Cancel Wokeness?

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Hopefully without taking us all down the drain first.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." MLK Jr.
—"Letter from Birmingham Jail," April 16, 1963

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
What I don't like is you give the nuts on the right stuff to gripe about.

Meanwhile, the GOP won't admit that JB won the election.

That should concern everyone.
If someone doesn't give something to them they will just make stuff up.
It just distracts from the real situation and denigrates real solutions.

Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Because all you have to do is call racism and threaten to smear someone’s reputation if they question you or get in your way.
That subset of students who are woke and want to push their wokeness on everybody else know this, and professors fear them. They will run to admin at the slightest provocation to file a complaint, and if admin's response is not sufficiently harsh enough, the woke students will go after them too. This even happens at the high school level. Whose got the power here?

Reactions: grapedrink

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
That subset of students who are woke and want to push their wokeness on everybody else know this, and professors fear them. They will run to admin at the slightest provocation to file a complaint, and if admin's response is not sufficiently harsh enough, the woke students will go after them too. This even happens at the high school level. Whose got the power here?
Spare the rod, spoil the child. Or something like that.

These are the same nitwits that will someday have their civil rights violated by getting run over while protesting on the freeway.

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD and grapedrink

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Sad. We are to become a homogenized and pasteurized society :cry:

Dr. Seuss pulls 6 titles due to insensitivity and racism

Beloved children's artist and story teller Theodore Geisel's work was not always the most inclusive, and has long been the subject of criticism. Dr. Seuss Enterprises has ceased to publish 6 books that it has identified as problematic.
AP:
Six Dr. Seuss books — including "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street" and "If I Ran the Zoo" — will stop being published because of racist and insensitive imagery, the business that preserves and protects the author's legacy said Tuesday.
"These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong," Dr. Seuss Enterprises told The Associated Press in a statement that coincided with the late author and illustrator's birthday.
"Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises' catalog represents and supports all communities and families," it said.
The other books affected are "McElligot's Pool," "On Beyond Zebra!," "Scrambled Eggs Super!," and "The Cat's Quizzer."

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
It doesn't seem that anyone is eating anyone else. This is a period of negotiation of terms. And the verbiage is being generated so fast, and is changing so fast, that no one can keep up. Even the most woke persons (if you can use the term person now) is constantly in the weeds. But they're trying, which is the point.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
It's ironic that wokeAF is sad that we're becoming homogenized and pasteurized, as that' the direction we're moving away from. We're moving away from racial and ethnic stereotypes.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
When you provide armor there is always the risk the person will use it as a sword.

The message kids need at school is "We fucking behave here."

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I agree that the rioters and the corrupt GOP are a bigger threat.

But there really is crazy coming from the left in the Academy.

Blacks make up 2% of the student population but wokeness is being pushed so hard.

Most teachers in college now are part timers who have no job security.

My three year contract can be not renewed for any reason.

The admins are pushing this story to keep the teachers off balance.

Mcwharter is probably being influenced by an availability cascade.

I'm trying to look for the good ideas in wokeness so I can do my work.

Good teaching is anti racist.
the admins make all the money.

if u wanna target teachers look at all the k-12 slacker overpaid nonsense down here in socal. teach inner city make 110k a year then complain that u r underpaid and undervalued

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It's dumb. X is not a vowel. Why is the left so insistent on making up language and forcing it on everyone?
What happened to womyn?

If it took the aggrieved over a decade to figure out that the Y chromosome is representative of men, well, those sandwiches won't make themselves.

Maybe this is a long game to get us to the point where we can properly speak Cthuvian. :jamon:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
It's ironic that wokeAF is sad that we're becoming homogenized and pasteurized, as that' the direction we're moving away from. We're moving away from racial and ethnic stereotypes.
That is delusional.
Is the better society one without satire and mockery of the human condition. Words and opinions are only that. I encounter some children who get all scared and upset when we come upon certain 'bad words', eg hell, sht, ass. Why? they are just words without context.
A lot of projecting is going on when the context is changed or removed from something that could be used negatively.
Do you think Dr. Suess was mocking minorities in his books?
Do you think children reading those books looked negatively at those cartoons and thought they represented minorities in a derogatory way?
Or minorities saw them and felt bad because the cartoons used cliches to represent cultures?

It is childish and insecure to be hurt when in this context. What the Nazis were doing with caricatures of Jews for their war propaganda is completely different because of context and intent.