Mental Health thread

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I retired.

Was asked to come back. Was begged to come back.

The powers that be have known this for 6 months. January 1st, my email account and privledges from 16 years of service were deleted. Pau.

Non retreivable. I was asked and tasked to help do the colleges 2020 W2's. Two weeks spent trying to get our IT Dept. to give me the priveledges/access I need to do the fvcking job. I'm working now but only 6 more bidness days left to turn out a workable product.

All I have to say is never give your employer an advance notice of retirement. It's not fvcking worth it.
I hope you asked them to pay you in wheelbarrows full of cash for going back

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'll take Arabian Nights FTW Alex.

Oldest University in the world that is still open, and educating, in Fez, Morocco. They still teach religion, culture and languages there. Think they started round 860 drawing off the top of my noggin?
The University of al-Qarawiyyin is a "university" in the sense that al-Azhar is a "university": both are historically mosques, madrassas, and schools of Islamic jurisprudence (fiqh). Al-Qarawiyyin is of the Malaki school; al-Azhar has representatives of all four schools. Later some added elements of the trivium and quadrivium.

Modern Western colleges and universities are not derived from al-Qarawiyyin in any way but date to the Carolingan educational reforms at least 100 years earlier while Mohammed's followers were still conquering North Africa. It's true that many Western universities started as seminaries (Harvard, Yale, and Princeton for example) and later expanded their curriculum like al-Qarawiyyin, but their philosophy and worldview is not descended from the Islamic tradition.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
how silly of me, of course only western learning centers apply. :crazy2:

:shameonyou:

regardless of religion, and universities, you can thank the arab world for too long of a list of the actual syllabus of modern teaching institutions all over the world.

you have heard of mathematics? for example, just to name one.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
how silly of me, of course only western learning centers apply. :crazy2:

regardless of religion, and universities, you can thank the arab world for too long of a list of the actual syllabus of modern teaching institutions all over the world.
No, we can't. I just proved this wrong. I haven't even touched classical Greek culture that predates Islam by 1000 years. Islamic "universities" themselves were likely copied the seminaries and synagogues of conquered North African and Near Eastern Christians - Augustine (d. 430 AD) was a North African - and Jews . Arabs had no tradition of learning institutions before Mohammed. They were nomads and traders, aside from the impressive city of Petra they built.

you have heard of mathematics? for example, just to name one.
This is another post-hoc fallacy. The fact that they invented al-jabr does not mean they invented the modern Western university that teaches it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
You're not curious about this? You're just going to go along with it? Why?

Yes.
View attachment 104107

haha wut?
Nope. I can understand why some would not want to celebrate someone who destroyed civilizations and funneled wealth out of the region. It doesn't threaten me.

It's cute to think that education and study has only existed since Europe got its sh!t together...

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
All I have to say is never give your employer an advance notice of retirement. It's not fvcking worth it.
So you just don't show up one day?

They asked you back and you chose to go back.

Isn't that just poor decision making on your part?

Seem like the target of your venom should be yourself?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Nope. I can understand why some would not want to celebrate someone who destroyed civilizations and funneled wealth out of the region. It doesn't threaten me.
I have Irish ancestors. The English plundered and starved the Irish yet I have no problems speaking English and learning from English culture. I am a Protestant yet have never had a problem living in cities named by the same Spaniards who persecuted my ancestors for 200 years with the help of the Pope and House of Guise. Your theocratic and puritanical worldview is not at all practical or realistic. Your Whig history is idiotically reductionistic.

It's cute to think that education and study has only existed since Europe got its sh!t together...
I don't. Total mischaracterization of what I said. Aren't there ethical and cognitive standards in your line of work?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I have Irish ancestors. The English plundered and starved the Irish yet I have no problems speaking English and learning from English culture. I am a Protestant yet have never had a problem living in cities named by the same Spaniards who persecuted my ancestors for 200 years with the help of the Pope and House of Guise. Your theocratic and puritanical worldview is not at all practical or realistic. Your Whig history is idiotically reductionistic.
You are the arbiter of it all then? Cool. If you don't have an issue, no issue exists. This is the attitude that is part of the problem.

I don't. Total mischaracterization of what I said. Aren't there ethical and cognitive standards in your line of work?
This convo has probably surpassed its usefulness in this particular thread. Particularly with the cartwheels and nitpicking you're doing to articulate the things you have or have not said.

