*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I was a little perplexed by the news today in CA. Last week was code red - 1-3 Angelenos got the bug, its worse than ever. This week he's relaxing restrictions. Seems pretty obvious hes a little scared of his position right now.

Id hate to be the one making these type of decisions, that's for sure.
You should not be perplexed about this news.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
The events of today really show how when politicians like Gavin Newsom are unable to manipulate a situation they are pretty much worthless.

I think he has pretty much sealed his fate today...a 180 degree turn giving even more people a reason to despise him.

The irony is that the about-face is 100% due to his fear of recall and yet he just made it more likely.

Also, showing utter arrogance and contempt for your constituents - by telling them they're too dumb to be allowed to see the science and data metrics he's using (hint: he's not using any) - that allowed them to lift the order - is not a good look.
Dude banged his campaign manager's wife and then expects people to trust him.

We disagree on a lot but I feel you on Newsome. Not a California voter but the guy just seems slimy.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Same in this state. The whole thing has removed the scales from my eyes about the public schools. I used to think they were better than illiteracy, but the shutdowns of schools motivated me to look at the state's test scores and curriculum changes and realize that they weren't teaching much before, even in UMC schools, and most of what they did teach was harmful. In the lower class districts, there was really no difference between them being opened or closed except as a meal service and day care. The kid down the street is doing zoom from 8-10 AM through the local public school. His parents think it's a joke. The rest are doing charter schools, homeschools or private school.

COVID just pounded the last nails in. lol that the teachers still have their hands out for pay.

I was a little perplexed by the news today in CA. Last week was code red - 1-3 Angelenos got the bug, its worse than ever. This week he's relaxing restrictions. Seems pretty obvious hes a little scared of his position right now.
Something tells me he'll land on his feet. Don't lose sleep over Gavy.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Id hate to be the one making these type of decisions, that's for sure.
There was zero percent ICU bed availability yesterday in the Southern California region, today 14%. The difference....they changed the count metrics used to determine percentage. It was never beds available/total beds but instead a formula with a fixed outcome.

Ventura County is green on every metric except ICU bed availability....but I suspect by tomorrow VC will be green across the board. I doubt anything will change because the VC Public Health Director Rigo Vargas is an actual moron...or as they say in the south..."touched".

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Ran in to old roommate at Home Depot on Saturday. He told me that Kelly Logan died three weeks ago of Covid.

Who's Kelly Logan?
He regulated the regulators at Lunada.
That’s heavy. I grew up there. He was a lot older (or so it seemed then). I was flat out scared of that guy. He would cruise around around on that motorcycle. he seemed invincible in my mind.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The covid took trump out.

Looks like it's going to take Gavin out.

I wonder who else.

Can't wait to see what the new more contagious strain does to the society.

I predict more carnage.

Reactions: JDJ

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There was zero percent ICU bed availability yesterday in the Southern California region, today 14%. The difference....they changed the count metrics used to determine percentage. It was never beds available/total beds but instead a formula with a fixed outcome.

Ventura County is green on every metric except ICU bed availability....but I suspect by tomorrow VC will be green across the board. I doubt anything will change because the VC Public Health Director Rigo Vargas is an actual moron...or as they say in the south..."touched".
By now, it should be obvious that our bureaucrats and politicians lie as easily as they breathe, ostensibly "for the common good." They never explain how lying works for the common good.

Judging by the comments on a local rag I read, many Californians are happy with this. They just want to do what they're told and yell at anyone who doesn't. John Milton had a take on this:
"Bad men" are "all naturally servile," they desire "to have the public State conformably governed to the inward vicious rule, by which they govern themselves," and they "color over their base compliances" with "the falsified names of Loyalty, and Obedience."

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Boom:
Note: Our infections estimates include all new infected individuals of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, not just those that took a COVID-19 test and tested positive. As of January 2021, we estimate the true number of infected individuals in the US to be roughly 2-4x higher than the reported cases (25-50% detection rate). See our writeup, Estimating True Infections, for a more detailed look into this subject.
Seroprevalence studies estimated a 10x true infection rate, but whatever. Excess deaths indicate this will be over sooner:
1611689979504.png

Also, boom:

While small benefits cannot be excluded, we do not find significant benefits on case growth of more restrictive NPIs. Similar reductions in case growth may be achievable with less restrictive interventions.
For example, Japan.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
remember when he said it was because of 5g!

hahahahaha
When I was in NZ in March, a radio talk show host said you couldn't catch COVID if you didn't open your mouth. Just breath through your nose. Mouth breathers are doomed. Maybe that's their secret?

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
By now, it should be obvious that our bureaucrats and politicians lie as easily as they breathe, ostensibly "for the common good." They never explain how lying works for the common good.

