trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Reactions: oeste858

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I stopped into a local shop yesterday after my session to see if they had any Coffin fins

They didn't, but the guy did some digging on the back to see if he could order some for me. He said it looked like he wouldn't be able to get those or really any new futures fins until at least the end of April :oops:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I stopped into a local shop yesterday after my session to see if they had any Coffin fins

They didn't, but the guy did some digging on the back to see if he could order some for me. He said it looked like he wouldn't be able to get those or really any new futures fins until at least the end of April :oops:
FIN SHORTAGE!!

All my board and fin hoarding investing has really paid off this year.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Anyone have a suggestion for fins to try in the Pyzel Shadow? The boar is 5'9.5", I'm 5'9.5"/160# and have been using the JJF medium.

I guess my honeymoon phase with this board is over, but I'd like to try some different fins in it before moving on. With the super thin tail and forward volume, I'm feeling like this board really wants to anchor on a heavily planted front foot, then whip the tail around. There are times when I can line up a section and put the board into the lip and that movement feels amazing, but often (due to my mediocre skills) I end up outrunning the wave a bit and then when I need to drive back towards the pocket I have to really commit to the front foot to drive the board around and I can't lay into the tail like I want to on that sort of cutback without sliding out.

I think some larger, rakier fins might give me more to push against in the back. I tried running the AM1 and it was very obviously not enough fin, I could feel the tail drifting just when pumping and lacked drive. AM2 (and JJF L) seem big for someone my size but might be worth a try if I can find a used set. Any other thoughts? I actually don't currently own any "L" size fins.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Sounds like you might want to try something lIke an AM1.5

True Ames AM in small template is kind of near that. Same goes with the Coffin Bros template. Unfortunately, both are sold out.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Anyone have a suggestion for fins to try in the Pyzel Shadow? The boar is 5'9.5", I'm 5'9.5"/160# and have been using the JJF medium.
Might want to try a different construction depending on what you tried. My testing went like this for example... The Am1 Blackstix wasn't enough for me, so I went to the Am2's which was just too stiff. So than I picked up a set of the blue Am1 honeycomb construction thats a bit stiffer and they were the ticket for me.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
@sdsrfr yeah, major regret not ordering those Coffin fins when I could! I had suspected a fin like that might work better for me but I had a few sessions recently on the Shadow that really made it obvious.

@Waterlogged05 thanks for the suggestion, that looks pretty close to the Coffin set actually. Will consider it.

@trifish honeycomb AM1 is what I tried, I have them in techflex too but I don't think stiffness is the issue. BTW I think it was you who suggested the Machado 2+1 in the Gremlin? I picked up a set and they are far and away the best fins I've used in that board, thanks for the tip.

Another thing I'm considering is trying to find a used set of JJF L and using them with the JJF M back fin.

I think it's kind of interesting - the feeling of driving through a big arcing rail turn on the ghost is what got me into the gremlin/shadow rabbit hole to begin with. The Gremlin is also great for that on the right wave, but it's a feeling that has mostly escaped me on the Shadow, specifically.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
@ehiunno
Awesome, glad they worked out for you in the gremlin. That set stays in my gremlin after testing a lot of different ones.

Might be worth trying the Coffins than for your shadow. I have no experience with them, but the am2's was too big of a jump for me from the am1's. I like the specs of the Coffins more as kinda an inbetweener. You can find them at a few stores online like surf station or cleanline if you end up going that way. https://www.surfstationstore.com/collections/surfboard-accessories-surfboard-fins/products/futures-coffin-bros-fiberglass-thruster-fin-set

Or if you are interested in the am2's I could sell you my honeycombs I only used a few times on the cheap. They just was too much for me and I don't see myself using them in the future

Reactions: sdsrfr

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
@ehiunno
Awesome, glad they worked out for you in the gremlin. That set stays in my gremlin after testing a lot of different ones.

Might be worth trying the Coffins than for your shadow. I have no experience with them, but the am2's was too big of a jump for me from the am1's. I like the specs of the Coffins more as kinda an inbetweener. You can find them at a few stores online like surf station or cleanline if you end up going that way. https://www.surfstationstore.com/collections/surfboard-accessories-surfboard-fins/products/futures-coffin-bros-fiberglass-thruster-fin-set

Or if you are interested in the am2's I could sell you my honeycombs I only used a few times on the cheap. They just was too much for me and I don't see myself using them in the future
Oh! I snagged a Coffin set from Cleanline thanks for the tip. I searched a few days ago but didn't find anything.

Seems like a useful addition to the fin quiver, will let y'all know how they go the next time we get good waves

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Any thoughts on the NVS AM-Comp: https://www.surfnvs.com/collections/thrusters/products/am-comp-l-apex
Looks like AM-2 with a slightly smaller back fin

Or NVS Taylor Knox: https://www.surfnvs.com/collections/thrusters/products/taylor-knox-m-apex
Looks like a rakey slightly larger than M sized fin
those large NVS AM's are a big, stiff fin for someone 160 lbs. I'm glad you found the coffin's, I think they have a much better chance of working.

two combos i liked in my Shadow were JJF L sides with JJF M center and then also the TP1's.

at the time I was riding my Shadow I was prob like 175lbs and I pretty much always ride large fins.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

I guess my honeymoon phase with this board is over, but I'd like to try some different fins in it before moving on. With the super thin tail and forward volume, I'm feeling like this board really wants to anchor on a heavily planted front foot, then whip the tail around. There are times when I can line up a section and put the board into the lip and that movement feels amazing, but often (due to my mediocre skills) I end up outrunning the wave a bit and then when I need to drive back towards the pocket I have to really commit to the front foot to drive the board around and I can't lay into the tail like I want to on that sort of cutback without sliding out.

I think some larger, rakier fins might give me more to push against in the back. I tried running the AM1 and it was very obviously not enough fin, I could feel the tail drifting just when pumping and lacked drive. AM2 (and JJF L) seem big for someone my size but might be worth a try if I can find a used set. Any other thoughts? I actually don't currently own any "L" size fins.
Bigger fins may help (our larges are a good choice because they have some flex/spring in them) but it sounds like you might be better off trying a board like the Phantom, since it is better suited towards the average surfer (guessing from your own words) and also more average waves. The Shadow is a high-performance board for sure, and not always the best choice if your surfing is at mid-range.