Long Strange Trip the Grateful Dead documentary....

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Surffuerte - that was a great show you posted. Like many others, 70-74 is my favorite era. And although I can appreciate Brent's playing and singing, I never cared much for his era of the band - I tend to listen to 1979 and earlier.

Crazy that Phil is going to be 81 shortly. It seems like yesterday that I went to the Henry J Kaiser to see his 60th birthday bash.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I think he got das boot and his handle vaporized. No Leaverite user
Probably that f’ing IT group at work that erased his account while they were trying to get his work accounts reset so he could come out of retirement

• Wow
Reactions: afoaf

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
stay focused people - this is a thread about the Dead - not an angry, drunk kneeboarder. :roflmao:

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
There's a fun doc on Bobby that came out a couple of years ago. He's still very into playing, has a nice setup in the California hills.

I agree 100% that the Dead are sui generis. I can't stand Phish and 99% of "jam bands" -- completely insipid.

To me some of the real heirs of the Dead are players like like Kurt Vile and Thundercat who play "modern" music rather than pretending it's still 1968.

The secret sauce is Garcia/Hunter. I'm still mad a Jerry for not giving a crap about his physical well being. And for the rest of the band and hangers on for not forcing the issue more forcefully. They just kept squeezing eggs out of the golden goose.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Keith is great, until Donna starts to moan on Playing in the Band. Oh brother! shut her tf up!!!!

:roflmao: :monkey:

Brent was great too, as a singer and player. He pushed Jerry in ways Bobby never could.

But everyone associates "his years" with Jerry's failing health and the mega stadium shows, so the "feeling" was lost...

I say B. S. went to plenty of the stadium shows, and plenty of smaller ones too.... undoubtedly it dissipated the energy, but then stadium concerts and smaller venue shows have nothing to do with one another.

Just like Springsteen in a bar when he started, had nothing to do with him filling stadiums now.

I loved the Brent years. Probably because I was allowed behind the curtain and saw the Wizard of Oz, and got to be a part of the whole backstage scene... :jamon::bowdown:

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Huge Brent fan, absoultey agree on the Jerry/Brent dynamic

I even liked Vince, dug hearing him squeal Long Way to go Home (I think he was the right call instead of Bruce Hornsby.) With Donna, We have the luxury of listening to what ever era we want. I could see how a whole tour with her could drag back in the mid 70’s.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
I miss Dead shows. Dead & Co is a cool option in modern times but the real Dead shows were fucking awesome and I'm glad I got to see a bunch. Those Vegas weekends were all time!

Phish is a different animal. I've been fan since seeing them 2 nights in a row at Spreckels Theater in downtown SD in December 1994. Blew my mind. Definitely not for everyone but their ability to jam and improvise is killer and their level of musicianship is A+. Lyrics are definitely silly/stupid at times but man the peaks and valleys of a good jam live is goosebump city.

Reactions: Norm'

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I’m a head. Always will be. Was never really into the scene but dig the music.

Someone who just recently got into the Dead asked me what my favorite song. I had to do a double take on that...I like them all! Especially at certain times. He didn’t like that answer, didn’t get it. I saw him struggling with it and had to help him out....Alright, I’ve seen/heard Johnny B. Goode a few too many times as an encore.

Haven't seen the doc, will have to check it.

Lol, typing this out at my desk and have my favorite 100 shows at my feet. (so nice having this photo upload option now).

Maxell XLII 90 tapes were what we lived for. My parents would get me 10 packs of them for Christmas and Birthdays. Trippy remembering that.

View attachment 105445
I went digital several years ago when Grateful Dead still allowed soundboards to be diwnloaded from live music archive and bt.tree. I had a huge library of tapes that I sent to a head from NC for postage and now have my whole archive of live music Dead and non dead on CDR. I was a taper as well and still have many of my recordings on LMA to share for free.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Purely in a strict psychedelic sense, Grateful Dead seemed far less psychedelic than other bands of the era, so I am never too sure how they seemed to capture that flag of the scene.

Growing up, I think my first exposure to the Grateful Dead was seeing the signature skeleton. On the way to the top of Council Crest in Portland, there was a huge 1/4 pipe with a Dead skeleton on it in someone's driveway. From that, I figured skateboarders bombing down the hill must listen to the most hyper rock-n-roll ever.

Imagine my surprise when I finally heard some bluegrass folk jazz with country twang coming from some speakers and being told by one of sisters who it was.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Surffuerte - that was a great show you posted. Like many others, 70-74 is my favorite era. And although I can appreciate Brent's playing and singing, I never cared much for his era of the band - I tend to listen to 1979 and earlier.

Crazy that Phil is going to be 81 shortly. It seems like yesterday that I went to the Henry J Kaiser to see his 60th birthday bash.
I was at Phil's 60th bday show that was one of my favorite friends lineup with Little Feat and Robbin Ford. I also saw another great Phil/Dylan show 4 months later at Ventura fairgrounds. This and the '98 Other Ones line up been my favorite after Jer line ups.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I caught the Phil/Dylan show in Reno that tour. Was a good one. Saw Further 2000 with The Other Ones in Chula Vista. Ziggy Marley opened. Another fun show.

I was at Phil's 60th bday show that was one of my favorite friends lineup with Little Feat and Robbin Ford. I also saw another great Phil/Dylan show 4 months later at Ventura fairgrounds. This and the '98 Other Ones line up been my favorite after Jer line ups.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I like the Skull and Roses album.

On the other hand I really don't get jam bands and the culture.

Phish, Dave Matthews, OAR, etc.

It reminds me of well off white college kids from the NE. Who can be some of my least favorite people.
I tried listening today for the first time and decided they were a Boomer band. The documentary is for Boomers who are retiring and need something to do so they watch TV.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
There will forever be those who get It.

There will forever be those who just don't, and never will, irregardless.

There are those who had the privilege to actually have been "on the bus", from the inside looking out. Like a circle, trying to fit into a square.

There are those of us who headed up to the hills, others of us bought a sailboat and are navigating still, many of us went into the woods, and are now "trending" for what the helicopters used to come fly over and steal. Some of us went expat, we still grow, we still surf, we still dose, we still dance, we still "get it" on the regular.

Of course, those who never understood, well it's ok... Not everything is for everyone, is it?

Whichever side of the "Grateful Dead Equation" you may happen to coincidentally fall, happy trails to you all!

:love::cheers::applause2::bowdown::shaka::waving:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I only went to one dead concert
Around 79 at Madison square garden
Blacked out or passed out right at the beginning of the show
Wasted opportunity