Probably my fault for jumping on Leaver's comment, even with his history of problematic posts.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You are the arbiter of it all then? Cool. If you don't have an issue, no issue exists. This is the attitude that is part of the problem.
The problem is that philistines like yourself would rather erase history rather than learn from it.

This convo has probably surpassed its usefulness in this particular thread. Particularly with the cartwheels and nitpicking you're doing to articulate the things you have or have not said.
You can't understand what you read. What you write is a mixture of evasive doublespeak and nonsense.
Probably my fault for jumping on Leaver's comment, even with his history of problematic posts.
Yep. Definitely your fault. You're the arbiter of what is problematic?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Change is not erasure. Evolution is not erasure.

History is not being erased when a community college changes its name. We are simply choosing which myths it chooses to canonize.
If you were honest - which you are not - you'd admit that these "changes" are going far beyond changing the name but are also extending into the curriculum. Also Cabrillo was not a myth. Does your doublespeak ever end? What is it you said you did for a living?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
If you were honest - which you are not - you'd admit that these "changes" are going far beyond changing the name but are also extending into the curriculum. Also Cabrillo was not a myth. Does your doublespeak ever end? What is it you said you did for a living?
Cabrillo as a man existed. As countless billions of them have existed.

Cabrillo as a monument, as a symbol, as a story, was/is created. The inclusions and omissions that deem him to be a figure worth celebrating and commemorating are intentional, not incidental.

I'm not sure what specifics to curriculum changes you're implying, but any change in curriculum that encourages students to study histories that includes more voices rather than mythology that lionizes those that hold power would lead one to reconsider who we mythologize and commemorate, and why. The idea is to then let students think for themselves. That's the hard part.

What's the attachment to Cabrillo?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Cabrillo as a man existed. As countless billions of them have existed.

Cabrillo as a monument, as a symbol, as a story, was/is created. The inclusions and omissions that deem him to be a figure worth celebrating and commemorating are intentional, not incidental.
So is the decision to remove him.

I'm not sure what specifics to curriculum changes you're implying, but any change in curriculum that encourages students to study histories that includes more voices rather than mythology that lionizes those that hold power would lead one to reconsider who we mythologize and commemorate, and why.
Teaching about something is not the same as mythologizing or lionizing. Historical figures are a mixed bag. You're talking about erasure.

The idea is to then let students think for themselves. That's the hard part.
Be honest. You're not really letting students think for themselves. As you said above, you're decentralizing anything from Europe which obviously extends to the curriculum. What does this mean, practically? Throwing out Maxwell's equations? Fourier? Gauss? Newton? English lit? English grammar?

What's the attachment to Cabrillo?
No attachment. He was a mixed bag who died as he lived: by the sword. I am highly resistant to your project to erase history and skulkers like you are never honest about their long-term intentions. Let's say, for the sake of argument, Cabrillo and Cortez never teamed up destroy the Aztec empire. Have you read about Meso-American and the Incan empires? Part of the reason 100,000 non-Aztec Meso-Americans were willing to join forces with Cortez was because of Aztec brutality including slavery, rape, and human sacrifice. There were pyramids of skulls near Aztec temples. About 10 years prior to Cortez' landing, the Aztecs went on a sacrificing spree designed to intimidate the subject tribes that took 100,000 lives. Bernal Diaz del Castillo's account of Aztec brutality is confirmed by the archaeology. The Incan empire was about the same.

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
When it’s flat, cold, and really windy (and your house was built on some stock plans intended for a Miamian climate circa late 80’s) you know what’s good for mental health? This. Who cares that it’s 7 am
522A1AE2-4D6C-4A39-9C93-87B88E29EB13.jpeg

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
When it’s flat, cold, and really windy (and your house was built on some stock plans intended for a Miamian climate circa late 80’s) you know what’s good for mental health? This. Who cares that it’s 7 am
View attachment 104158
Well, there's one more thing, at least I'd add to that... And, for mental health sake, I'll give it to you in song. Read it to yourself while listening to 70's NY boardwalk carnival music....

Here goes, ahem..

"A jar of weed,
A jarbof weed,
Everything's better with a jar of WEED!"

Repeat as many times as necesario on loop mode in your head.

:ban::dancing::trout::roflmao::waving:

• Haha
Reactions: Subway