Apparently our vaccination strategies are working?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
"The Trump administration’s Operation Warp Speed didn’t worry about the cost of the vaccines or whether the vaccine companies could be held liable for side effects. The Europeans focused on trying to get a low price for the vaccines, and on making sure the vaccine companies could be sued if the vaccines caused problems."

The U.S. threw money at the problem, flooding vaccine makers with billions of dollars in subsidies to increase the speed of vaccine testing and manufacturing. Unlike the EU, the U.S. and the U.K. bought millions of doses of various vaccine candidates last summer, without knowing which ones would be effective.

“The U.S. and the U.K. locked in their supplies before they knew the vaccine was going to work,” Lawrence Gostin, a professor of global-health law at Georgetown University, told me. “The EU was more risk-averse.”

Wow! The Atlantic actual backhandedly praising Trump?

Bizarro world indeed.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Wait, I thought throwing money at problems didn’t work? Where’s ifall?
No, more like bypassing and expediting the red-tape regulation process as much or more than throwing money at it.

That, and being proactive ahead of every procedure to make sure there next to zero lag time between each.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
What are you going on about? I'm asking why a vaccine approved elsewhere has been delayed for approval in the USA?
There’s no delay. The fda can’t approve something that hasn’t been submitted and theres no reciprocity between EMEA and FDA. Look up FDA project Orbis on google.

AZ simply needs to put on their big boy pants and start the process. Call up the fda project manager and request a type A meeting. Their Regulatory lead should have the fda on speed dial.

you are whining about 2 drugs being approved in record time and about a third that simply needs to start the process

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
No, more like bypassing and expediting the red-tape regulation process as much or more than throwing money at it.

That, and being proactive ahead of every procedure to make sure there next to zero lag time between each.
This

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
What are you going on about? I'm asking why a vaccine approved elsewhere has been delayed for approval in the USA?
Because they haven't applied for emergency use yet. Because the level of review is higher than in GB, and because they had really weird results (this is the one that accidentally gave only 1/2 shot in the first dose, but got better results from it than a regular course).

Regardless, J&J's is the game changer and should be out at scale by the end of March if approved this week or next.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Because they haven't applied for emergency use yet. Because the level of review is higher than in GB, and because they had really weird results (this is the one that accidentally gave only 1/2 shot in the first dose, but got better results from it than a regular course).

Regardless, J&J's is the game changer and should be out at scale by the end of March if approved this week or next.

Yeah I'll jump to the front of the line for the J &J one, only one shot, too.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Thank you Janet woodcock! Greatest Acting fda commissioner Ever!
Fixed it. 20 day approval. Pretty boss.

Pfizer has 40M & Moderna 45M shipped to date and both to ship 300M by end Jul2021

J&J to ship 20M by end Mar2021 and 100M by Jul2021.

Astra expects 30M in Apr2021, if they ever submit.

Novavax expects 110M by Sep2021.

no more whining about The pharma industry, K?:waving: