purge. Only it's for Millennials. The Millennial Purge. Every March 4th you can kill as many Millennials as possible. No bag limits. Keep America beautiful. Kill a Millennial. Starts now. GO!!!!

• Love
Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

yes. that’s what I meant. Pyramid scheme. I mix those up

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
false, capital markets are also dependent upon growth at all costs

the entire system is dependent upon growth at all costs
Can you expand on this? I don't understand how capital markets cease to function in the absence of economic/population growth. But I can certainly come up with how a beneficiary/contributor idea like Social Security does.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Why is it a crisis?

Every thing is a “crisis”.

Overpopulation - crisis.

Declining birth rates - crisis.

Warming planet - crisis.

Cooling planet - crisis.

Not enough rain - crisis.

too much rain....

Crisis at the border
healthcare crisis
Housing crisis
homeless crisis

I hope you learn from this.
Oh there's not doubt we're a country that loves stupid and unnecessary drama. I'm numb to the word.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
But what does it really mean?

...plenty of other distractions or just a decreased zest?
It means that we're having fewer kids and that the only way to keep our economies going is by more immigration.

Women have careers and less time for babies. Medicine is better so women can wait longer and have fewer kids. Sperm rates are decreasing in many areas too.

The issue isn't really that there won't be enough people - it's that there won't be enough of the right "kind" of people (read, white Christians) to sustain what the Pilgrims started a few hundred years ago.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
It means that we're having fewer kids and that the only way to keep our economies going is by more immigration.

Women have careers and less time for babies. Medicine is better so women can wait longer and have fewer kids. Sperm rates are decreasing in many areas too.

The issue isn't really that there won't be enough people - it's that there won't be enough of the right "kind" of people (read, white Christians) to sustain what the Pilgrims started a few hundred years ago.
The story of mankind is migration and population replacement and interbreeding.