Album Surfboards

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Something about Kerr's surfing on the Albums is more appealing than his surfing on thrusters ever were. Not sure if it's the cloud of marketing / twin hype that makes me view it through rose tinted lenses or not though.

Feb 5, 2019
What are you guy's thoughts on the insanity vs twinsman. Trying to decide on one. Insanity seems to have more range

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Ridden my Insanity a bit this winter. Mine is an inch under my own height. For me its pretty much a good wave board/step up. The narrow tail and low rocker has it feeling pretty stiff in anything very weak or mushy. I could see going a little shorter/wider to squeeze a little more low end out of it if someone wanted more of a daily driver. As a quad mind never felt loose enough. Twin plus trailer is my preferred setup. It packs foam up front so is a great paddler/wave catcher. Ive had some good sessions, especially in bigger open faced waves but ive had a few sessions where it almost feels like overkill. Sort of like taking a Ghost out when its head high.

Cant comment on the twinsman yet. Maybe in a month or two. As a dedicated twin with a wing in the outline im betting it will be a looser ride. I also went 3 inches under height with length on the one i ordered so it should be a bit easier to throw around.

Feb 5, 2019
Had some debate between a twinsman and lightbender but got a lightbender on order thanks to all the positive hype from here. Frothing

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
no naming spots!
EDIT: Pulled the trigger! that twinsman RP was the one I was really eyeing, but was trying to talk myself into the 6'6 LightBlender since it's less similar to anything I've got, but it's really too wide for me at 22.5. Might be able to go pick up the twinsman RP tomorrow. Stocked. Now just gotta thin the herd and get rid of a couple that aren't getting ridden.
How does it go?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
How does it go?
definitely still feeling it out after only a few waves in tricky conditions on it Wed. Kinda wasted the first wave adjusting my feet and getting used to the concave deck. Next couple waves were fun when I got it on rail and got some open face to carve. Most of the twins I ride are swallow tails so requires a little adjustment. It almost has the outline and feel of a 70's single fin. Has that fishy paddle-in and glide with the thickness under chest, but really need to get the foot back to the tail to crank turns. The rails are a trip because they come from pretty thick at the edge of the concave deck (about 3" in before the Album lams start) and taper down dramatically. I'll try to show in a photo. Kinda awkward holding onto the rails when duckdiving. But yeah, fast and carve-y with the Akila fins and should be a great option when there's some CH-OH swell. The fin suggestion when I picked it up at the shop was the Album NVS, or any upright twin, so I'm going to use the Akilas for now as I really like them. Hope to ride it a lot the next few weeks.IMG_4895.jpegIMG_4897.jpegIMG_4894.jpegimage_ab2997f0-00ab-4ef6-9e0d-9fd66879a43f.jpgimage_69888361-9863-4b2e-8889-f0b92807fc00.jpg

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
definitely still feeling it out after only a few waves in tricky conditions on it Wed. Kinda wasted the first wave adjusting my feet and getting used to the concave deck. Next couple waves were fun when I got it on rail and got some open face to carve. Most of the twins I ride are swallow tails so requires a little adjustment. It almost has the outline and feel of a 70's single fin. Has that fishy paddle-in and glide with the thickness under chest, but really need to get the foot back to the tail to crank turns. The rails are a trip because they come from pretty thick at the edge of the concave deck (about 3" in before the Album lams start) and taper down dramatically. I'll try to show in a photo. Kinda awkward holding onto the rails when duckdiving. But yeah, fast and carve-y with the Akila fins and should be a great option when there's some CH-OH swell. The fin suggestion when I picked it up at the shop was the Album NVS, or any upright twin, so I'm going to use the Akilas for now as I really like them. Hope to ride it a lot the next few weeks.View attachment 103801View attachment 103802View attachment 103803View attachment 103804View attachment 103805
beauty! you're starting to approach @Aruka level with your board buying!

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
They do make purty boards. The few times my wife and I have done the staycation thing at the Ritz-Laguna Niguel, she always says how nice their boards look. There are probably eight or so hanging up on the walls in various locations.

I really want an asym Twinsman, but have an incoming Ghost and a Haydenshapes' Psychdelic Germ, so I'll probably need to wait until my wife gets used to seeing those two before a new friend can join the group.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Dang the twinsman looks fun.

Surfed the disorder for the third time in some small reef waves this morning at my high tide spot. Burger roll in, turn section, either race or pull into a tiny lil barrel. Still riding the TA Album fins. Pretty insanely fast. I was off my game this morning and the speed made it so I was still getting around sections. The feel when you transition to long toe side rail to short heel side rail is interesting. Makes nice tight schralps.

Jan 28, 2011
NC
Just picked up a new 5’4” Twinsman. Now the real debate...traction pad or no?

I have a Plasmic without a pad but a ton of heel dents on the tail. On the other hand I have a JS Black Baron with a pad on it and the tail seems to have held up better.

Reactions: oeste858

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Just picked up a new 5’4” Twinsman. Now the real debate...traction pad or no?

I have a Plasmic without a pad but a ton of heel dents on the tail. On the other hand I have a JS Black Baron with a pad on it and the tail seems to have held up better.
I put a traction pad on my Twinsman RT. I'm happy with my choice!

Reactions: RobG814