Judging by the comments on a local rag I read, many Californians are happy with this. They just want to do what they're told and yell at anyone who doesn't. John Milton had a take on this:
Consistent messaging and a positive outcome are what many people want, I think. Uncertainty adds to the stress. Others want to see sausage being made. There should be room for both.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Consistent messaging and a positive outcome are what many people want, I think. Uncertainty adds to the stress. Others want to see sausage being made. There should be room for both.
Also, inconsistent messaging and shifting goalposts cause people to look into how the sausage as made. Consider the email I just received:
This is a difficult letter to write. It came after hours of meetings with our Health and Safety team, in consultation with County Health officials, principals, and senior leaders from across the organization.

The Governor has issued new, unexpected guidelines for schools. On January 14, 2021, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) issued a new public health directive with new requirements for all public and private schools in the state.

You can read the highlights in this all-county letter from Dr. Naomi Bardach, head of the CDPH’s recently formed Safe Schools for All Team. You can also find the full directive and many other resources on the State of California’s Safe Schools for All Hub. In our weekly meetings with members of the County Health Department, we are working together to understand these new requirements and are pleased to be partners in this process to benefit our community.

There are three immediate important items in the new public health directive for our review and follow up.

First, the CDPH directive creates a brand new definition for what it means for a school to be open. The term “open” or “reopen” refers to a school site that offers general in-person instruction to all students in at least one grade. Specifically, to meet the definition of “open” or “reopen,” the following criteria must be accomplished: (a) school site must have been open (b) given all students in at least one grade the option to return for in-person instruction for (c) general instruction (i.e., not just one subject) for (d) at least part of the school week while the County was in the Red Tier or lower. As you may recall, San Diego County moved from the Red Tier to the Purple Tier on November 14, 2020.

Six of our seven campuses have met the new criteria for “open” or “reopen.” We did not meet the criteria at <redacted> High School - Personalized Learning Campus. While all students in each grade level had the option to return for in-person activities at CAHS-PL, this did not meet the requirement of in-person instruction as stated in the new definition.

Second, in the new directive, CDPH clarifies that teacher and other team member desks are to be at least 6 feet away from students and other team member desks. Student chairs are to be at least 6 feet away from one another, except where 6 feet of distance is not possible after a good-faith effort has been made, and under no circumstances should the distance between student chairs be less than 4 feet. This is new; previously, the CDPH document had indicated “six feet as practicable.”

Our Option A plans need to be revised based on this new information.

Third, the new directive clearly requires all schools (including middle and high schools) to implement “stable groups” of students and teachers for in-person instruction. CDPH defines a stable group as “a group with fixed membership that stays together without mixing with any other groups for any activities” and is noted to be a “key mitigation layer in schools.” While this is not an issue in some of our programs, our leaders and teachers are discussing how this will be accomplished at the middle and high school levels, as well as C'lectives, as it does not appear that we can run a traditional bell schedule with students mixing with students and teachers in multiple classes. We seek more clarification from CDPH, local health authorities, legal counsel on this issue, and our revised Option, A plans for grades 7-12 and K-8 C’lectives, will be based on this new information.

Next steps:

1. As a result of the new directive, we plan to modify our Option A plans for grades K-6 as follows: Starting Monday, February 8, 2021, students at the following campuses in these specific tracks and grades will come to class for ONE half-day per week:

• redacted Academy - A/B Track grades K-6
  • The redacted academy (redacted) - A/B Track grades K-6
  • redacted academy redacted - A/B grades K-8 (grades 7 & 8 are self-contained classrooms and meet the stable group criteria)
Families at these three campuses and in these grades/tracks will receive a detailed Back to School email on February 1, 2021. This will include a link to tell us which day you prefer to be your “on campus” day.

2. For grades 7-12 and grades K-8 C'lectives, as stated, we are seeking guidance on stable groups. Once we have additional guidance, we will revise our plans and communicate with families as soon as possible.

3. In the meantime, based on the new directive, all of our schools are allowed to “provide in-person supervision, instruction, targeted support services, and facilitation of distance learning for some students, especially high-need student groups and students who may not be able to benefit fully from distance learning offerings.” As such, we are reviewing our current plans for our most vulnerable students to engage in distance learning from a classroom on our middle school and high school sites and communicate if there will be any changes in those groups. Additionally, we are evaluating our ability to expand this to include additional groups of students and update you as soon as we have more information.

These are challenging times for us all! In our weekly dialog with County Health officials, these topics are being discussed, vetted, and we have their support. It is times like these that we are deeply reminded of the value of our community. We appreciate the parents, our community, and the students we are honored to serve. Curveballs from state officials are pretty much a given, and our teams' adaptability has been quintessential in supporting the success we have and want to continue to have at<redacted>
Has the science changed requiring a revision to the previous guidelines? No. I can only guess that these new state guidelines came from negotiations with the California teacher's unions who said they would review the governor's plan for re-opening schools. Vaccines were not enough, the unions said. They wanted the whole nine yards.

Obviously this will drag out the rest of the school year into the fall. I'm already hearing from red-pilled teachers - the few there are - that the messaging to parents is just intended to keep them from dis-enrolling altogether and finding other options since the school districts have no intention of re-opening completely in the fall.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta