So how did your boards go with this last run of swell?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Any changes you’d want to make?

Any that skunked you while others were charging with ease?

Weight issues, eps/epoxy being too corky while trying to dig in while going fast?

Sounds like Pyzel and John John even had issues with the Padillac at monster Himalayas. Wonder how they’ll change that up.

Reactions: oeste858

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Any changes you’d want to make?

Any that skunked you while others were charging with ease?

Weight issues, eps/epoxy being too corky while trying to dig in while going fast?

Sounds like Pyzel and John John even had issues with the Padillac at monster Himalayas. Wonder how they’ll change that up.
Resource?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
For me, I have my boards pretty dialed.

The big one I messed with were the quad trailers.

I found the point where I need to take out the Single Foil rears and replace them with the 80/20’s and then the conditions that warrant Double foiled. Rear fin size doesn’t need to change once I have it figured for the board.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Great thread. Nothing like a long pumping swell after an awfully flat few months to make us take a hard look at our boards. Well, I added to the SD grovel quiver all summer and fall. Got that dialed with good options for most of our avg surf.
I'm over paddling fish and small boards in big surf, so I knew I needed a mini-stepup and ended up getting the used 6'3 Ghost- which is fun on the steeper sections but just too HP for me and where I surf when its big enough. Impulse-bought the 6'1 Twinsman rp this month, which is fun for HH surf and should be fairly versatile. 6'8 R. Blackbird solidified its spot at the top of the quiver for closer to DOH (as big as I wanna surf around here) and has gotten used effectively lately. Still plan to find a ministepup for next winter, currently thinking smaller (6'3-6'5) BB, or maybe Pyzel Shortcut, or F-Rocket.

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I also spent all spring/summer bolstering the sub-5'10 small wave/fishy part of my quiver, and I'm glad I found a used 6'3 R. Blackbird in time for this month. There were a few sessions I paddled out with a 5'10 bump-squash HPSB in shifty high tide conditions, with a lot of water moving, when I wished I had a bigger board... and this remedied that. I'd go with a 6'4 stock BB were I to order one new.

Ditto on an F Rocket or even a long fish for next winter, assuming the crowds stay the same. I checked out a 6'2 'everyday' F Rocket at the Patagonia Cardiff shop and it is a NICE board.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Late discovery of foam

6'10 blackbird got ridden even when it wasn't completely called for. Two days it definitely was and I had much greater success. Made me realize I want more board in waves over head high. I am going to order a beefy 6'4" next fall to maybe replace my 6'2" HPSB

Bonzer egg worked awesome even up to a few feet overhead on those high tide mornings where it could go from slopey to barreling from one wave to another.

6'2" stumps crow works good in clean hollow waves.

grovelers are getting no attention and I don't care!

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Rode my 7'6 and 8'3 Blackbirds when it was anywhere from 8-15 feet. Erring on the side of bigger boards because I want to catch more waves and get in as early as possible. Content with drops, bottom turns, highlines, and the occasional top turn in big waves. EA Quads when it's clean and lined up.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Started thinking about hipster step ups after watching Tudor at Blacks during this last run. But then realized that probably wouldn't work for me as a mere mortal and that I should stick to normal boards

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858