Watch out! Cyclist coming through

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
@casa, you are in between a size S, and Medium on the Stance. Ride both for 10+ minutes and choose the one which feels best to you.
With the Stance’s reach measurements I’d recommend the Medium. Old school advice says when between sizes go smaller. New school wisdom says go bigger (reach > more important than stand over).

Last edited:
Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers
Jul 21, 2015
@casa - if between sizes I always go smaller... much easier to make "smaller bike fit larger" than a "larger bit fit smaller"

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Do you think I'm better off on a hardtail in longrun?

How hard are they on the culo?
100%
You get a lot more bike/$
They’re easier to learn on, especially if you want to learn how to wheelie/manual and bunny hop.
If you decide that riding is dank, you’re going to want have one.
If you get a FS, there’s a very good chance you’re going to choose the wrong bike for you down the line rn (wish you spent more/got more bike, spent too much/got too much bike, etc.).
There’s a decent chance a hardtail might end up being the only bike you need.
They’re imo more fun.
Cushcore

Maintenance = GMBN, I’m pretty sure Doddy is always high.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I appreciate everyone's input, it's been a great help.

After leaving the shop at closing yesterday evening, I went to the shop to buy the Giant today.

I got there when it opened.

The guy told me the bike was sold, that someone had come by after hours and bought it.

Not sure what to think about that.

Anyhow.

I put a refundable deposit down for one that is supposed to arrive in a week or so.

In the meantime I will continue to look.

I have been enjoying this website:

The stats on the Santa Cruz Chameleon I found particularly interesting.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

After leaving the shop at closing yesterday evening, I went to the shop to buy the Giant today.

The guy told me the bike was sold, that someone had come by after hours and bought it.

Anyhow.

I put a refundable deposit down for one that is supposed to arrive in a week or so.

Hardtail party says the Chameleon is one of the softest Al hardtails he's tested. I'm surprised at how the Trek and Canyons are coming in so heavy. For reference, my steel Ritchey is 28 lbs. Al should be lighter.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008

Anyhow.

SUBWAYed!

i knew that was gonna happen...

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Had the old MTB rebuilt about 6-7 years ago. Lots of stuff refreshed (bearings) or replaced like headset and BB.

Like a brand new bike when I got it back, except with ugly 90s graphics on an overbuilt weighty frame (with beautiful fillet brazed welds) and cantilever brakes.

Am sure if I had stripped the Univega decals and powder coated it, replaced/updated other components, and slapped on some hip modern decals, the bike thieves would love it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: afoaf

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Or Ripmo AF. How much bigger? I'm 6'2" 191 lbs and ride a 120mm rear/130mm front suspension bike. Its fine for trails and light enduro stuff on our buffed out trails in the PNW. At 47, I'm not charging big sh!t anymore.

If I still lived in SoCal, I'd probably want a little more suspension for the rocks. The extra squish will bail you out of situations if you get in over your head and enable you to go faster downhill, but slower uphill.

The best bike is the one you ride. Commit to one, start riding, and keep in mind it might not be your forever bike.
I’m 6’4” 230. Thinking extra suspension so I’m not bottoming out maybe.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Anyhow.

I have an older (2008) chameleon still going strong. Only newer components on it are tires and brakes. If it had thru axles I’d consider replacing the drivetrain, fork and installing a dropper seat post. But it’s too much for a relic that served me well. I could prob get a new chameleon for the money I’d have to put into it. Solid choice for a hardtail.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
How does one build a custom bike without knowing how it's gonna fit?
you have adjustment capabilities with regard to seatpost height, will figure out if you need to shorten or lengthen the stem, hopefully you get the right width for the h.bars, depending on type, and carefully ballpark the frame - as someone wrote here previously, better slightly too small, than too big.

do mtb guys worry about crank arm length?

have fun!