Cancel Wokeness?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The right and left wings both feed on the conflict between themselves, they will make sure that whatever inflames tribal passions the most will always be front and center on the national stage.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Key words: "“begin to identify all contracts or other agency spending related to any training on ‘critical race theory,’”

That's not canceling wokeness, that's watching where your money is spent. A lot of what is taught at divisiveness training should be treated like rubber dogshit- you're supposed to point at it and laugh, not pay for it.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
I see the irony. BUT there's a distinction: nobody wants to censor CRT, they don't want it banned from Twitter or YouTube, nobody's gonna riot in protest at the next critical theory conference on a campus They just don't want it pushed on them at the workplace or on their kids in K-12 education. Shoot, hostile work environment lawsuits are already starting to stack up. Why wouldn't they? From the article:

"This sounds, ironically, a lot like the arguments people on the left make about de-platforming right-wingers. To Crenshaw, attempts to ban critical race theory vindicate some of the movement’s skepticism about free speech orthodoxy, showing that there were never transcendent principles at play."

This is a BS argument. Nobody cared about CRT until it started showing up at mandatory work trainings and as K-12 curricula. It's like when the creationists wanted equal representation in biology textbooks without doing that whole scientific evidence thing.

Here's CRT in its own words from an introductory text on the subject: https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt9qg9h2

"Unlike traditional civil rights, which stresses incrementalism and step-by-step progress, critical race theory questions the very foundations of the liberal order, including equality theory, legal reasoning, Enlightenment rationalism, and neutral principles of constitutional law."

Like it or not, CRT IS based in some not so grand traditions: Marxism, postmodernism, and race essentialism. These things are fine and dandy to exist and believe in and proselytize in your free time or study as a profession. Again, please leave them out of the workplace, and hands off the kids. Teaching about racism, sexism, slavery, colonialism, homophobia, etc --learning from unvarnished history-- is a good proposition that is entirely different from teaching critical race theory.

If you really dig deep can you see why maybe some people might object to having this taught to their kids as gospel, or being forced to agree with it at work? I've been to enough trainings and read enough critical theory to place it in the same category as pushing religion on employees or students. Also, with the situation at Evergreen State University we got to see what happens when you apply these theories to the real world and push them to their conclusion. Nothing good my friend. Do your homework on this stuff and make sure you really believe in it before you use it to score partisan points.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

As I have said, this is about controlling faculty at contract time.

But no one listen to Auto. :cry:

Please feel free to accuse me of spinelessness for not standing up to my authoritarian masters.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

As I have said, this is about controlling faculty at contract time.

But no one listen to Auto.
This is hilarious. One guy loses a teaching position and it's a bigger deal than however many of the capitol rioters were cops/military and the basis is that there are no right wing extremists taking over institutions.

LOL

I'm with AOC on disbanding DHS.

Re: the 2nd article.

Let me help with the title somewhat:

"Academics triggered because they might face the same consequences that everyone else in every other profession other than Emperor/monarch has been facing for thousands of years."

These people are more protected and privileged than Louis CK, Bill Maher, and Megyn Kelly. That's impressive.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This is hilarious. One guy loses a teaching position and it's a bigger deal than however many of the capitol rioters were cops/military and the basis is that there are no right wing extremists taking over institutions.

LOL

I'm with AOC on disbanding DHS.

Re: the 2nd article.

Let me help with the title somewhat:

"Academics triggered because they might face the same consequences that everyone else in every other profession other than Emperor/monarch has been facing for thousands of years."

These people are more protected and privileged than Louis CK, Bill Maher, and Megyn Kelly. That's impressive.
I agree that the rioters and the corrupt GOP are a bigger threat.

But there really is crazy coming from the left in the Academy.

Blacks make up 2% of the student population but wokeness is being pushed so hard.

Most teachers in college now are part timers who have no job security.

My three year contract can be not renewed for any reason.

The admins are pushing this story to keep the teachers off balance.

Mcwharter is probably being influenced by an availability cascade.

I'm trying to look for the good ideas in wokeness so I can do my work.

Good teaching is anti racist.

Reactions: Havoc

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
the person who "lost" their teaching position actually quit.
The article says that conservatives are ineffectual.
The Biden Covid relief bill passed.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

There is corruption across the political parties. The rioters this summer and corrupt (D) are also a threat.

I am focusing on what institutions have been infiltrated, and I'm adamant there is more institution infiltration by the right wing than the left wing, BY FUCKING MILES.

I wholeheartedly believe there is intolerance of intolerance in the extreme in "the Academy". I can't think of a better training for workplace politics than having to deal with an ivory tower academic professor lording it over the students in their little fiefdom. I take your word for it that Administration is using to achieve other ends - get rid of people they're not friendly with. Install yes-men (lol yes persons? long distance runaroundabout) etc.

I don't think there are that many employment opportunities where you will never be on eggshells at some point due to political views.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country

Blacks make up 2% of the student population but wokeness is being pushed so hard.

Most teachers in college now are part timers who have no job security.

My three year contract can be not renewed for any reason.

The admins are pushing this story to keep the teachers off balance.

Mcwharter is probably being influenced by an availability cascade.

I'm trying to look for the good ideas in wokeness so I can do my work.

Good teaching is anti racist.
Academia is turning into the DMV.

The Woke Left, all Mediocrities welcome!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The "corporate management" model generally does not include tenure.
The majority of faculty now are on 3 year contracts. Their job title is "Temporary Part Time Faculty."

Before the university adopted this model in the early oughts, we were just called lectures.

Our semester contract states that the assignents are conditional and can be taken away for what ever they feel like.

Don't get me wrong.

I love the job. I still love it.

Even with all the BS.

I happily negotiate the politics. :dancing:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I say the adoption of the corporate management model is what corrupted the Academy.

Wokeness is a tool for my corporate middle managers to weild over the workers.
I agree, but there are quite a few woke ideologues taking advantage of the current environment.
Don’t really get why they have much traction. It’s comes down to being all about power. Same as it ever was.

SF school district has been pushing to rename a bunch of schools. Schools they have decided are named after those who have done bad things to minorities at some point. Such as, Lincoln, maybe Washington and Feinstein(lol)...
All behind closed doors without the input from historians. Procedural lawsuit made them slow down. Now the Mayor is pushing to drop a lot of money in the name of the black community, to right past wrongs. Politics -weird.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I agree, but there are quite a few woke ideologues taking advantage of the current environment.
Don’t really get why they have much traction.
Because all you have to do is call racism and threaten to smear someone’s reputation if they question you or get in your way.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Don’t really get why they have much traction. It’s comes down to being all about power. Same as it ever was.

SF school district has been pushing to rename a bunch of schools. Schools they have decided are named after those who have done bad things to minorities at some point. Such as, Lincoln, maybe Washington and Feinstein(lol)...
All behind closed doors without the input from historians. Procedural lawsuit made them slow down. Now the Mayor is pushing to drop a lot of money in the name of the black community, to right past wrongs. Politics -weird.
What I don't like is you give the nuts on the right stuff to gripe about.

Meanwhile, the GOP won't admit that JB won the election.

That should concern everyone.