House for Sale on Lanai

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Hell, if I had a cherry picker, couple of sit down mowers and one with a vac, all of the normal every day weed wackers, hedge trimmers, etc, a tree limb grinder and maybe 3 workers, we could make a good pay day 3 - 4 times a week on yard maintenance on that stretch of land pictured above.

The folks that live below me on the Kilauea River have 2 different yard maintenance crews that work on their property every day AND a tree trimmer, over one year who has paid off his rig, his new Ford diesel truck and his grinder by cutting all of his clients large trees, removing all the bamboo that grew along my lower property line and the neighbors on both sides of me. Large overhead trees can pose a big hazard in strong trades or hurricane strong winds. Chit keeps growing in paradise 24 .... 7 ~

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Hell, if I had a cherry picker, couple of sit down mowers and one with a vac, all of the normal every day weed wackers, hedge trimmers, etc, a tree limb grinder and maybe 3 workers, we could make a good pay day 3 - 4 times a week on yard maintenance on that stretch of land pictured above.

The folks that live below me on the Kilauea River have 2 different yard maintenance crews that work on their property every day AND a tree trimmer, over one year who has paid off his rig, his new Ford diesel truck and his grinder by cutting all of his clients large trees, removing all the bamboo that grew along my lower property line and the neighbors on both sides of me. Large overhead trees can pose a big hazard in strong trades or hurricane strong winds. Chit keeps growing in paradise 24 .... 7 ~
IIRC a surf camp was built in one front of one of the famous jungle surf spots in Indo where it’s super thicc. They ended up shutting it down because the crews couldn’t keep the jungle from taking it over :drowning:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

It’s crazy the money some people have. I work in tree care and have a lot of high end clients. A big portion of them have dedicated crews for their grounds. Occasionally the homeowners poach one of our guys for their own crew. I actually had an opportunity to do that; tree care for a guys private island here but my intro came about a week too late.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Only been to Lana'i for work, day-trips, with the stone work on The Lodge at Koele. Fancy Shmancy place!

Friends who live on Oahu are doing tree trimming right now and are busy as all get out right now.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Man I’d love to work in Hawaii. What’s the name of company @HarryLopez2? Oahu tree works is a company I’ve always followed from over there
These two brothers who are friends of mine, they wouldn't have a well known/established company. They also have a farm in Waimanalo. I'll reach out to them and see whats da scoops.

Reactions: manbearpig

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Hey, are old Japanese gardeners still a thing in the Islands? Maybe I could get a gig there when I retire...

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
most of the tree crews here are tongan, samoan or fijian.
most of the yard crews here are filipino
most of the pool crews here are haole
There's a high demand for yard/lawn/tree maintenance folks here especially on the big island and anywhere there are investment housing estates where people only live here a month or so a year.
One of the best gigs you can get here is as a live on property housesitter/caretaker at one of these many estates here. Think Magnum PI lifestyle.

Oh yah and the old japanese guys are either doing bonsai or orchid farms.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I worked as a "House-Boy" once, did whatever the housekeeper lady wanted. Refinishing Floors landcaping, running errands. Some days all we would was go to the store to buy her beer and lottery tickets. Unfortunately, this was about as far from Hawaii as you could get on most levels.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Trim all you want with a D-9 Cat, Excavator, Backhoe & Bobcat. Water and power lines. Backfill. Cement. Building (s). Dirt ..... etc
Permits, are the hangup. Supplies. Labor ...
There will be no digging on our towns land.

We don't even have sewage here Peter.

Too expensive to crack through the rock to lay the pipe. Everyone treats and recycles 100% of household waste water here.

Let me put it this way... When we first moved here, I bought a pick axe to dig holes for trees. After three tries, and dislodging some fillings in my teeth, we rented a back hoe digger instead... After three days chopping at the ground, solid rock all of it everywhere, the guy looks at my pick axe and tells me I wasted my money on that tool as he chuckled.

He was right... I hung it as an ornament... Never used it again.

There will be no trimming of the volcanic rocks thank you kind sir!

:unsure::shameonyou:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Pool guy on the other hand? Solar panel installers? Plumbers, Mechanics, Electricians... The usual.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Hey, are old Japanese gardeners still a thing in the Islands? Maybe I could get a gig there when I retire...
To really sell it, you're going to need the appropriate tools. Buy this tomorrow and start using ASAP because a Japanese gardener isn't all that special unless the right tools (below) show marks from real use.

It is like me with my chainsaw...think I just wear any old set of coveralls and a t-shirt? Hells to the no! Got the right worn plaid flannel, burly moleskin trousers, chunky boots, and, the piece de la resistance, a missing foot, and facial scar from that time I mixed it up in the pancake line at the cookhouse over that timeworn issue of whipped butter versus tab of margarine.

1612983894118.png

I worked as a "House-Boy" once, did whatever the housekeeper lady wanted.
Tell us more.....

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012

I did some events at Oprah's montecito place before and after she bought it and seems the same. Full time maintenance crew. Imagine owning owning a small hotel with super pricey landscaping landscaping and 100% vacancy 24/7/365.